Priceline Hotel: Need bidding strategy for 5/21

strosest
By strosest,
in

I need a bidding strategy for one room 5/21 in NYC. My preferences are for a 4*, although would be happy with a 3* at this point (I understand things are very tight this weekend), with locational preferences in midtown, but again, would be happy with whatever we could get. Max budget is $275. I look forward to your recommendations, you have been very helpful in the past.

You have two re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in NYC, if you're not sure of which they are please read PRICELINE RE-BIDDING and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board.

Based upon this PRICELINE NEW YORK CITY post i would start as follows:

Select 4* MTE

Bid $220, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $230, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone2...

Bid $235, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $240.

If the above is rejected post back and we'll then bring the MTW and UM/CPS zones into the picture.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Select 4* MTW

Bid $230, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW and re-bid zone2...

Bid $240.

Select 4* UM/CPS

Select 4* UM/CPS and re-bid zone2...

Bid $240.

Select 4* MTE and MTW

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $255, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW re-bid zone2...

Bid $260, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $265.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $255, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS re-bid zone2...

Bid $260, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $265.

Select 4* MTE adn MTW and UM/CPS

Bid $270, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $275.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. Any quesions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, goodness, I followed the strategy, as well as expanded it to all areas in the city, and went down to 3 stars, and I still wasn't able to get any bids accepted. I stopped bidding at $265, which with taxes, etc. is up near $320. Any further recommendations? Is it worth trying again tomorrow (having my husband bid)?

Yes, no possibility of changing dates (great aunt myrna's 93rd, can't miss it) and yes, we'll have a car. i've already tried the hyatt in jersey city, other options? have you seen it this restricted often before? next time i'll know to bid much farther in advance. thanks so much for all your help.

At this late date, you might want to expand your search to include Secaucus/North Bergen/Meadowlands areas. Also, Hotwire shows availability in the Fort Lee zone, a 3.5* is available for $107. Both of these areas are close to NYC, but Secaucus is the better of the two due to the NJ Transit "Park and Ride" in North Begen and the bus stops in the Harmon Meadows area.

There is availability at the Homestead Hotel in the meadowlands area for $89/nite (queen bed) or $99 (king bed)... there just isn't much around.

This hotel has recently been won on Priceline for a $39 bid, so you may want to try that as well... however, it is rated 2* and you could possibly get another 2* hotel in the area (guesses would be the HoJo (which may be 1*) or the Wellesley Hotel). If you're happy with any of those (or their equivalent) i would give Priceline a shot, if not, book direct... unless you have any other idea/options or are willing to pay higher for something in NYC.

If you go the Priceline route you would be bidding 2* in the (Meadowlands - Rutherford) zone.

Let us know what you decide to do or if you need further help/advice.

Found rate of $290 at Hotels.com for the Helmsley New Yorker and called the hotel directly to get a rate of $270. What a relief, I was really getting anxious about having a place to stay. I'll just have to try priceline under less restricted circumstances next time. Thanks for your excellent tutorial, I greatly appreciated your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]