ETAP hotels?

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

A European budget chain owned by hotel conglomerate Accor. Anyone ever stay in one? Rates start at about 34 Euros, which seems like quite a bargain if all you want is a place to crash (or a peak into the budget travel habits of real Europeans!).

I need to spend a night in a small town in France and the ETAP looks like less than half the cheapest alternative. The website makes it look like a French version of a Comfort Inn. True?

http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/index.html

My understanding is that with Etap, you do not have 24-hour service. You reserve by credit card and then use that to get yourself into your room if you arrive outside of prescribed times. This is in contrast to Ibis, the next step up the Accor ladder, which has 24-hour desk service. Formule1 also has this credit card check-in procedure, but differs from Etap because Formule1 has no ensuite bathrooms. I believe that Etap does not have phones in the room either.

The Ibis I stayed at looks like it had identical bedding (except for the duvet color) to the room on the Etap web site. You get a very small double bed (would not fit two typical Americans), and a bunk above that juts out of the wall and folds back in when not in use. For your family, you could probably get away with two such rooms, but they will be very cramped.

Thanks, WillTravel. Yeah, from looking at their website, I've come up with about the same assessment. In the circumstance where I'll need it, it would be for myself and 2 young children, so it seems like we'd fit. Interestingly, there was actually a Comfort Inn in town that was the second cheapest hotel, but their rooms only have bedding for 2 and they won't let you use a rollaway.

I plan to arrive by car at the hotel around 8 pm and leave the next morning by 8 am, and I want to save some bucks to be able to afford some other "fancy" hotels (two weeks in Europe this summer looks financially punishing -- we're mostly going to Eastern Europe to save money).

They seem to do some funky things (by US standards) at ETAP, like only man the reception desk at certain hours. But I figure that will be the "charm" of trying this European budget hotel thing. And one of my kids will love the bunk bed!

They are indeed an Accor brand, which encompasses a ton of European (and a few US) chains.

One of Accor's best European deals is at their new line of rapidly-growing Suite Hotels. If you happen to be spending 3-day weekend in one of their cities, you get the room for all 3 nights for about 150 Euros. Very tough to beat in Europe.

• 4 weeks later...

Has stayed there a couple of times when going on holiday by car. Excellent value for money if you just want to sleep with private bathroom. No luxury at all, the bathroom is made by plastic and divided into shower, toilet and wash basin in separate places. Still very cheap and if you just want to sleep for the night it is quite OK.

One or two hotels in the chain are a bit different, eg the one in Flensburg Germany which is very good.

Beware of the breakfast if you are in France as it tends to be overpriced and only baguette, marmelade, coffee and artificial orange juice. Better eat breakfast at mcDonalds..

• 4 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]