Hotwire Hotel: No rooms in Philly--what gives??

sibley
By sibley,
in

What the heck is going on in Philly next week? Absolutely no rooms available on Hotwire. I got this message:

We're sorry, there are currently no results for the following neighborhood(s):

Center City East, Center City West, Historic District - Waterfront.

I bopped over to another site to see what was up and found even more weirdness. Here's the listing for a 2.5*.

Comfort Inn Penns Landing Historic Area Lowest avg rate $755.50

Philadelphia, PA

Room type Sun Mon Tue Wed Avg rate (per night)

Standard room $199 $1332 $1332 $159 $755.50

$1332 for a Comfort Inn??? Not in this lifetime. :)

There is a Risk Management meeting at the PA Convention center, maybe they are blocking out some rooms for this event, not sure how many people are expected to attend. You might just want to check out the "Cherry Hill" NJ area on the HOTWIRE map. It looks like a 3* is available for $48 and this may be the Cherry Hill Hilton. Built as a Hyatt about 30 years ago, this has been a Hilton for more than 10 years. With no traffic, you can get to the Ben Franklin bridge and into Philly in about 15 minutes. You can even take the PATCO High Speed Line into Center City from the nearby Collingswood station and not have parking hassles. If you end up here, check out "The Pub" on the Airport Circle, about 10 minutes from the Hilton, but stick to the fillet, strip, or prime rib served any day of the week. Avert your eyes from all else on the menu. :)

It pains me greatly, but it's going to be cheaper to stay out by the airport and pay $40 day for taxis than it is to stay across the river and pay for a rental car and parking. (Not to mention the general frustration of driving in downtown Philly.) It's slim pickins, even by the airport. I booked the Extended Stay at their website for $74/night.

It amazes me that one convention could wipe out basically every room in the city.

you can take the R1 train from the airport into Center City Philly, check out the schedule at Septa R1 Line

I used Savingsbarn.com to access the Hotwire website and for your dates of travel, a 2* property is available for $60 with the following amenities: Suite, Kitchenette, Laundry Facilities. This has not been identified. The hotel does not even show a shuttle icon. Unlike your Extended Stay reservation, this is not cancellable.

Keep monitoring availability and maybe make a few phone calls to some of the center city hotels as there may be cancellations by the show organizers. You might not pay Priceline rates this week, but staying at an Extended Stay America Airport Hotel and taking cabs sounds like tough duty.

just go to savingsbarn.com and right between the Priceline and Office Depot "banners" you will see a link to HOTWIRE. The 2* at the airport is still there for $60. But before you do this, call a few of the Center City hotels to see what the room inventory is like for next week. I am speculating that the show at the PA convention center is the reason for the lack of rooms. If it looks like things won't free up in the next day or so, you might have to stay at the Philly Airport. At least you can have dinner in town before you head back to the hotel as your dining options will probably be limited to Chinese or Pizza/Hoagie delivery :) If you grab cabs from center city back to the airport, try to take a detour to Tony Lukes and get a roast pork sandwich with sauteed broccoli rabe and provalone.....better make it 2 to go!!!

As you suggested, Dahammer, I made some calls and kept a close eye on things. Got the same story everywhere--the conference from hell that has eaten up most rooms in the city.

Thanks for the Septa train info. That's what I'm going to do. As it happened, I took a nasty tumble yesterday and injured my leg. I'm not up for multiple packs/unpacks this week. I'll stay by the airport, take the train, and be grateful that I fly home a day earlier than usual.

As always, thanks for your advice and insights!

and I thought you could get a room on one of the upper floors of a center city hotel....the convention is for insurance "Risk Management " :)

Looks like some rooms are freeing up on Wednesday night, though......

A speedy recovery as well, this week you will have some great weather, too bad you'll miss the April 21 opening of Rock Lobster, a great riverfront restaurant/bar/nightclub that has an open deck to catch the sun as it tucks itself behind the skyline of Philly for the night. Check it out upon your return!!

Despite the bum leg, I am now motivated to move when I can. I don't have grand expectations of Extended Stays, but this one is a dive. :)

It took a ten minute argument just to get my room--and I had my written confirmation. But, a room and a clean room are two different things. There were cigarette ashes on the floor in the bathroom and it just reeked of smoke. Particularly ironic since it's a non-smoking room. I had a little chat with the day manager this morning. They're moving my room, but I'd prefer to be elsewhere.

Dahammer, I will indeed check out Rock Lobster. Sounds like a cool place.

For now, I'm off to see where those room are becoming available.

I had the (dis)pleasure of staying one night at the Extended Stay America in Melville, NY about two years ago, the room was spartan to say the least! The unkindest cut of all is having to pay $1.00 at a vending machine for a packet of ground coffee to make your morning brew! A coffee maker is provided in the room, but no coffee! No coffee in the lobby either. Some folks rave about this type of lodging, but I paid over $100 a night for my room and felt ripped off; I'm not even sure they had soap and shampoo. Also, the rate for 4 nights is actually more than a 7 night stay.

That's a great way to make people grouchy--coffee maker but no coffee! :)

There is a package of coffee in the room, but I don't drink the stuff. It does say that additional packages are available in the vending machine. I agree with you--tacky.

I'm in a clean, non-smoking room tonight. I think these kind of properties are hit-and-miss. When I moved my mom from OH to GA she was in an extended stay place for 6 weeks until she closed on her new house. However, it was brand new and had an excellent desk staff.

My experience has been that airport hotels of all ilks are often not well maintained. I think they rationalize that people are just staying there out of necessity and will tolerate mediocre accommodations.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]