Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Seattle (Downtown-Pike Place) Red Lion Inn on 5th Ave

Robin Coolidge
By Robin Coolidge,
in

Please provide a follow-up for your prior Priceline NYC thread (post in that thread what you decided for that stay), then reply to this thread and we'll be happy to look into the above.

Allways follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing, even if you chose to book direct, cancell your trip, etc.

Yellowdog.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

PS. Also post preferred star rating for hotel and max budget/night before tax/fee for your upcoming stay.

Would like Seattle Pike Place (first choice) or Space Needle.

Are you willing to pay more to stay in the Pike Place zone vs. the Space Needle zone OR is your goal the least expensive 4* or better in either zone?

Have you looked at rates for these dates at all as they're somewhat higher than usual and at current prices $100 may be a tough win at the 4* level.

Let us know the info above and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have looked at rates, but did not have the comparison to know they were higher during that week, thank you for that information. Depending on how much more I have to go for a 4*, I would be willing to go to a 3*.

Hum. After looking a little closer there may not even be a 4* in the space needle zone.

I really do not prefer one zone over the other.

Correct, there are currently no 4* hotels offered in the Space Needle zone... PRICELINE sometimes changes the boundaries of this zone and depending upon where the current boundary marker is located determines whether they offer 4* bidding here (it seems to change every few months)

Did you want to start bidding with a $100 maximum bid... or will you go higher than that at this time?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You can start even lower than $80, but my guess is that $100 won't be successful. Rates are date specific so you can't always replicate another user's winning bid, especially when their dates are different then your own.

At the 4* level you have TEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Pike Place...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I will have to decide if I am willing to go higher, or add 3* to the mix.

Don't forget 3.5* rated properties too.

Let us know if/when you decide how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Am I allowed to chime in, or should I be starting a new thread? Here is my comment/question:

I am needing a room in August in Seattle and I am wondering if it is too early to get a great deal? If I decide to go with Priceline, I also want a 4* hotel. (Still thinking about doing a B&:) I normally bid with Priceline at the last minute (2-3 weeks before) and typically get decent deals. My thinking is that if they have a high inventory as you get closer to your travel time, they are likely to be willing to accept lower bids. I know you are taking a chance because if they are all near capacity there is no way you will get a great deal at the end. That said, to me, it doesn't make sense for them to accept low bids this far out. My thinking tells me it is way too early to snag a deal for summer. Is my thinking correct or flawed?

Hotels have a pretty good ideal where they'd like to be, and where they should be, in terms of booking for any given date, taking in to consideration seasonality factors, events, conventions, etc.

If it's 10 months before a date and the hotel is only 5% occupied but they feel they should be at 15% occupancy, then they will price rooms (including opaque rates) very aggressively until they're at a 'comfortable' occupancy level for the amount of time before the dates in question... at which point they're raise rates again.

A perfect example of this is what we're currently seeing in NYC... just a short time ago the hotel market there was very slow and the economy was still somewhat uncertain, users who booked 6-9+ months ahead where getting great deals, even for peak season (spring) dates, as hotels didn't have many reservations on the books. The hotel market there, while still not 'strong', has recovered very nicely (stronger then most had expected) and rates for Spring dates are high once again, leaving many asking 'why can't i get the same deal' (which was booked months ago)

Bottomline: If your plans are firm, it never hurts to bid early... as long as you don't overbid. Know what a 'good deal' is for the time period you're traveling and keep your bids near the lower end of the expected range... not bidding the high end of the expected range until you get closer to the stay.

That is awesome! If you have a blog, I would post it there! :)

That really tells me I am using a decent strategy here. Bid early up to my comfort level. If it is not accepted, wait a week or so and try again. If it gets close to the trip I either have to decide to raise my budget or lower my **** rating. The chances of not being able to find a room anywhere are relatively low, and I just might get lucky and get a good deal.

I am still considering dropping a star level on this bid, but for the time being I think I am going to wait a week and go through the same bidding process.

Does that make sense?

Your plan makes sense but i'll add/clarify one point... there are times when cities do sell-out and/or demand is so high that rates are absurdly expensive. This is why it's also recommend to find a fully refundable back-up reservation... this protects you should rates move higher while you continue to bid; if they do drop and you're successful bidding, then you simply cancel your back-up.

I have a question about bidding for a four star hotel in Seattle. There are several 4* hotels and some seem more desirable than others from the reviews I have read. Would placing a higher bid increase my chances of getting certain hotels? I would hate to put in a higher bid only to find that I got one of the less desirable hotels that might have accepted a lower bid. Is there any rhyme or reason to your bid amount and which hotel might pick it up? Thanks.

Well, tried again today, added 3.5* to my choices, and had to go all the way up to $125 pp, but was accepted. Ended up with the Red Lion on 5th Avenue, $125.00pp. The dates are June 2-4, one room, two people. The best rate I could find on-line was $169, so definately saved some cash. I did use your link to the Priceline site.

I had to go $25pp over my budget, but it looks like this time in Seattle is an expensive one, and reviews are good for Red Lion.

Thank you for your help!

I stayed there a couple years ago when it was under construction, it's very nice! The rooms are very spacious too which is a little bit rare in seattle. The location is great too! Real close to Westlake Center

Thanks for the info! I did some checking and it appears to be only 4 or so blocks to Pike Place Market, and just a couple of blocks from the monorail that goes to where the Space Needle is.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]