Priceline Hotel: 3.5* San Francisco (USE) Galleria Park

iluvthsgam
By iluvthsgam,
in

Never done PL bidding before - but have read up on the process and understand how re-bidding works.

I am looking for a 4* in San Fran - Union Square East preferably - for Fri July 22 to Mon July 25. I was hoping to score either the Grand Hyatt or the Westin.

Friends are staying at Handlery Union Square - so would like to try to stay as close to that as possible and think USE 4* only gives me the best shot. I wouldn't mind staying at Hilton, JW, or InterContinental - but some of the other 4* in USW aren't close enough for me to take the chance, I don't think.

Am I too early to start bidding? Been trying to find past bids for this area - guessing I can get something for around $125 ? Any advice?

Thanks for your help!! This place looks great.

Welcome to BetterBidding, iluvthsgam.

It's not too early to bid now if your dates are firm. Priceline reservations are nonchangeable. Sometimes success doesn't come until closer to your travel dates, but sometimes people win a month ahead too. Your $125 limit seems realistic, so I would give it a try now if you're ready.

Both 4* in USE show available. Grand Hyatt $181. Westin SF $224. Hotwire has no 4* in USE zone.

When bidding for a 4* in SF you have SIX rebid zones. Those are zones that only have less than 4* quality. Sounds like you understand rebidding. Feel free to post zone names for confirmation if you want.

I suggest 80 for 4* in USE. Add your six rebids at 90, 100, 105, 110, 115, 120 or 125.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

Thanks! Yes, I think I have the gist of re-bidding. Just have to find the zones without a 4* hotel and add them to the bid each time. They would be (Civic Center South, Fisherman's Wharf, Japan Town, Marina, SFO North, and South SF).

I will give it a shot and see how it goes - thanks for your advice!

Your $125 limit might be low for this.

A few days ago in this San Francisco priceline hotel thread another bidder reported winning the Westin St Francis at $150 ($145 rejected) for July nights when Westin's rack rate was $209. For your nights Westin is more than that---$233 now.

I know you prefer 4* in USE. If $125's not enough for your first choice it could be enough for 4* USW or 3.5* USE. A couple 4* in USW are under $200 for your dates, so you have a better chance there.

But you've still got a few weeks if you're patient and want to keep trying $125 in USE awhile longer in hopes that rates will come down.

Good luck whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you are right, I'm not getting anywhere with my price range for 4* in USE. I'm going to add in 3.5* in USE and see what happens. I saw another post that got $75 at Galleria Park which is 3.5* USE for similar dates as mine - so I will add in 3.5* start at $70 and see how it goes.

Thanks!!

iluvthsgam,

How did the 3.5* bidding go?

haddog,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you'd like help with your own stay please read your messages, then click this PRICELINE link and start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Running out of time,...

Your trip is still twelve days away and in Priceline terms that's a long time. It's pretty common for Priceline to get more inventory, or cheaper inventory, as travel dates approach. It doesn't happen always and there's no guarantee it will happen for you; but since a couple 4* hotels are now under $200 retail (Hilton $177, Westin St Francis $195) I think it's worth trying up to $125 for 4*, and possibly 3.5*, for one or two more days anyhow before you drop down to 3*.

Also, Embarcadero zone is only a $6 or $7 cabride from the Handlery where your friends are staying, so 4* Embarcadero might be worth trying too---if you keep getting refused in your preferred zones.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Your trip is still twelve days away and in Priceline terms that's a long time. It's pretty common for Priceline to get more inventory, or cheaper inventory, as travel dates approach. It doesn't happen always and there's no guarantee it will happen for you; but since a couple 4* hotels are now under $200 retail (Hilton $177, Westin St Francis $195) I think it's worth trying up to $125 for 4*, and possibly 3.5*, for one or two more days anyhow before you drop down to 3*.

Also, Embarcadero zone is only a $6 or $7 cabride from the Handlery where your friends are staying, so 4* Embarcadero might be worth trying too---if you keep getting refused in your preferred zones.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Okay, i'll keep trying. What is the bidding approach I should use? Should I stick with 4* and keep adding in my free re-bid zones? Or should I start with both 4* and 3.5* ? Or get up to my limit and then add in a 3.5* as a last bid at that limit?

