By belindai,
in

Used the BB link

Bidded 2 rooms 2 nights 6/29/11-7/1/11

4* Los Angeles (Hollywood) $119 rejected,

4* Los Angeles (Hollywood) added re-bid Lawndale $125 rejected,

4* Los Angeles (Hollywood) added re-bid Redondo-Manhattan beaches $130 rejected

4* Los Angeles (Hollywood) added re-bid Culver city $135 rejected

I think I used up all my re-bid zones? Have to try again in another 24 hours?

Do you think because I am bidding for two rooms it is not working out?

When bidding the median retail price is $247

IN 29 June OUT 1 JULY

Priceline RETAIL

4* Roosevelt Hollywood $239

4* W Hollywood $247

4* Renaissance Hollywood and Spa $259

HOTWIRE Retail

4* $181+tax ? W Hollywood

Recent wins

Hotwire $136 W Hollywood July

Priceline $121 W Hollywood October

Priceline $115 Roosevelt Hollywood May

Any suggestions.

I don't think that two rooms is the issue, it's more likely that these dates are more expensive then usual, and therefore requires a higher bid price then usual. Your bid price is just over 50% savings and still more than $100 under 'retail' rates, while savings such as this are not unheard of, it's not something you can necessarily count on all the time.

Rates may come down, or they could move even higher, but at the moment you're probably looking at another $25 or so for a win. How high are you willing to bid at this time?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just noticed on Hotwire IN 29 June OUT 1 JUL

4* Hollywood - $219 - 3 people

4* Hollywood - $174 - 3 people

SMOKE FREE ROOMS

FITNESS CENTER

POOLS

RESTAURANTS

BUSINESS CENTER

HIGH-SPEED INTERNET

SPA

Recommended in 90% of customer reviews

Would this be the W Hollywood?

Considering Hotwire 1 room for 3 people, guaranteeing 2 beds, for $219+tax (ie. $73+tax/ 3 people)

versus Priceline 2 rooms, 1 bed each, next bid $140+tax ($70 shared room, 140 one room)

not sure whats best??

The hotwire rate drop a little since I last looked.

For 4* Hollywood on Hotwire I see:

$219 for 3 adults

$174 for 2 adults

The icons look like the W in both cases.

Considering Hotwire 1 room for 3 people, guaranteeing 2 beds, for $219+tax (ie. $73+tax/ 3 people)

versus Priceline 2 rooms, 1 bed each, next bid $140+tax ($70 shared room, 140 one room)

not sure whats best??

If you bid $140 per room for two rooms on Priceline it will be $280 + tax/fee vs. $219 for two beds at W. What's best depends on what's most important to you---if having two rooms is important that will cost more. And they might not be two rooms at the W. But if being at W is more important than having two rooms then the Hotwire deal @ $219 looks best.

$219 isn't much of a discount from W's $247 rack rate though. With almost two months to go before your trip you could also make a cancellable reservation at W and keep watching Hotwire for rates to come down.

Bidded 2 rooms 2 nights 6/29/11-7/1/11

4* Los Angeles (Hollywood) $140 rejected,

4* Los Angeles (Hollywood) added re-bid $145 rejected,

4* Los Angeles (Hollywood) added re-bid $150 rejected

4* Los Angeles (Hollywood) added re-bid $155 rejected

I don't know if it is worth bidding higher?

$174 on hotwire for 2 adults, $219 for three adults I don't know if this is such a good deal as it is just one room, with taxes $260.

Might wait for any changes?

Any idea when inventory is refreshed at all?

Was hoping for the W.

For me the $219 vs $247 discount at W isn't enough to inspire a nonrefundable purchase right now, with almost two months to go. Once you add Hotwire's transaction fee the savings are even smaller--less than $20.

If it was me I'd reserve the $247 rate if it's cancellable and keep checking HOTWIRE every day for the rate to drop. But that's a personal decision. If you only want the W and you need to reserve something now (not wait) then the $219 looks like the best available for now.

It's possible if the HOTWIRE rate drops that the new lower rate will be for the Roosevelt though, not the W. Also, if you wait a couple weeks you might get a lower PRICELINE bid than $155 accepted, but again it could be at the Roosevelt.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for your tips.

When am I allowed to bid again at a lower price, considering my final bid was $155. I tested it out 24 hours since my last bid, trying a lower bid and it says it is a duplicate request, or would it be because I am exactly not 24 hours, can't remember the exact time I made the last bid.

Thanks,

The duplicate bid request would have nothing to do with the price/bid amount, it's because you've already selected that star rating and zone on a previous bid within the last 24 hours.

If it takes you 20 minutes to go thru a full bidding strategy with lots of zone combinations and re-bid zones, it's the time of your last bid which determines the 24 hours lock-out period, not the time you started your bidding.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

or would it be because I am exactly not 24 hours

Priceline is very persnickity about the 24 hour lockout. If you bid even a minute early your bid will kicked back as duplicate and the 24 hour clock may be reset again. To reinforce what thereuare said....the lockout ends 24 hours from your final bid in a session, not from the first bid.

If you're okay with staying at either Roosevelt or W (or Renaissance although that one rarely comes up) and you're willing to wait for better pricing (possibly) my suggestion is to book the $247 cancellable at W. Then every few days bid from $110 to $140 on Priceline. I wouldn't bid higher than $140 this far ahead.

If anything develops let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been regularly bidding up to 140, and on a couple of days up to 155, with no luck, doesn't seem priceline has inventory, and haven't seen any recent wins in hollywood

The hotwire rate for three people just went up today from 219 to 240.

The rate the hotel quoted me for three people is 359 and the fully pre-paid rate for three people is 279.

I bid up to 160/night on priceline, no luck and that was for 2 rooms, so was starting to be more expensive than hotwire. As I leave in a couple of weeks, want to get it sorted, and seeing the price go up, just went ahead and booked hotwire, as I wanted to stay at the W, it's not a big saving off the prepaid rate but is off the full rate for three people with two queen beds. (The three people bumps up the price from 184 to 240)

W Hollywood

$US240/night + $78.41 = $US279.21/night

W Hollywood Hotel and Residences

Upscale See ratings guide

Address:6250 Hollywood Boulevard,

CityStateZip:Hollywood, CA, 90028

Phone:(323) 798-1300

Check-in

CheckInDate:Wed, Jun 29, 2011

CheckOutDate:Fri, Jul 1, 2011

Amenities

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Spa Services

NoOfAdults:3

Rooms: 1

Congratulations on your success!

While not a huge deal, glad to see you received the hotel you were hoping for, got this stay settled, and are looking forward to your trip.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]