Priceline Hotel: 3* New Haven (Orange-WestHaven) Courtyard

relaxing41
By relaxing41,
in

I first attempted to bid for 5 nights mon thru saturday with the below bids

First bid of $35 rejected bid $37 at the 2.5 level and was rejected

added East Haven as a free rebid (no three star properties there) and bid $40 this was rejected

I decreased bidding days by one night (mon thru friday) and then bid $41 rejected

I added East haven as a free rebed and bid $42 and was accepted

my final bid of $37 plus $5 bonus money total of $42 came to the following

Room Cost (avg. per room, per night): $37.00 (USD)

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Guests Per Room: 2

Number of Nights: 4

Room Subtotal: $148.00 (USD)

Taxes and Fees: $34.72 (USD)

Total Room Cost: $182.72 (USD)

The rate for mon - wed was $138 and the rate for thursday and friday was $182

While staying here I learned that the hotel employees rate per night is $39.99

Friday morning before checkout I attempted to add a night but was given a screen that said that my additonal nights for this hotel should be requested prior

to midnight the night before check out. This is something new to me since in the past Ive been allowed to add nights right up till 12 noon the day of checkout.

This is the second time Ive tried to add nights on the last day and was not able to at the rate Ive been already staying here. I then bid for that one addeitonal night and my bids up to $50 were rejected. Priceline gave me a screen which said that a recent bid in the Orange area was accepted for $60 and gave me an option to attempt this bid which I decided not to take.

This hotel allowed me to have a late checkout on friday which suited my needs and saved me from needing to purchase the additional night.

About my stay:

I was given a poolside room which I was happy to have. I continue to have some issues with the way the bedding is not changed. My request for all new clean bedding (including the mattress cover and the comforter that they cover with two sheets) on both beds was finally accomplished by the second night. There were blood stains on one and so much hair on the other that I just question the reasoning for not changing it prior to my request. Housekeeping's response was that they change it when needed, and not between customers, with how dirty they were, I can't say they can tell when that would actually be though. After this the beds were great and very comfortable.

The larger than average refrigerator in the room came in handy along with a small microwave. The only other issue were the gnats in the sink. It took two attempts by housekeeping and an additional one by engineering to accomplish getting rid of them flying around the room and coming out of the sink. I was given the option of having another room but declined since I knew i would have to take the time all over again to get clean bedding again.

The pool was crystal clear the first night but after raining the next day it was green for two days then after my request for more chlorine in the pool they were finally able to get the pool crystal blue again by friday morning but had to close the pool because of the amount of chlorine that was added to the pool. The pool was closed past 2pm and we were not able to enjoy it that last day.

Overall I do like staying here.

I continue to have some issues with the way the bedding is not changed. My request for all new clean bedding (including the mattress cover and the comforter that they cover with two sheets) on both beds was finally accomplished by the second night. There were blood stains on one and so much hair on the other that I just question the reasoning for not changing it prior to my request. Housekeeping's response was that they change it when needed, and not between customers, with how dirty they were, I can't say they can tell when that would actually be though.

Are you saying that the hotel does not change sheets, pillowcases, etc. after each customer has left? Or just that they don't change the bedspread? (Which is why the bedspread is the first thing I peel off the bed, and stays off.) Is this a common practice?

I don't expect them to change sheets for each day I am there, but I DO expect that no one else has slept on the sheets when I arrive.

• 2 weeks later...
Are you saying that the hotel does not change sheets, pillowcases, etc. after each customer has left? Or just that they don't change the bedspread? (Which is why the bedspread is the first thing I peel off the bed, and stays off.) Is this a common practice?

I don't expect them to change sheets for each day I am there, but I DO expect that no one else has slept on the sheets when I arrive.

This maid in this hotel said they do not change the bedspread or the beds protective covering that covers the mattress between customers and just waits until they think it is dirty enough. That is why they take the thick comforter and sandwich it between two (supposedly) clean sheets.

Ive been at a Holiday Inn express in Florida where the maid and front desk clerk there said they change the whole bed between customers because they are worried about diseases that can be spread between customers that share sheets or even bed parasites and skin parasites that can hide between the sheets and covers.

BOTH have said that during your stay they will not change anything unless you request it in order to save $$

I always check the sheets, bedspread, pillowcases etc. and taking the bedspread and the footer that covers the end of the bed where your feet go are good practices as they just do not clean these as often as they should. Unless requested there is no telling the last time they were cleaned. Of course ALL hotels are SUPPOSED to change the sheets between customers, does not mean that all of the maids comply.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]