Priceline Hotel: Please help,new to the successbidding industry :-)

jen111
By jen111,
in

thereuare, you are a great help. I was encouraged to sumbit my first on line post after reading your detailed instruction in the previous post. Hope its not too late to get help as I already bid in priceline last night and this morning. I know there is such a site but it took me 30 minutes to find you.

I tried the priceline last night and this morning, but rejected with a bid of 150 for two zones MW, UMCPS. This is the first time I independently book the hotel using priceline.

I am taking my parents to NYC for a two day trip. After reading your site, now our budget is 150-200. As long as the room has two big bed, we are fine with 2 star hotel, although preferrably a 3* one. I am mostly concerned about the location, for convenience purpose.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Many thanks.

Jen, rooms in NYC are typically tiny and when bidding for a room with Priceline, you are only guaranteed accomodations for 2. There may not even be enough room for a rollaway bed. Until thereuare comments, you might want to look at rates on Hotwire (as you can search for a room for 3) , please use Savingsbarn.com to access Hotwire or Priceline. Also, have you considered staying in Jersey City or Secaucus NJ and using public transportation to get into the City?

Thanks dahammer. Now I remember that the two times I stayed in downtown, it is a place for two only.

I will try the site you suggested.

Four of us are driving from DC to NYC, first time for my parents who are leaving the country the week after. I'd like to have my parents enjoying the night walking around time squres. I'd pay $250 now that it seems this is still not a good enough price.

I think you can be successful at $250... but only for one room.

I too would suggest the Jersey City area but it looks like much there is sold-out as well :)

QUICKBOOK has the Howard Johnson in Times Square for $259/nite... not great but at least it'll put you in the city itself and can probably suffice for one nite.

You could also stay in the Meadowlands/Secaucus area... parking would be free and you could find easy transport into Manhattan. You'll lose some of the "feel" of staying in the city itself, but you can make up for that by freely spending some of the money you'll be saving!

Is postponing the trip a few days an option? For instance, even if you change your dates to Sunday/Monday availability becomes much better and will be significantly cheaper.

Let us know your thoughts.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry, I was interrupted.

Looks like we are now looking for good price and easy commute to NYC.

I checked the areas you mentioned and get some prices like $69 for Econolodge and $80 for days inn in cheaptickets.com. Does this sound a reasonable price for what we will get. I have no idea.

Also I wonder how do we know whether the hotels (in Meadowlands/Secaucus area) has shuttle to NYC (20 minutes I just heard) besides calling the hotel. E.g., in the Econolodge page, they mention 3 bus route, but didn't put down NYC as the destination...

Thanks.

Jen, your folks probably won't like the Econo Lodge or the Days Inn, don't stay here. I'm not aware of any hotels in that offer shuttle service into Manhattan. The NJ Transit bus stop is just steps away from the Marriott Courtyard in Secaucus and the Bus fare is about $3.00 each way. Just checked Hotwire, there are no hotels available for one night of May 21. :) which is unusual. You can always try bidding for the Secaucus-North Bergen area on Priceline, but it looks like things are filling up quickly.

Please look over our SUPPORT PAGE so that if you happen to book with any of the companies that end up giving you the best deal you can also support this site in the process... we are affiliates of both Cheap Tickets and the MARRIOTT.

Your options are not many, but i'm not sure you are very familiar with the area at all... there is only one hotel i know of that supplied shuttle to NYC (for a fee) and you don't want to stay there... you best option is for a hotel that is near mass transit, of which there is a lot in this area.

Now that you are staying in NJ, are you still only looking for one room? (as that will determine which services we can/can't safely use)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry, just got back. Thanks, both of you.

To save money, we'd prefer one room with double bed. Do you think we can add a bed in the Marriot (if it is still available at this time) $139 before tax for one bed means we need to pay about 300 for two rooms, still pricy.

Also sorry, I didn't quite get what you mean by "which services we can/can't safely use" ?

Since you are looking at NJ, rates tend to be cheaper. Thereuare was wondering if you were still trying to get one room or go for two rooms, as this would determine which method of booking a room would work best for you.

Since rates are high, occupancy rates are high, so obtaining 2 double beds may be very difficult in most hotels. Priceline guarantees bedding for 2 people, so a king or queen bed meets their requirement. Requiring 2 double beds looks like it may put you out near one of the airports.

From Expedia:

YourStay Central Park Apartments- Tempo (Upper West Side) -- 2 bedroom apartment $429

Got it. Thanks thenewbie for your explanation to this layman.

After all you guys' suggestions, I made a reservation at Park Avenue Hotel (or say Apartment complex :-)). $100 + tax for a studio. The main reason is the price and the location since its close to "mass transit" and ferry. I just hope this is not one of the places you guys mentioned " you don't want to go there". Then I would feel sorry that you spend all this time advizing me.

It seems that the service of that place is not good. But I am glad we get a place to stay and feeling good that I have tried so many different ways in a hotel search. It is a great posting experience for a first timer.

Thank you. I definitely learned a lot from you guys on the possibilities on could have. More importantly, I still feel amazed by your expertise and so much detailed advices I have received from you.

Yes that's it.

I think it is an apartment like building. I find that on the website of cheapticket.com and that's the cheapest "hotel" listed there.

I realize the link of my reservation site may not work, since they commit to privacy :-).

thereuare, thenewbie, and dahammer:

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I wish I had been part of this earlier, now that I am leaving the US after 6 years and going to work in HK.

We had a wonderful trip this weekend. Just give an example on how lucky we are, it took us 4 hours without speeding from DC to Weehawken. Never happened before! I've been to NYC 5 times already, but never before seen the view from the west side of Manhattan. We are so impressed when we first drive in the chart house (?), and the view was even better when we are driving along the JFK highway.

As for the Park Avenue Hotel, although the wall is a bit thin and the place looks a bit shabby, they have white towel and we are particularly thankful for its location so that we got to see the fantastic view of the city and could get free parking right in front our room and get to the city for $2 without needing to pay the toll. :)

I stayed in 42 street Westin last time I was there, but I was quite satisfied with our "hotel" (apartment I'd rather say) this time too.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]