Priceline Hotel: Abject Failure in Orlando

MIChessGuy
By MIChessGuy,
in

I was excited to see several posts about winning the Holiday Inn Maingate East for the mid to upper 30s. So I used the PRICELINE link and offered $34 for 3* in Orlando Disney Maingate-Celebration, for 7/31/11 thru 8/6/11. No dice. No counteroffer either, which surprised me as I generally get one. I decided to add the Universal Orlando Resort Area - International Drive North zone and boost my bid to $36. I had stayed in this zone last trip, at the excellent Holiday Inn Maingate to Universal, so it would be fine to get that again or possibly the Hyatt or one of the others.

After what seemed like quite a while, during which I got excited that somebody was going to accept me....another zip. Not even a counteroffer for me to sneer at. High season is a cruel mistress, I suppose, compared to last February when 30 bucks got me two beds, a fridge, internet, LCD television, free parking and no resort fee. I'll keep trying for the Holiday Inn Maingate East, but they probably want too much. :)

As you point out, hotels in this area are much busier during the summer months (kids off from school) so may be less willing to discount as deeply.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board for your purchases.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried again this afternoon by adding "dummy" zones that top out at 2.5 stars. The Holiday Inn Maingate East is 3 stars, thus no chance of getting stuck with a hotel in the added zone. (This method of evading the 24-hour rebid rule is explained in the Priceline Re-Bidding Explained in the General Priceline Tips forum)

My first try was to add Kissimmee and go up to $36 -- rejected. Then I added Winter Park and bid $37, rejected again. All other Orlando zones include at least 3 stars, so I can't add them due to risk of getting stuck in one of them.

I can sort of see where this is going: the last Harry Potter film is out next month, the new Star Wars is open at the Studios, and the tourists are packing the hotels around Disney and Universal. I have my cancellable backup room reserved, so I'll keep chipping away over the next few weeks to see if the Holiday Inn lowers its standards. :)

Yes, I may follow that type of approach, though it seems to me that unusually strong bookings could even make it *worse* to bid closer to one's departure date. I wonder how much of a desperation factor really exists as dates draw near. Guess I'll find out! :)

3* in Orlando (Lake Buena Vista - Downtown Disney)

3* with these amenities:

Complimentary Breakfast

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities (self service)

High Speed Internet Access

Might this be the Country Inn & Suites on S. Apopka-Vineland Road? It is showing for $45 for 7/31/11 thru 8/6/11. I've been banging my head on PRICELINE these last few days, but I have to say, this deal sounds as good as anything I'll find on PL.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]