Hotwire Hotel: 4.5 * Hotel Cancun - Resort Fee?

NCGirl01
By NCGirl01,
in

I am looking at a 4.5* in Cancun for 1 night before heading off to the airport the next morning. The price is $82 so a decent price but NOT if it has a resort fee. I hate resort fees.... :) The price should be the price!!

Hotwire says to check with the hotel after winning to see if they charge a resort fee. Is there any way to know in advance if a hotel will charge a resort fee?

Should I go with priceline? Do they do this?

I do NOT want to "win" a hotel then find out it has a $20 resort fee.... especially seeing that it will be basically a place to lay my head for the night.

I think you may have it mixed up...

PRICELINE doesn't disclose any Resort fees before purchase and you'll need to contact the hotel after purchase to see if there is a fee.

For most hotels with a Resort fee, HOTWIRE does show a price range of the fee. For any given HOTWIRE search, click the CONTINUE button (with the price in it) and at the bottom of the subsequent page is a "Know Before You Go" section which will indicate if there is a resort fee and if so how much.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know if anything thru HOTWIRE is of interest and/or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am on the verge of booking but just can't decide....

Actually, the final page, just before hitting the final Book Trip Button on hotwire says:

Some hotels may apply additional charges that are not included in your Hotwire rates - such as parking, convention or resort fees. You will be required to pay any such fees directly to the hotel (usually at check-out time). Once you book such a reservation, we recommend contacting your hotel to ask about any additional charges.

I do NOT want to pay a resort fee and will dispute it with AMEX but it such a hassle!! I don't know what to do.....

Some hotels may apply additional charges that are not included in your Hotwire rates - such as parking, convention or resort fees. You will be required to pay any such fees directly to the hotel (usually at check-out time). Once you book such a reservation, we recommend contacting your hotel to ask about any additional charges.

If the places actually charge resort fees, you've got 3 choices. 1) Pay the fee

2) Don't stay at any place that charges Resort Fees, and don't use Opaque services like Priceline or Hotwire whenever there is a chance you may have to pay a resort fee.

3) Fight the fee. In my experience, this will be an arduous and unpleasant process, and you will need to be willing to make a scene in public. I'd probably be less willing to do this in Mexico than in the U.S., because I have better trust in law enforcement in the U.S. Also, if the hotel actually discloses the fees in their own websites or promotional information - you probably won't be successful. I have been successful in getting the fees waived in instances where they were NOT properly disclosed anywhere prior to check-in, AND I was willing to make a scene. I simply challenged the hotel staff/manager to show me where the fee was disclosed prior to my making an uncancellable booking, and I would pay it. Upon their inability to do so, and me making a scene in their lobby, I have generally been able to get them to waive the fee. But, it is certainly an unpleasant process to do it. My goal is to make levying those fees AT LEAST as unpleasant for those that do it in secret. But there aren't any alternatives that will work.

But I have not experienced that Mexican hotels charge these fees. Certainly, in many places in the U.S., they are prevalent. As for Mexico, I can only speak to Cabo and Puerto Vallarta, where I have never seen these fees. I haven't been to Cancun since Resort Fees began rearing their ugly heads in places like Vegas, Palm Springs, and Orlando, FL.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]