Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (La Jolla - UCSD) Empress Hotel Of La Jolla

KS - LSC
By KS - LSC,
in

As title says, I'm new to Priceline and trying to ramp up my learning curve as quick as possible. This site is fantastic. I've read through all the FAQs, but still looking for some help securing a hotel for one night in Santa Monica.

We're looking for a 3 or 3.5 star in Santa Monica for one night, March 19th, for under $100. Is this possible? We are traveling w/ our two children, so 2 Queens would be great, but not necessary. We are not really tied to any general area of the city; mostly just interested in nicest hotel at best price.

I've read that Priceline puts Santa Monica in with Marina Del Ray; and that's fine w/ us. Does Priceline also lump Venice in there too? Would like to maybe not stay in Venice but just focus on a hotel in Santa Monica or MDR area.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Welcome to Priceline bidding.

Priceline is the best choice in many circumstances but not always, and in your case I'll suggest looking at HOTWIRE first, for a couple of reasons:

1) You can guarantee two beds on Hotwire but not on Priceline. Enter "2 adults/2 children" and Hotwire will only give you two bed options.

2) Venice is part of Priceline's SM-MDR zone and you can't exclude Venice from a Priceline bid. If you bid 3.5* level only I don't think you'll win a Venice hotel but I can't guarantee that.

With Hotwire you can usually ID the hotel in advance and have some confidence you're getting a hotel in the area you want.

On Hotwire do you find anything two beds SM-MDR in your budget? It's a quirk of Hotwire that to see Santa Monica hotels you have to search on "Santa Monica", not "Los Angeles".

• 7 years later...

Just about exactly 7 years ago, we were able to travel to CA. Ended up changing plans at last minute to stay with a cousin, but got to stay in beautiful La Jolla at a great place called Empress Hotel Of La Jolla. Got a good deal on our room. I'm sure prices have gone up quite a bit in the ensuing 7 years!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]