Priceline Hotel: 3* Holiday Inn Select Montreal Centreville $53

chen
By chen,
in

I'm trying to book a few rooms for a bachelor party in Montreal ariving July 18 and leaving on July 20.

I just did a hotwire search and my best options revealed:

1. Downtown Montreal

$58 USD per room per night Three stars.

Amenities

Restaurant(s)

At least one restaurant is located on the hotel premises.

Pool(s)

Hotel features at least one pool area. (Note: This amenity offering may be seasonal. Please check hours/availability directly with the hotel.)

Fitness Center

Hotel features exercise equipment.

Business Center

Hotel offers guests access to business equipment/services.

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

Hotel offers guests access to a coin-operated washer/dryer.

2. Downtown Montreal

$97 USD per night. 4.5 stars.

Amenities

Restaurant(s)

At least one restaurant is located on the hotel premises.

Fitness Center

Hotel features exercise equipment.

Business Center

Hotel offers guests access to business equipment/services.

Spa Services

Hotel offers spa services on the premises.

Here are my questions:

a. Is there anyway to get an idea of what hotels hotwire has in these areas so I can try to guess which hotel I will get?

b. Do you think that I could do better on priceline?

c. do you think that the 4.5 star is worth the extra $33 per night/per room?

d. Do you think that the 4.5 star would be too snootie for a bunch of drunken bachelor party dudes on a bender?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated, I'll post whatever I end up getting.

Thanks!

oops, I just read the last post and I think that one of my questions was already answered:

Montreal (Downtown)

4.5* Sofitel

Amenities: Restaurant, Fitness, Business Center, Spa

4.5* Hotel Inter-Continental Montreal

Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Business Center

3* Holiday Inn Select Montreal-Ctr-Vle-Downtown Cnvntn Center

Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Business Center, Laundry

do you think that this is the only 3* they have?

a.  Is there anyway to get an idea of what hotels hotwire has in these areas so I can try to guess which hotel I will get?

You answered this one yourself :)

b.  Do you think that I could do better on priceline?

3* Hotels in Montreal have been received for prices between $32-$45, so there is a decent chance you can do better on Priceline. However, if you absolutely must have specific amenity (like a pool) then Priceline may not be the best bet, although it can save you some money if you really don't care about the amenities and just need a place to sleep.

c.  do you think that the 4.5 star is worth the extra $33 per night/per room?

Bunch of guys for a bachelor party... probably not worth the extra money. If you're a wild bunch, a 3* may actually be preferable to a 4.5* (less 'upper' cleintele that would complain about noise). If you're more of a mellow and quiet group, maybe they'd prefer the 4.5*, but you know the group best. Why not ask them if they'd prefer a Holiday Inn-type property for $58 or a Sofitel-type property for $93.

d.  Do you think that the 4.5 star would be too snootie for a bunch of drunken bachelor party dudes on a bender?

See answer above :)

do you think that this (Holdiay Inn) is the only 3* they have?

No way to know for certain. But one thing i do is try searches for dates other than the date i want. This shows me if other 3* hotels (with different amenities) show up OR if this is always the 3* hotel that appears.

If you'd like to try Priceline, let me know and i'll post a bidding strategy for you.

It would be appreciated if you support the SavingsBarn.com by placing your Priceline or Hotwire purchases thru them.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately, there's no free re-bid zones at 3* in Montreal, so you'll just have to try this, and if rejected, try again 72 hours later. Be sure to select the number of rooms you need on the first page where you select your dates.

3* Montreal:

Bid $35, if rejected, wait 72 hours and....

Bid $37, if rejected, let me know and i'l re-advise

Let's hope you're successful on your first shot!

If you are rejected, feel free to update us of that fact while you're waiting for 72 hours to elapse at which point you can bid again.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Good Luck!

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

While waiting for the 72 hours to elapse, I noticed that the hotwire 3* rate just went up from $58 to $62 USD. Should I up my bid on priceline tomorrow?

I really don't want to get rejected again, especially if the hotwire deal keeps going up.

I wouldn't raise my bid, Hotwire's prices fluctuate enough that i wouldn't attribute a $4 chance to a supplier's price change, and more likely it's Hotwire tweaking the price.

You may indeed have to bid this again though (so be prepared for it). I would think you'll ultimately be successful under $45/nite, but it may take a few tries. Your dates are still nearly 3 weeks away, so i wouldn't worry about it too much.

On the other hand, if you really don't want to bid this again, then go ahead and bid $45, but that's not how i would handle it, as i think you still have time on your hands and i prefer to get as close to Priceline's cost as possible. Some people don't mind paying a little more in order to be 'done with it' (which is fine), but that's not me.

I see another issue here which is the exchange rate. The Canadian Dollar has been shooting up in value recently against the U.S.$. I believe I saw something that it was up 16% last week. As this trend appears likely to continue, perhaps then it may be better to act sooner rather than later for Canadian bookings.

Here's my sad priceline update:

Montreal (July 18-20 3 rooms) 3* $45 Rejected (although it said that if I upped my bid $13 it would accept).

My friend then bid the same at $50 he was rejected!

Then we bid on 2*:

Montreal (July 18-20 3 rooms) 2* $30 Rejected

Montreal (July 18-20 3 rooms) 2* $36 Rejected

Any advice??????

