Bidding help IAD to ANC

kevin347
By kevin347,
in

I am looking to bid for 2 tickets from IAD (washington dc) to ANC (Anchorage Alaska) between May 27th (Friday) to June 2nd (Friday). I do have little flexibility in changing the trip few days before may 27th but donot want to delay it.

I used air fare compare and the current price is around 520-550$ and the lowest fare is from DCA (Ronald reagon airport). I have 3 (DCA,IAD,BWI) choices for departure airport but only 1 for destination airport. What strategy do I adopt and how much do I start with for bidding? If i am seeing lowest fare from DCA does it mean I get lowest fare from that airport when I bid?

Thanks

Given the rates above, how much of a discount do you need to make an opaque purchase (agreeing to a connection, not choosing departure/arrival times, layover city or length, etc) worthwhile?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If i am seeing lowest fare from DCA does it mean I get lowest fare from that airport when I bid?

No, not necessarily.

$225 would be a lowball bid....less than 50% of the best price you've found. A $225 bid will be $287.55 with tax/fee.

As a starting point you can try three separate bids, just fishing to see if you get any counteroffers, how much the counteroffers are, and which airport, if any, brings the counteroffer.

IAD---ANC $225

BWI---ANC $225

DCA---ANC $225

After each bid close your browser and reaccess Priceline from the start to try the next airport.

Please post back if you get any counteroffers to the above, and if so how much.

Please reaccess the board's PRICELINE link for each of the three bids.

Good luck!

I was hoping you'd get a counteroffer to one of those.

Best rate now is $566 ($629 with tax).

You said your limit was $350 taxes included. That means a maximum bid of $286, still a lowball bid probably, 50% off best retail.

My suggestion is bid $250 from IAD. If rejected add DCA at $270. Then add BIA at $286.

I don't think it will probably work, but why not try?

You mentioned your dates are somewhat flexible. You've been bidding for Friday/Friday. I don't know Alaska travel patterns but maybe you'd have better luck some other day of the week, like Thurs/Thurs?

With your trip less than a month off now, and Memorial Day weekend, if you don't get something on Priceline pretty soon you should probably look to conventional, before/in case air rates go up.

Yes I used the above links. I am planning to switch dates to Thu to Thu ( I am seeing normal price of 500$ from IAD) and Sunday to Sunday (480$ from IAD via jetblue). Once all 3 bids from different airports is rejected, can I do multiple selection on airport and increase the bid price and try again since I am willing to fly from any of the 3 airports? does it work similar to hotels?

Also when bidding, it always tells me that priceline usually books flight upto 1 connection, is there a way to change that to allow upto 2 connections so my chances are higher?

TIA

I agree with your decision to give up and buy something now. Trip is less than a month away and you might not win anything. Usually as dates approach rates go up.

Lately it seems like more of the airline ticket wins happen close to departure date, and not that many people want to or can afford to wait and see.

Thanks for closing out the thread. Have a good trip.

p.s. Do you need a hotel in ANC too? If so you might save with a Priceline or Hotwire Vacation (air + hotel) package.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]