Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* State College Holiday Inn Express Williamsburg Square

godspeedhot
By godspeedhot,
in

I want to know how much to start with and what price range is there people winning

Check the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and use the Search Box at the top of the BetterBidding page and you will see the price range wins in 'State College'.

I also check HOTWIRE before bidding as this also helps me determine discounted rates in the area I'm bidding, although there is not 100% correlation between the two opaque sites.

Good Luck!

I'll also add that you're looking for a 14 nite stay... so the bid required for your 2 week stay may be very different then somebody looking for one or two nites.

Which PRICELINE zone(s) in the area are you willing to accept?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

With price you determine the date range by naming your own price. If you enter 'State College' in the QUICK SEARCH box at the top of the page you can see related winning bids in this zone, but they may not correlate very well to your own stay since your stay is 14 nites... one or two expensive nites within your date range can effect the amount of your winning bid substantially, and if a hotel is sold-out for just one nite of that range then it is out of the running for your stay entire (no matter how inexpensive the other nites are)

I'm seeing hotel direct rates of $200+ for the 3* hotels in this zone during your dates, so $85 would seem like a very good deal should you be successful at that price. We would of course use re-bid zones (see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained) and work our way up to whatever maximum bid you decide, we just don't want to suggest a strategy which goes higher then you're willing to pay. Let us know your maximum bid and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There is a 2.5* on HOTWIRE for $ 70 and 95% approval rating for your dates. This is likely the HI Express in Williamsburg Square - nice area with 3 hotels and several restaurants together. Some bidding the 3* in the PRICELINE's South zone have received the Atherton which has received some negative reviews. I am not sure of your PSU's fall schedule, but the latter part of your dates may be close to the time when students begin to arrive for fall schedule. This may effect the prices on both PRICELINE and HOTWIRE. I use to bid the South zone at 3* thinking I would get either the Residence Inn or Courtyard - since the Atherton became a possibility, I have been bidding the North zone at 2.5*.

With rates at $200+ a win at $68 seems unlikely, and as noted above, even a win at your maximum bid of $85 would be a very nice deal. I would work your way up closer to your maximum bid as i think your current offers have a very low probability of success for a 2 week stay. Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Your bids are still under half of prevailing rates... while we do see discounts this deep, it's not something that you can expect, especially on a 14 nite stay.

???

Hotel direct rates at 3* properties are $200+ for most of the dates within this range so i don't think that SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is going to help you as much as you'd like. You may be able to pick up a block of 2-3 days here and there, but not a clean 2 purchases of 7 days each.

As well, Marriott lists most of these dates as a 'special event', so i'm guessing that there is something happening on campus (orientation for new students, athletic competitions and/or camps, etc) which is driving up hotel rates, even though it's summer and most of the students are 'out of session'. What brings you to the area for 2 weeks?

Can you please add a reply to this thread with the details of your purchase. Please include the star rating, city, zone, room rate, dates and amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view all of this by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]