Personally, i would have a little patience with this one and continue bidding at the $45 level.

I know you're looking to get this done, and if so, based upon the couter-offer you were given, i think $52 or $53 might be the 'magic number' for now.

TravelGuy made an excellent point about the exchange rate and maybe slightly higher bids will now be needed compared to what we've seen in the past. I think the Canadian dollar has moved more than 10%-15% in the last few months (somebody can correct me if i'm wrong) which would imply that perhaps a prior $45 acceptance now requires a $53 bid. It's up to you if you'd just like to 'clear your plate' of this, and depending upon how many people you plan on having in a room, another few dollars won't be that big of deal when divided among everyone.

Unless $50 is your top budget, i would hesitate lowering my star rating to 2* at this point.

Thank you for using the SavingsBarn.com for your attempts, keep us posted as to you progress.

TravelGuy made an excellent point about the exchange rate and maybe slightly higher bids will now be needed compared to what we've seen in the past.  I think the Canadian dollar has moved more than 10%-15% in the last few months (somebody can correct me if i'm wrong) which would imply that perhaps a prior $45 acceptance now requires a $53 bid. 

I think the Canadian/US exchange rate has increased by almost 18% since the start of the year (with most of the increase in the last few months). Bank of Canada exchange rates are as follows:

Cost of 1 Cdn dollar in $US

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/exchange-convert.htm

January 2 .6350

June 18 .7495

.7495/.6350 = 1.18

This definitely has to have an impact on Americans buying Canadian goods and services, but I wonder how often the hotels update their Priceline rates? Seems like it might be somewhat sporadic, but I do think some of the Priceline rates for Canadian hotels are getting a bit higher.

Hotwire now lists a 4* for your date for $85.

I have recently bid Montreal twice for a 3* up to $50 and both times rejected ... Hotwire had a 3* listed for $55. There seems to be no-winning in Montreal now.... I had gotten the $25 Holiday Inn Select deal back in May or June for a friend. I also always use 2.5* downtown as a free rebid.

I think the Canadian/US exchange rate has increased by almost 18% since the start of the year

I have been in the US since Sept and still think of the Can. cost everytime I buy/see something ... even my coffee and bagel in the morning. Dunkin Donuts in NY is $3.00 or $5.12 Can .... In Canada at our beloved Tim Horton's (Timmy Ho's), that would only cost $2.30 Can.

Many restaurants with locations in Canada and the US use the same menu with the exact same prices such as Red Lobster .... a complete value rip-off for us Canadians. Subway, $4.99 for a cold cut footlong sub here and only $4.99 in Can. Starbucks is another ... $3.20 here and $3.20 in Can. McDonald's is even more outrageous.

Applebees on the otherhand, clearly reflects the rate differences in its prices .... $8.95 here $13.95 in Canada.

I am loving the new rates .... I even went to Longhornes in Ohio and enjoyed a 20oz porterhouse for $19.95 which I would have never done with the US dollar costing us 1.60+++.

Where I did get hit though was paying for grad school ... I paid all the fees when the CAD was at its worst last September!!!

I saw a TV show about the increase in Americans buying cars in Canada ... the number had gone up about 500%. There are even some cars with clear price discrepenices ... the Lexus IS 300 had a base price in CAD of about $30,000 and was even more in US$ .... about $33,000 if I remember correctly.

I am curious about "The Keg" which is a famous Steak restaurant chain in Canada ... it has opened up locations in Washington State in its expansion abroad ... I am curious how they priced their menu and what premium they are charging the higher cost of living Americans....???

I also always use 2.5* downtown as a free rebid.

My 2* got rejected at $36. What do you think that I should bid for a 2.5*?

By the way, I am aiming now for an under $50 room so I think that a 3* is out. Also, I am getting sick of getting rejected and would like to seal this deal when my 72 hours elapses tomorrow.

THANKS!

I am getting sick of getting rejected and would like to seal this deal when my 72 hours elapses tomorrow.

The Priceline advantage.... frustrating customers so much that they eventually bid more than they wanted to! (don't worry, we've all been there before, and at times will be there again!)

My opinion:

I would reconsider your $50 limit, and increase my limit to $53 (keeping in mind that taxes and Priceline fee will get added to this amount, but it's ultimately up to you, not me, how you want to spend your money). You don't need to follow this advice, but i just think that you're very close to an accepted bid at that price given the counter-offer you received previously.

If $53 is rejected (or you don't want to try that bid), i would then suggest 2.5* and bidding $45 (this may or may not be a little high, but i leaned on the higher end of the suspected range given your desire to get this 'done'). SqueegeeKid can clarify, but i don't think he would use 2.5* as a re-bid for 3* when bidding at these prices, i think he used 2.5* as a re-bid when placing ultra-low bids below $25.

Those are my thoughts, feel free to ask any questions/comments this may have sparked.

WOO HOO!!!!

I'm glad this one finally worked out for you!!

This is a good example of how sometimes patience and persistence pay off. I suspected you were very close, and glad for your sake it's now done... i'm sure you had a few friends that put you in charge of this and were counting on you, probably wondering why it wasn't done yet. Hopefully they'll all be happy now with the rooms and price paid.

Have a great time at the bachelor party (and don't trash the place, i don't want to see future posts that this hotel has been downgraded to a 2* :) )!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]