Priceline Hotel: 3* New Haven (Orange-West Haven) Courtyard Orange

relaxing41
By relaxing41,
in

Got it on first bid tonight at $46. I bid last week trying to get this property at $40 and $42 and those were rejected. I have bid in the past for this room and have been rejected repeatedly up to $59 so I am extremely happy to be staying here for a price that I would pay for. I will post a review of the property after my stay.

I should have either asked someone here or researched better because the basic things I look for in a hotel stay was not to be had here. They offer no winter swimming pool, only seasonal outdoor pool and they offer no free breakfast. You can purchase breakfast lunch and dinner via a restaurant located in the lobby during certain hours of the day.

I was told by the front desk clerk that the priceline rooms had two beds. I asked her what size were they and shockingly she said "not as small as a double or full size bed, but not as big as a queen size bed" After telling her that there were no in between sized bed she insisted that not only that there were such beds but that also those were the size beds they had here. I previously read online that the beds were queen sized and now that I am in the room and measured the bed I can tell you that for sure these are queen sized beds. Something I would think that someone working in a hotel should know. She also told me that the rooms with one bed in them were King sized beds and much larger and much more expensive. She said something to the effect of " THe King size rooms cost a very lot more than the rooms with two beds in them, they are just so much more expensive and much larger, that we can't give them to priceline customers, those rooms cost so much more, its not even worth it..Like one night is equal to my rent, like that much more!"

The worse thing in the room was the uncleanliness of the beds,... they were totally gross. The hotel's appearance overall is nice but when I turned down the sheets. eww gross, there was hair everywhere and blood stains on both the sheet, cover and mattress itself. Not just on one of the beds but both of them in the first room I was given. THe next room had some gross hair but less of it and some urine and rust stains on one bed and some pooh stains on the other mattress cover. I wiped and scrubbed both beds and had housekeeping replace ALL the linens on the bed but they said they only had ONE clean mattress cover so i could only cover one bed and the other one I used an extra comforter to cover the bed. Even my daughter was grossed out and she does not gross out easily. There were actually small round brown dots on both the mattresses and surrounding areas such as the headboard and the box spring cover. I don't take it too seriously when some people post on their reviews that they saw a abed bug because it could have been one or it could have been a million other things unless they actually go into detail and say what they saw and what they did about the issue so I won't say they were bedbugs. They were something though. I took pictures of the bloodstains and from what I know about bedbugs they leave bloodstains. i did not see any live bugs in either room so something else could have been the cause of those stains but I would not stay in room 140 until or unless they steam clean both mattresses and thoroughly clean the rest of that room. What I did like about this room was that it was facing the courtyard and the pool. THe snow was not plowed so you really couldnt use the balcony but you could see how nice it would have been if you were able to. There were two chairs right outside the doors and I could just imagine how nice it would look under that snow. Being on the first floor, if the snow was shoveled you could have walked around and it would have been nice.

The next room the clerk assigned was right across from the original room which tells me how little this clerk knows about bedbugs, their causes and their migration habits. i'd prefer a room in a different part of the hotel but didn't want to continue to make a big stink and just wanted to settle in. I took it upon myself to wash and scrub the mattresses and the headboards. I did see some small brown dots, but not as many as the other room and they were not moving. I placed my suitcase in the bathtub and told my daughter not to leave anything in the drawers. I set up the iron board as a place for her to put her things up. Its a shame because the other room had a better view and this room is the view of the parking lot. Its hard to get comfortable in this room. This room had no balcony or outdoor seating area, just a view of the parking lot. I believe she assigned this room because it is used less often so less likely to be as dirty as the other room. (I may be giving her too much credit though, but that is what both me and my daughter thought of as to why this would be a better room to choose after what we saw in the room across from this one)

What irritates me the most is the clerk's attitude. She came across as if she could care less. It seemed for some reason that she was not at all shocked or concerned about what I found in that room. Either she knows something that us customers do not or she really could care less. she found it very hard to be helpful to other guest and even to a worker sent in by the company , She actually walked away from me after seeing that I was waiting to ask her a question. Grr. Otherwise , when I did have her attention, this women was pleasant to talk to, even a bit entertaining. I think they need to hire better staff though, or retrain this one. She said she worked at a different hotel in new haven which I will not name but her lack of customer service leaves me to wonder if she left voluntarily or not. I am not a type of person that usually has any difficulty with hotel employees, actually just the opposite is true, so I am just left perplexed about this one.

Its too bad because this could have been a nice stay.

I did eat at the Outback steakhouse which is in front of the hotel. easy to walk to from the hotel. THe food there was very good. My daughter loved the ribs and ate all of her food which for me says it all since it is hard for her to ever eat all of the food given to her on a plate.

I won't abandon the idea of coming here again completely, but I won't try again until the pool is open.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]