Figuring out your options on Hotwire "deals"

Blueandgreen
By Blueandgreen,
in

I'm a Priceline super user and have saved thousands I'm sure over the years naming my own price on mosty hotels and some flights. I have not purchased through Hotwire and I'm trying to figure out if you can figure out the "worst case" scenario when they show their anonymous deals. On Priceline I always go through the entire list of hotels in that area in that star level before I bid so that I know I can live with anything they throw at me. There are no surprise hotels that are not listed in their general list. When looking at Hotwire's "deals" I'm not seeing a match up exactly by star, location and immenities so I'm not sure - do they also list their "deal" hotels in the general list?? I like an informed and researched surprise not a surprise, surprise.... Please advise...

I have not purchased through Hotwire and I'm trying to figure out if you can figure out the "worst case" scenario when they show their anonymous deals. On Priceline I always go through the entire list of hotels in that area in that star level before I bid so that I know I can live with anything they throw at me. There are no surprise hotels that are not listed in their general list.

This is not true... the 'retail' and the 'bidding' side of their service each use a different universe of hotels, and there are some hotels which participate in one side of their service but not the other (and vice-versa) so when bidding on PRICELINE you could receive a hotel which does not appear in their retail listings. See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ for more information.

In regards to HOTWIRE's anonymous deals, this is a brand new feature (maybe a week or so old) so not a lot of experience with it just yet, but my guess is that there is no way to determine the complete list of possible hotels within the zone boundaries.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Wow - I believe you but I have never once had a winning bid come thru on Priceline that was not listed in their general retail list - ever and I've probably used it for hotels almost a hundred times over the years. Good to know but definitely not my experience with Priceline....

If the area you are looking at is small, you could just look up all hotels in your star level on tripadvisor and see if there are ones you do not like or if you could live with any or all of them in the area. Other than that, not sure what else you could do but its a start.

One comment about getting a hotel on priceline that has not been listed on "the other side" . Its not my general

experience either but it HAS happened to me. THankfully it was for a nice property though so nothing bad happened. Just confirming what was already told to you. Example: Hilton in Ocala Fl is not listed but given to priceline bidders of 3 star hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

As there's no standard star rating system, I don't think this will be much help. Often times, a hotel star rating on Trip Advisor is going to be different from what it would be on Hotwire, Expedia, Hotels, Priceline, etc. Some sites agree on a star rating, and each have their own methods for obtaining them. Using one site's ratings to try to figure out what you'll get on another site isn't really accurate in my experience.

Adversity is like a flame, it melts the weak and tempers the strong.
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]