Hotwire Hotel: 3* San Francisco (Japantown-Civic Center North) Hotel Carlton

Colfax
By Colfax,
in

Hotel Carlton

1075 Sutter Street

San Francisco, CA 94109

Icons: Boutique, Highspeed Internet

I wasn't sure what this was going to be but with 90% positive reviews and 4/5 TripAdvisor rating I felt comfortable taking the leap. Carlton's come up on Priceline a couple times before (in PL's Civic Center zone), but this is its first appearance on Hotwire.

Carlton's a Joie de Vivre boutique with an international travel motif---postcards and pictures and objects from around the world. Casual atmosphere with comfy couches and stuffed chairs around a working fireplace in the lobby. Nine stories, built in 1927. Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff.

Internet free thoughout the hotel. Valet parking $30. Across the street, on Sutter, there's a surface lot that charges $20 for 24 hours with in and out privileges. Free wine reception from 530-600. Hotel restaurant serves "Arabic fusion", whatever that is. Looked nice but I didn't try. All kinds of restaurants within a couple blocks.

Basic rooms, low floor with brick wall view, were $90.30. They upgraded me for free to high floor, larger room, King bed, panoramic city view, which was $107.80. Room had connecting door to another room unfortunately. One night quiet, one night not. Connecting room was the tradeoff for king bed and panoramic view.

Carlton's in the transitional area between Tenderloin and Nob Hill. Some call it Tendernob. Blocks to the south are sketchy. North it gets much better. The block that the hotel is on is quiet and well maintained, not trashed. To me it's a safe area but it depends what you're used to. $5 cab to Union Square. If you walk take Sutter Street rather than the blocks to the south.

I enjoyed my stay and would be happy to stay at the Carlton again. Next time I'll ask for a nonconnecting room.

Purchased through the BetterBidding HOTWIRE link.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]