Hotwire Hotel: 4* San Juan InterContinental

reynoldsvt
By reynoldsvt,
in

travel dates set for San Juan from June 23-27, 2005

I have been using tripadvisor as my guide, and am mostly considering hotels that seem popular and are getting mostly positive rewiews. however, it's challenging to find a single hotel in San Juan that everyone agrees is "great" in this class of hotels.

I think I we would prefer to be on the beach in the Isla Verde Area. Initially I was interested in the Courtyard by Marriot Isla Verde Beach Resort, although it seems a lot of people complain about the noise factor due to the proximity to the airport.

It also seems the "Intercontinental" is very popular, for about the same price...and similar amenities, without noise complaints. Are there others taht are comparable worth considering?

Also, I am not sure it's worth gambling on hotwire or priceline when both hotels are offered on their respective websites for $160/night. do you think its possible to save more?

any suggestions?

Welcome to BetteBidding!

I have commented often how the hotels in San Juan don't get universal glowing reviews, and suspect it's due to it being an expensive hotel market as well as the staff being on 'island time'. Guests paying high prices typically expect top rate service and you just don't get it San Juan.

With the above said, Priceline is probably not an option for you if you want to be in the Isla Verde area since the San Juan boundaries include all of Isle Verde, Condado, and Old San Juan... so there is no way to target the specific area you're looking for.

HOTWIRE could be an option if you can identify the property beforehand, but i just took a look and didn't seen anything compelling.

In the Isla Verde section i have heard great things about the EMBASSY SUITES and i would definately look into that property if you'd like to spend a bit more money (currently $199 on their website... it's not on the beach but i think a short block walk away). Keep in mind this property includes in their rate a manager's reception each evening (lite snacks and free drinks) as well as a cooked-to-order breakfast buffet in the morning. Just something to consider.

Outside of the Isla Verde area is the CARIBE HILTON which gets mostly favorable comments... i've stayed there and liked it but not worth the $200+ they're currently asking on their website (i stayed for $65/nite thru Priceline).

I will comment that if you do choose to book direct it would be appreciated if you used this board's Courtyard Marriott or Inter-Cotinental or EMBASSY SUITES links to begin your purchase.

There are also a few pictures of some of the above properties on our sister site: RealHotelPhotos.com

One last suggestion... San Juan is known for releasing their 'opaque' inventory close to check-in date and not too many months in advance, so if you still want to consider HOTWIRE down the road you may want to try to avoid a non-refundable rate at this point in time.

Let us know if we can assist further and/or what you choose to do.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I partiipate in a lot of forums...the consensus is TripAdvisor.com is not a reliable screener or reporter of hotels, try fodors, consumer reports, and just plain googling the location and review for consumer attitude for more critical analysis. TripAdvisors job is to sell rooms, so buyer beware.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you please doublecheck that you showed a Resort icon with this purchase (you can do so by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page).

This hotel has never shown a Resort icon in the past and a recent search for your dates showed the hotel above but without a Resort icon... it would help if we knew for certain that you offer did indeed include a Resort icon.

Thanks! and have a great trip (waterfall pool and all!)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]