Priceline Hotel: 3* Charleston Embassy Suites

mcgervey
By mcgervey,
in

I wanted either the Marriott or the Embassy Suites, preferably Embassy (it's much newer than Marriot, right next door to Marriot, and much nicer and all suites, though the Marriott is nice too, as this was for a romantic encounter with a former GF in Charleston, and daddy was child free this weekend.

I bid this same level for four days straight. Starting the first day, 4 days before the stay, at $50, 3*, Failed, 3 days before $50, 3*, Failed, 2 days before $55, 3*, Failed.

Bid the day before the stay, upped to $60, 3* and was successful. I should note I have also been successful bidding this property from the parking lot just before checking in at 3*, $50 at 8pm and gotten it before too, but that was on the work expense account and a weekday. Weekends seem to only have success at $55 and $60 for 3* in CRW, and that's not a guarantee. I often end up at the HI Express, Best Western, or Wingate in South Charleston at 2.5* and 2* in the $40-$55 range in CRW on weekends.

All are accceptable/decent.

Thankfully, the old Holiday Inn on the Blvd, which has lost it's HI franchise, was in bankruptcy, and Priceline moronically put into the 3* cat for 6 months on the sole basis that it had a restaurant and puny bar I guess, despite my complaints directly to PL, got removed 6 or 7 months ago and was downgraded. I would much rather have had a 2* or 2.5* in CRW than that aging decrepit place. If that was a 3* then Marriot and Embassy were the Taj Mahal.

It is now the Ramada Inn Charleston House, and apparently based on current reviews has not been upgraded yet. It is NOT worth the money, either at Priceline rates or other deal rates. AVOID if possible. Thankfully it seems to not be a player at any level on Priceline. It could be a nice property again, and has a lot of potential. Outdoor pool, restaurant/lounge, but is extremely dated and not well kept up, the staff can be very unpredictable and downright rude, and what could be a great riverfront view from your room can very quickly turn disappointing if it's hot. The a/c and heat do not keep up. If for some reason you ever get this hotel, if it's winter, request a river view (sun side), if it's summer, request the city side (north facing).

With a little money and pride, this could be a nice property again, but as it is, it's very poorly run.

The Wingate in South Charleston also is a player from time to time at *2.5 in Charleston, and is a very nice property, but when it is a player it's in the $60-$70 bid range, and isn't there much. Very nice hotel though, with pool access to adjacent and same company owned Ramada Inn (SC), and a recently renovated hot tub. Don't count on it on PL though.

Country Inn & Suites at Elkview is also a nice property, if you can get into one of their deals, not on Priceline or Hotwire though. They do have specials.

The Charleston market can be easy or tough.

Marriott/Embassy at the 3*, Wingate at 2.5*, Best Western or HI Express at 2* are all good properties and the usual suspects. Embassy is the price of this lot though. If Priceline fails you, stop at Shoneys or the rest areas and get the coupon books and don't hesitate to go in and negotiate when you get there.

If all else fails, hit the Best Western. It doesn't look like much, but recent updates have made the rooms nice. LCD tvs, desks, nice bedding, chairs, good free breakfast, outdoor seasonal pool. The downside, the bathrooms are tiny and bring your own shampoo. Usually it can be had for $70-$80 in the coupon book if PL fails you.

Be sure to walk across the parking lot to Sushi Atlantic if you're into that sort of thing, or Asian Cuisine, it's a little gem. If not, walk a few minutes back towards the interstate and hit Soho's for some upscale but casual atmosphere Italian, or the Capitol Fish market for the Big Fish sandwich and slaw, or some good caffiene at Capitol Roasters.

Peace.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]