Priceline Hotel: 4* London/Westminster 7/14-7/16

belgo
By belgo,
in

I have been trying for 3 days using the SB/V free rebid, starting at $105. Unfortunately, the first time I bid, I used the computer of the friend I'm traveling with. Although he's a separate person with a different name, address, and credit card, I guess Priceline recognized his computer's IP address and rejected his bid as a "duplicate bid." Does anybody know if this means the Priceline will always view the two of us as the same person (even though we're not)? Is there a way of correcting this misinformation? Does Priceline have a street address one can write to? Thanks! :)

I started with $85 then added by $5 by adding on the Soho/Mayfield zone (not strictly a free rebid, but boy would I have been happy to get a place there!) and Southbank. (I'm not sure if the dates come through on the title; they're 7/14 for two nights). The Jolly Hotel St. Ermin's is going for $190 on Expedia for those nights.

I'm wondering which Priceline zone to bid now. The main thing I'm concerned about is being near an Underground station (that, and not getting stuck in an over-rated hotel with lousy rooms). I'm not sure I want to go much about the amount I previously bid for the S/M area because I don't want to end up with the Sheraton for $140. I would consider bidding for a 3* if the 3*'s in the appropriate zones were near Underground stations and were reasonably nice.

It seems from the information I can gather than not much has come up as 3* in the Southbank area other than the Novotel? It seems to be within easy walking distance of the Waterloo station? I know this is a rather nebulous question, but any advice? :)

Thanks!

The Novotel is about a 15-minute walk from Waterloo, and 9 minutes from the Lambeth North tube stop. There are also buses practically outside, and you can walk to the Parliament/Big Ben/Westminster Abbey area. So I think it's a reasonably good location. From my examination of the area, I don't think there are any other 3* hotels in that zone - but of course I could be wrong. The Novotel seems like a modern hotel, and I personally consider that a plus in London.

As you can see from a previous post, I bid 3* in Bloomsbury feeling fairly sure I'd get the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury. There are several other possibilities, though. But for me this is an excellent location - right near the tube, a grocery store, the British Museum and other museums, buses, etc. Based on the reviews, I think we'll get through just fine, although we certainly don't expect a luxury experience. This is a more convenient hotel for us than some 4* possibilities in Kensington.

The friend I'm traveling tried $100, then $105, then $115, and failed for that, too! :) I guess we may go back to trying Mayfair/Soho again, and not get too disappointed if we get the Sheraton again for our pre-cruise stay. It's probably either that or getting something not through Priceline, like the Kensington Country Inn and Suites, which seems to have some reasonable rooms at reasonable prices in a location reasonably near the Underground...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]