Bidding for A Minor

Lollyei
By Lollyei,
in

I want to reserve a room for my daughters who are 19 (20 in 4 days) and 17, but PRICELINE states that the guest who checks in must be 21. Is this strictly enforced?
Depends upon the hotel. A mini-bar in the room, with alcohol, is just one of the many reasons why a hotel might have, and enforce, a 21 years old and over policy.
Would the hotel allow my daughter to checkin? I noticed that HOTWIRE states the primary guest must be 18+.
Only for some hotels... if you click the CONTINUE button next to the HOTWIRE offer, then look at the bottom of the subsequent page, in the "know before you go" section it indicates the minimum age requirement for that specific property.

What area, zone and dates are you searching for? What is your desired star level and maximum budget per nite?

Let us know your thoughts regarding the above and we'll try to assist further, but in these circumstances, a HOTWIRE showing a minimum age of 18 to check-in would be the safer option.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

I used Priceline and Hotwire for hotel purchases quite often before I turned 21 with no issues what so ever. They only asked for ID since I was using a credit card for incidentals and never once mentioned my age. You may run into issues booking the room for them since you will not be the one checking in and your name will be on the reservation.

ETA: By the way, I was over 18, yet under 21 when I did these transactions so you may want to let the 19 year old reserve the room.

You may run into issues booking the room for them since you will not be the one checking in and your name will be on the reservation.
This isn't an issue as you can put the reservation in anyone's name you choose when booking, it doesn't need to be the same person who does the booking.

HOWEVER, while you might not have had any issues, i think it's a risk to book on PRICELINE for somebody who is under 21 years old... all you need is one hotel clerk to ask for ID and your reservation is could easily be forfeited (with no refund and left scrambling for a room at the last minute). If somebody is over 18 years old but under 21 years old, as per above, my advice would be to use HOTWIRE and purchase a hotel which indicates a minimum check-in age of 18.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Personally I find it easier to book on priceline when booking for a minor or even anyone else especially because many hotels do not even ask for id or a cc. The ones that do require an id are fine if you just bring in the Priceline acceptance letter instead. They just want to make sure they are giving the room to the right person and that person

does not trash the room. However some higher star level hotels that have restaurants and room service may require a cc. for incidentals. Though if you insist that you will not have any they shouldn't make a big fuss. Ive bid and gave hotel rooms for my daughter from CT to Florida over a 5 week period and she never once had to show id or a cc. Most of the hotels were 2 and 2.5 star level which can make a difference. Just to be sure you can call the hotel in advance to ask what the policy is regarding priceline or 3rd party stays. Even if cc was required they just want to make sure you are not going to trash the room so may need a small deposit. You can cover this on your cc or use even use a debit card. Most likely there will not be a problem as long as the person is not the type to cause any, ie parties and the like. Anyone over 18 should not have a problem, though they may not be able to get beer or wine just like any other bar. Ive been in the Free reception dinners where they serve beer and wine and have been carded so as long as they are not drinking I don't think staying in a hotel that serves beer or wine will cause any issues.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]