Priceline Hotel: Priceline's age requirement?

Izzletodasmizzle
By Izzletodasmizzle,
in

I am 18 and my girlfriend is 19 and we wanted to plan a trip to canada. I wanted to use priceline but they say that i have to be 21 to check in. Do hotels in canada really enforce pricelines 21 year old age requirment because most everything in vancover is 19. I just dont want to book a trip through priceline then call the hotel to find out that i have to be 21 and loose the money because priceline doesnt refund.

THANKS

The legal age in Canada varies from province to province. In British Columbia and Ontario, it's 19 and in Quebec is 18. If you're travelling to a province where legal age is 19, it's better to book the room in her name. Also, you'll need a valid credit card under her name at check in.

You could also use Priceline UK, Priceline HK, or Priceline Singapore which all have 18-year-old age limits. I really doubt you would have any problems, though, but using your girlfriend's name is a good idea. In any event, don't point out your age at the desk (I'm sure you wouldn't).

• 3 years later...

I'm 20 and have been using PL and HW since I was 18.

I have rarely ever had a problem, although there are some places that are 21+. These tend to be lower class places (eg 1* or 2*) which I rarely bid on. It is the actual hotel, NOT Priceline or Hotwire that sets these rules.

I've only ever had a problem ONCE, and Priceline actually did refund my money so that I could re-bid. I told them that my partner who was 31 was sick and couldn't go with me as a result, and that I didn't qualify to check in without him. Priceline refunded EVERYTHING (and did NOT charge me $25)

I re-bid under 4* (original hotel was 3*) and got another hotel that was 18+ (and didn't even ask for ID!)

Mind you, this hotel was in Pittsburgh, PA.

Certain states have laws stating one must be 21 to get a hotel room (PA does NOT have this, nor does NY), while the laws may state you must be 21 if there is alcohol in the minibar (this can usually be gotten around by calling the hotel in advance and requesting a dry room, which is simply a room without alcohol in it.

This doesn't seem to be the case in Canada, but most places are 18 or 19 in Canada.

Hope this helps

Yeah, I'm only going to be traveling in Canada where the age of majority is 18 or 19. Currently I'm 19 and I could book any hotel in Canada without Priceline. I believe Priceline just put the age of 21 and didn't want to set it up for each location. I have suggested that they set up the different locations.

I'm curious, in which place were you not allowed to check-in?

Thanks a lot!

Just remember, there are SOME places that are 21+ in Canada but its unlikely. Because of the way PL works, its impossible for them to put it for every property.

Most 21+ places are in the states, and this may be done by either discriminatory hotel managers or in some states there is a law that states you need to be 21+. In some states such as PA, you have to be 21 to check in to a room that contains alcohol, however this can usually be gotten around by requesting in advance that the alcohol be removed; this is usually referred to as a 'dry room'.

The hotel I was turned away by was the Marriott Pittsburgh City Centre; I was moved to the Omni William Penn Hotel following this, and they didn't even ask me for ID!

BTW all the 4* hotels in Toronto you won't have a problem with; they're all 18 or 19.

Another thing that seems to get me around the 21+ thing is being an elite member of a hotel chain's frequent guest program usually helps (IF you get a hotel within that chain, eg Starwood Preferred Guest at Sheraton, Westin, W, Le Meridien, Four Points, etc...). I've got their gold membership and none of the Starwood properties have ever bugged me about my age when they see that I've got it! I'm assuming they can get in to a lot of trouble if they turn away an elite member.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]