I thought I read somewhere you can hit the back button and re-bid with different zones selected but every time I hit back it still had the zones that I had already selected grayed out.

I'm assuming your first choice is to stay at a 4* or 3.5* in USE or USW, and that your bidding limit is still $125.

There are six rebid zones for 4* and five rebid zones for 3.5*.

There are several different ways to approach this, depending on your preferences and how much time you're willing to spend bidding. First, the "Quick and Simple" approach:

Start with this PRICELINE link, select USE and USW, and bid $90 for a 3.5*.

If rejected add your five rebids at $100, $110, $115, $120, and $125.

If a 4* hotel has a lower Priceline rate than a 3.5* your 3.5* bid will be upgraded.

A couple variations:

1) Bid up to $125 for 4* in USE and USW first. Then if rejected close browser and bid up to $125 for 3.5*. That method gives you a crack at 4* only first, before 3.5* becomes possible. But it's more steps to bid that way. (Twelve bids instead of six.)

2) If you still prefer USE over USW, you can bid up to $125/4* in USE only. Then close browser and bid to $125/3.5* in USE only. If rejected close browser, and start over for your second choice USW--first 4* then 3.5*.

Also, if SOMA and/or Embarcadero are acceptable, you can add them to your opening bids at the very start; or you can bid them separately if you get rejected in USE and USW.

If SOMA and/or Embarcadero are also acceptable you can add those at the very start, or you can bid them separately later, if you get rejected in USE/USW.

I thought I read somewhere you can hit the back button and re-bid with different zones selected but every time I hit back it still had the zones that I had already selected grayed out.

No, that's not true. Once you've selected a zone and bid for it you can't "back out of it". It will stay gray. To get rid of it you have to close your browser and start a completely new bid from the start. Each time you do that please reaccess through the board's PRICELINE link. Thanks!

Good luck and keep us posted. I would try one of the above approaches for a couple more days anyhow, maybe til Weds or Thurs, befeore you start trying for 3*. If you get impartient and want to get something NOW let us know and someone will suggest a 3* strategy.

Thanks, that is very helpful. I will take that approach over the next few days - I have a backup booked at the Hilton so not terribly worried about it just yet.

I would prefer USE then SOMA then USW - and have no problem bidding each one at a time, just didn't know if you could do that, even by closing the browser.

I'll give it a shot tonight and report back on my results.

Thank you!!

I'll just chime in to add that i don't think you're too far off... i think a 4* USE property may be had within another $10-$15/nite, but i didn't re-read thru the entire thread to see just how firm your budget was.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE link and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Went up to $140 tonight in USE, USW, and SOMA for 3.5* & 4*. Nada! I think the Sat night is the problem - as on Expedia the Saturday night rates are real high.

Thought $140 at 3.5* would do the trick in those three zones, but no luck.

Right now there is a 3.5* star on Hotwire for $135 that looks like either the Serrano or the Prescott that I might have to settle for. Thoughts?

Hotwire has a 3.5* in USW-Nob Hill for $135 with these:

Boutique, Fitness, Restaurant, Business, Highspeed

This matches previous reports for Prescott and Serrano, but the 4/5 TripAdvisor rating is a better fit for Serrano. (Prescott is 3.5/5 on TA.)

Priceline rates the Serrano as 3* so you might win it (or another 3*) for less than $135 on a Priceline bid. If you try PRICELINE I suggest $100 for 3*, then add your only rebid zone (Marina-Lombard) at $110.

If you purchase the HW please use this HOTWIRE link and let us know what you get.

Used the PRICELINE link and tonight finally got a room secured. Really needed to be in USE/USW so had to bump the bid price up, went from $120, $130, $140, $150 and hit at $150.

Got the Galleria Park from 7/22/2011-7/25/2011 for 2 rooms.

Not overly thrilled with it and kinda miffed that I couldn't get it for less, especially since I saw a win at $75 starting on Sunday night and also saw a win for the St. Francis Westin from 7/22-7/24 for $150 (and this was posted way back May 9).

I think Saturday night killed me, as on Expedia that was a much higher rate then other nights. Oh well. Thanks for the help here, it was much appreciated!

Congratulations on your success!

While perhaps not the lowest you have seen this property won for, this does look to be a pretty good deal for these particular dates, and given your previous rejections, you know this wouldn't have gone for much less!

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]