Hotwire Hotel: Budget $ 130, 2 rooms in Santa Monica, hmm.

98t
By 98t,
in

We seek for the period 22th of July till the 24th of July a reasonable priced hotel in Santa Monica with 2 queen beds. I am dubbing, if we take Priceline we should bid for 2 rooms (4 persons), so that would match a budget of $ 65,- each room per night. Otherwise we could use Hotwire and have a budget of $ 130, (two queen beds).

My question:

- I don't see so many hotels yet for Santa Monica in the summer. Is your experience more will come? And is it an option in this area in the summer of 'last minute bidding', so just 1-2 weeks before hand?

First Priceline:

You may still be too early for July bidding but I think the bigger issue is your budget. $65 per room probably won't cut it for a July weekend in Santa Monica, even if you wait. If you can win something it will probably be a 2.5* or 2* and it will likely be at the Marina Del Rey end of the zone, not in Santa Monica.

Someone can provide a 2.5*/2* strategy if you like.

As for Hotwire:

Checking on 3 adults/0 children, which guarantees two beds, Hotwire has no opaque inventory. They've got the Courtyard Marina Del Rey for $169, which is a retail purchase and not discounted.

You can get two queens at the Santa Monica Travelodge Pico Blvd for $143.55, and that includes breakfast and parking, which the higher rated hotels will charge for. That's pretty close to your $130 limit and it can be cancelled until the day before. You might book the Travelodge as a backup while you wait to find a better deal. For four people in July you might not find a better rate than that. Travelodge reviews are pretty good for a 1*/2* motel. It's #8 of 33 Santa Monica hotels on TripAdvisor.

I came across several Courtyard bids for Marina Del Rey around $80, so we might increase our budget a bit to $ 160.

In your first post you said you wanted to stay in Santa Monica and I took that to mean you didn't want Marina Del Rey. I was looking at non-Priceline options because there's no way to exclude MDR on Priceline. But if MDR's okay with you, which now seems to be the case, then you might be able to get two 2.5* rooms on PRICELINE for your original budget of $130, or $65 per room.

I suggest $55 for a 2.5* in SM-MDR.

If rejected wait 24 hours and bid $60.

If rejected wait 24 hours and bid $65.

If that fails repeat the cycle once a week or so. There are no rebid zones for 2.5* in LA anymore so you can only make one bid a day. It could take weeks or months before your bid is accepted so definitely book a cancellable backup, Travelodge or something else, if you decide to wait it out, to protect yourself from ending up with nothing.

If you'd rather raise your budget and go for 3* I suggest $70 to start. Then add rebid zone Lawndale and bid $80.

Good luck!

Thanks Colfax, great help! I very appreciate it. MDR is fine with us, in that way that we are not familiar with L.A. and see positive reviews about the Santa Monica area in terms of safety/low crime levels and closeness to the beach, the cyclepath and some evening activities. MDR looks also O.K., maybe I'll need to reinvestigate the safety of this area. I'll try afterwards your strategy below.

We are happy to pay a bit more for a good hotel, rather $ 50 / day "without bed bugs" than paying $ 800 for cleaning my house to get rid of those fellows. Can occur with every star rating ofcourse. Courtyard MDR looks fine for me. We have a backup now at Travellodge Santa Monica.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]