Priceline Hotel: Boutique San Fracisco (USE-Embrcdro) Galleria Park

bulajim
By bulajim,
in

:)

dates 7/8-7/11 2005

1st bid $107 4* USE Rejected

2nd bid $111 3* USE Accepted at a Boutique (Galleria Park) that wasn't even checked

Buyer beware -- 3* and 4* were in play on my screen and Boutique was unchecked...Priceline "upgraded" me from a 3* like Hilton or Hyatt to Galleria Park which has across the board rates lower than any of the potential 3*. Priceline unwilling to offer some sort of remedy.

I've posted my "successful bid" here for SF ---> http://www.betterbidding.com/show.php/act/...T/f/432/t/13108

Am I out of luck? Any Suggestions?

I was trying to get something in union square east in SF at either a 4* rating or 3* rating...when I made my rebid, I kept the location the same and asked for a 3* (noting that boutique wasn't checked since I'll be traveling with my wife and a child and boutiques are typically too small). 3* hotels in the neighborhood are the hyatt and hilton (both fine by me). Each going for $144 per night or so on other websites.

Much to my surprise Priceline accepted my bid to the Galleria Park Boutique hotel that looks to be a older 20 x 10 room where at one point I couldn't get anyone to even answer the phone.

Other than being a naive PL user and likely never again PL user, do I have any recourse with PL...I'd welcome the "downgrade" to the 3* but don't want the Boutique.

I've received the standard responses from the PL phone line and the standard no response from PL "executive offices".

I'm not trying to trash PL but when their screen shows a hotel class as unchecked, it's quite natural to assume it won't be the one selected. Also, the fact of putting a boutique higher than a 3* when every price I see for the boutique is less than any 3* in that neighborhood, is also misleading.

Sadly, I think you are out of luck.

Priceline doesn't explain their upgrade methodology much, if at all, on their web site, and I agree that a Boutique is quite often not an upgrade from a 3*.

If you read the HTML source code, you can see that they list Boutique as 3.5*. Of course you wouldn't know this unless you knew to look there.

You can try complaining - explaining how you had no reason to suspect Boutique was a possibility - but I don't think it's worked for anyone in the past.

I'd focus on seeing if you can get a two-bed arrangement - hopefully at no extra cost, but in any event nailing down something you'll all be happy with.

Your first bid was at 4* and then you added the 3*, correct? Since the BOUTIQUE level is between the two other levels, Priceline can upgrade you to that level. You should have left your bid at a 4* level and bid your free rebid zones while increasing your bid. Also, you should have started your bid lower (probably at $60 -$65) and then added the free rebids and increased bids $5 each time. I recently stayed in San Francisco at the Hilton (USW) from April 24 - 28, my winning bid was $75 (check recent winning bids to get an idea of what bidders are winning with) Heres a link you should read regarding bidding (from our moderator):

PRICELINE RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED

I think you are stuck with the BOUTIQUE because you were bidding (with the second bid) 3* or better.

It's important to really understand the bidding strategies you can use to get a great room at a decent price and to fully understand the rebidding process (and free rebids)

Thanks for the help -- I'll keep this thread updated on anything that I find -- I would think this is a pretty normal occurence/complaint...but maybe I'm "unique"!

Shammes, I agree with you that I should have done more research -- but didn't know (or maybe remember this site existed) until I had this happen...usually I'm very cheap in my bidding but really didn't want to screw around with it much -- I've learned much over the last couple of days. I'm still not sure I want invest the time in the intracacies of priceline bidding but I'm sure doing enough research now -- should have done it before.

Their website show rates of $169 for those dates and rooms with 2 doubles are available, but with Priceline of course the number of beds or smoking choice are not guaranteed. I suggest calling the hotel (directly) within the next few days and mention you have a "pre-paid reservation" (don't say Priceline) and make a request for a room with two doubles, non-smoking (I presume) Take note of name of person you talk to perhaps call again to check on your reservation before your trip. I've never had my request for the room type I wanted turned down and always gotten two beds if I requested them (not always in advance, but that's the way to go) Good Luck!

P.S. From their website it looks like a nice hotel, has free wireless Internet access and free daily wine reception as well. Rooms look really nice from the photo gallery they have.

Thanks for the help -- I'll keep this thread updated on anything that I find -- I would think this is a pretty normal occurence/complaint...but maybe I'm "unique"!

You're definitely not alone - unwanted "upgrades" have happened to a lot of posters here and elsewhere, so don't feel silly. Another common thing is that someone bids for a 2.5* hotel, and gets upgraded to a less-appealing 3* hotel.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I've merged the two threads so that it'll be easier for user to follow the situation in its entirety.

I think the above are all the correct course of action...

-continue to speak with priceline in hopes of a sympathetic ear (i would focus on the point that 'boutique' is not a number and therefore how would one know that it lies between 3* and 4* properties... in addition to it not being checked on the re-bid attempt. The price aspect i don't think adds to the argument and i always feel keeping my points pertinent better than bringing out the kitchen sink)

-call the hotel and put in a request for two double beds... seems that if you can get 2 beds then there may not be much of a problem

I can certainly understand your frustration, but i wouldn't sour on the opaque services just yet. There is certainly worthwhile savings to be had, but it's a game that requires an understanding of all the rules before playing. Unfortunatley, as mentioned above, the complete set of rules are not always fully explained nor abundantly clear).

Please keep us updated as to how this is resolved or how your stay works out. If any new information comes along and we can help please let us know.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

This is one reason why I avoid moving down to 3* in cities that have a lot of boutique hotels of variable quality. If I am willing to stay at a boutique in SF I will use Hotwire where there is some chance of idenitifying the hotel in advance...as I did for a forthcoming stay at the Serrano.

I am bit confused by bulajim's mention of a "3* like Hilton or Hyatt." My understanding is that the Hiltons and Hyatts in SF (apart from the airport) are all 4* properties for PL.

• 2 weeks later...

OK -- just to bring everyone up to date who is interested --

I made all the arguments with Priceline that were in the previous posts and each was met with the same stonewalling language from Priceline -- i.e. non refundable, non transferable, not changeable and out of luck. I still believe it was/is misleading of PL to "upgrade to a boutique". It did seem like I was corresponding with a human however at PL not just a computer since each reply refuted my arguments specifically. (If PL sold sold shirts and I wanted a large blue one, they likely would send me a xtra large long saying I got a value for the extra fabric.) :)

I have to take some blame since I naively used PL without doing enough research.

I haven't decided if I'm going to dispute the credit card charge or not at this point.

I did call the Galleria Park and did talk to a nice lady who listened to my predicament and said she'd "reserve the largest double room" for me but couldn't guarantee it. I plan on following up a few more times. I'll let everyone know how I find the hotel once I get there.

Thanks for all the advice.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]