Priceline Hotel: 3* Danbury-Southbury (Danbury) Holiday Inn Danbury

relaxing41
By relaxing41,
in

First bid $36 in Waterbury rejected

second $39 adding Danbury... accepted

Let me add that the list states this as a three star property so please update this as priceline is saying it is a 3 star.

I looked at hotwire which was showing 3 star for $49 for 2 nights and $52 for 1 night which would have been the holiday inn express in waterbury based on my research.

I also looked at the lowest bid accepted for $39 which was accepted at first bid so i started at $36 . Details below. I was really just looking for something with a pool and free breakfast since my daughter has a half day but Holiday Inn is known for their free meals for children so I guess thats better than nothing .

I previously tried both milford and shelton for these dates yesterday, bidding as high as 50 and was given a message to increase my bid by 15 to 61 dollars. I did increase by 5 but was still denied. Today i retried and was denied again up to $46. I also considered the rodeway Inn in stratford for $49 but they have no pool, but are on ocean and not sure of the weather was leaving this as my last resort. Also bid down to 2 star in milford up to $39 and was denied. I know I am all over the map with these cities but for this date the city was of least importance and the star level and use of pool was of more importance. We also like staying at new places so this will be different and a treat at best. :)

Website rate is 104.99 for advance booking

and 109.99 for up to same day cancellation. Othersites were 119 -139, the later including breakfast for 2 and option to upgrade to a king size bed with a supposed savings of $15

Holiday Inn Danbury

Danbury

80 Newtown Road

Danbury, Connecticut 06810

203-792-4000 Check-In Date:

Thu, May 19, 2011 / After 02:00 PM

Check-Out Date:

Fri, May 20, 2011 / 12:00 PM

Amenities:

Business, Fitness center, Pool, Kids eat free, Laundry services (taken from site and not priceline)

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $39.00

Subtotal: $39.00

Taxes & Fees: $12.17

Total Charges*: $51.17

I used your PRICELINE link to start my bidding and to complete my purchase. :)

After seeing pictures and looking further I cannot see why priceline puts this as a 3 star rating as I see that even in late 2010 it was a 2 star. I cant see it jumping through 2 levels when the 2.5 star level of the Holiday Inn express is a better hotel and deal than this property. I am just going by pictures and others ratings but it just doesnt look up to par with other 3 star properties and I can foresee my disappointment. I know others recently are also having this problem with star levels with priceline so I decided to note my complaint also.

Usually hotwire is the site that overstates star levels and priceline is more inclined to be more realistic and are known to even lower star levels in an attempt to even the bidding playing field.

I will update if I decide to call priceline about this or if I just decide to just take the reservation as is. I know using priceline is a gamble... but its usually a gamble that I win and Im not willing to start losing now.

Sorry to hear you're disappointed in the star rating assigned this property... at least it has a pool for your daughter.

Hopefully after experiencing the property firsthand you'll have felt you got your $40 worth and the hotel will be better then expected.

Thank you for using the PRICELINE link on the board to begin your purchase and sharing your win helping us update the Priceline Hotel List.

Enjoy your stay... let us (and PRICELINE) know your thoughts after your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Sorry to hear you're disappointed in the star rating assigned this property... at least it has a pool for your daughter.

I wrote to the manager of the property, names Herman, and he seems very interested in his guest. He has told me that there will not be a pool available for our stay so it defeats the purpose of our trip. He was nice enough to say he could switch my king bed to a double but.. I will be calling priceline to see if I could switch. I hate to but I have no other reason to be going up there if there is no pool.

well, I did contact priceleine and they were more than willing to help me. First she tried to change the reservation to an alternate acceptable date which I provided. It was unable to go through so she initiated a one time refund. She said I would be billed a total of $25 and credited $52.12 to my cc which is the cost of my bid plus taxes and fees. I will get the money for my refund applied to my next successful bid. I would of course have to call them after placing the bid and give them the number to the wining bid so they could subtract the refund to this amount. Being it was only a one night stay I lose I believe $25 if I do not rebid but will be refunded the whole amount if I do have a successful bid. (It is a bit confusing if u ask me but she says she will send an email explaining the whole process. ) They give you the option also of keeping your original reservation but at this point I do not want it nor will it be of any use to me. I think if I had a larger bid or many nights to my stay it would have been more cost effective. At least i do not lose ALL of my money and I get to rebid in a more preferred area. Really I realize this as my mistake and do not encourage anyone to rely on this as a back up method since you do indeed lose some money and they do not have to honor any type of guarantee. My thing is I was counting on the pool and it will not be available. I know priceline does not guarantee pools but instead guarantees rooms so i will just accept this and move on. Maybe I will take up the star issue up at another date. I didnt bother since a previous poster had no help when raising the star issue so i didnt want to go that route. None of this would have been an option though if I waited for the day of the reservation to call.

What I do recommend to others is to not be is such a rush and do as much research as you can before ypou bid and before you 3egive your cc information to be charged.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]