Priceline Hotel: 2.5* San Diego (Point Loma-Shelter Island-Old Town) Mission Inn

gozalyn
By gozalyn,
in

We'll be visiting Sea World and we have stayed in Mission Valley Hotel Circle in the past, but it's too expensive this time around. Found a hotel in Shelter Island Point Loma area that doesn't look to be too far. Any ideas which hotel this is? Should I be concerned only 45% recommended? Thanks!

Price - $68/night

Dates - 7/25-27

Amenities

Shuttle

Breakfast

Pool

Business Center

Laundry

45% recommended in Hotwire reviews

By itself the 45% recommended raise a very bright red flag, but in combination with the 2.5/5.0 Tripadvisor rating it is likely something i would avoid if possible unless you had no other options.

This property has not yet been reported to the board, but my guess would be the Quality Inn Airport-Sea World.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Do you require two beds? If not you might win something near SeaWorld for $68 or less by bidding on PRICELINE.

Possible options include:

3*/2.5* Point Loma-Shelter Island-Old Town

2.5* Coastal

3*/2.5* Hotel Circle-Mission Valley West

If you're interested in any of these someone can suggest a bidding strategy.

2 beds aren't an absolute requirement, but would be nice. Sure, I'm open to Priceline. Ideally the hotel would have a pool since my daughter would love to swim and I know that's a risk for choosing Priceline. Please let me know a bidding strategy. Thanks so much!

Hi,

We're looking to visit Sea World on 7/27 and it doesn't look like Hotwire is cheap enough so they suggested Priceline. Colfax suggested:

3*/2.5* Point Loma-Shelter Island-Old Town

2.5* Coastal

3*/2.5* Hotel Circle-Mission Valley West

If you're interested in any of these someone can suggest a bidding strategy.

We'd like to stay below $65-ish. Can someone please help suggest a bidding strategy? Ideally, the hotel would have a pool - my daughter really loves to swim.

Thanks!

Two beds aren't guaranteed on Priceline, and neither is a pool. Most hotels in San Diego will have a pool, and a lot of families stay in the three zones I mentioned; so the hotels in those zones tend to have a lot of two-bed rooms, and a pool.

The odds of getting two beds and pool are in your favor then, at least compared to some other zones like Gaslamp. Still, two beds and/or a pool are never guaranteed on Priceline, and you'll be taking some risk.

Hotwire has a 3* in Sea World-Mission Bay-Shelter Island zone for $94 with two beds guaranteed (I searched on 2 adults/1 child), and a POOL icon, among others. It looks like a match for the Wyndham Garden.

Smokefree, Pool, Restaurant, Business, Laundry, Highspeed.

Does this interest you at $94 with two bed and pool guaranteed? Or would you rather take the bed/pool risk and try for a lower rate on Priceline? If so let us know your bidding limit and someone will suggest a strategy. If you want to go the Priceline route I'll suggest trying up to $70 for 3* in Point Loma and Hotel Circle zones first, or up to $60 for 2.5*.

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchases.

Yes, if you're willing to raise your limit to $70 I would try that first. $70 for 2.5* in Coastal, Point Loma, and Hotel Circle.

Usually I'd suggest bidding to $70 for 3* first; then for 2.5*--to get the nicest hotel you can for the money. But I understand budget is important on this trip, so I'm suggesting to skip 3* because a 2.5* in those zones is more likely to have free parking and possibly free breakfast.

I asked which direction you were driving from because Sorrento Mesa zone can be a good value for budget oriented visitors. All the reported 3* hotels have free parking in Sorrento Mesa, and three of four have free breakfast. It's also a zone where people have reported good luck getting two beds.

Sorrento Mesa's 14 miles from SeaWorld though, freeway miles, and you'll be passing close to it when you drive from LA. Sorrento Mesa could be a good backup if your $70 bids near SeaWorld don't work.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

I tried $70 for Hotel Circle West with no luck, but added Point Loma and got the 2.5 star Mission Inn Old Town San Diego - 3900 Old Town Avenue. It says it has breakfast and a pool, close to Sea World and with pretty good reviews so we're quite pleased. Thanks again for your help!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see your pleased with the results and while not the first zone you chose, that this will work well for your needs this trip.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and helping us update the Priceline Hotel List with the new name for this property.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is the former Holiday Inn Express Old Town.

Regular rate is $127, so you got some nice savings. This hotel charges the same for one bed or two, which is a good sign for getting your two-bed request honored. Good luck.

Looks like Mission Inn charges for parking but on TripAdvisor several commented that they found free street parking nearby.

Have fun at SeaWorld!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]