Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Algonquin Marriott

smuis
By smuis,
in

First of all, this site has given me confidence to try Priceline and I thank you for that!

On to my First Quest.

How did it go? Well, first I used the PL Calendar on this site to figure out winning bids for March in 2010.

This showed me that TS Hilton (4*) has been going for 150 USD.

No alternative 4* hotels were won so I assumed that if I win the bid in TS for that period I would get the Hilton.

Anyway, I started bidding at 131 USD and ended at 155 USD using all my rebids (using zones 3* and below).

In the end I resorted to also selecting MTE which does have a 4* but I reduced the price to 105 USD - thinking it would take me to the Grands Hyatt.

All were rejected.

Anyway, just thought I would tell my sorry tale here. Tomorrow I will try again...

If you have any tips to help improve my chances of a decent 4* for that period I am all ears! (PS: I do not want to split my bid.)

Welcome and be warned, once you start paying less than half for hotel rooms, you can't go back to paying rack rates!

Just like the stock market, past performance doesn't forcast future results, so while looking at historical information can help, its not totally relevant to your stay.

What is your maximum bid per night, the minimum star rating and the zones which you are willing to accept? Is there any particular reason for wanting to stay in the Times Square zone? Also, just because the Hilton Times Square was reported as a win, your bid is based on a minimum star rating and you could get any hotel that meets this criteria in the zone you select.

Hi Mr Hammer,

I am already feeling the seductive and addictive pull of the hunt! But yes, unfortunately it seems to be just as unpredictable and potentially disappointing as the stock market.

It is a special holiday so I just want to maximise everything.

My maximum bid per night is 150 USD (excl taxes) - or better of course. I want to just go for 4* hotels as I believe my budget is sufficient.

I do not know NYC at all but I think TS and MTE would be great. Then again, I am open for suggestions.

As mentioned in my previous post - I focussed solely on TS because I am reasonably sure that could net me the Hilton.

I am prepared to keep on trying until the weekend - otherwise I will just book direct with the exact knowledge of what I am getting.

Thanks for any help!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Including all zones which are acceptable will increase the number of hotels able to accept your bid which will increase your chances of landing a great deal. For the average visitor, at the 4* level the MTE, MTW, TS, CPS and ESB zones typically all work out quite well and are convenient to mass transit. Please go to PRICELINE (using this link) and look at these zones and let us know if all of these are acceptable OR if there is a reason you want to avoid any of them.

We'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... please click this PRICELINE link before replying.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Mr thereuare,

I will be clicking through this site to bid. You are have provided me with valuable insights and am happy to pay it forward.

I am a bit of a conservative and prefer to limit the chance of an unexpected result. That is why I went exclusively for TS, it seemed to only result in Hilton.

Are any other areas more or less limited to just 1 or 2 possible results in the 4* 100-150 USD range? Or what do you suggest - should I just say 'f#ck it' and take MTE, TS and CPS in my bidding strategy?

However, I was inspired by the guy who got The Kitano pretty randomly (posted here recently). But taking risk is against my nature :)

Thanks.

I will be clicking through this site to bid. You are have provided me with valuable insights and am happy to pay it forward.
Glad the site has been helpful thus far and thanks in advance for using the links on the board to bid, but also...
... please click this PRICELINE link before replying.

In regards to your stay, based upon current prices i don't think that $150 is going to land you a 4* Times Square hotel, and if it did i'm less certain then you that it would be the Hilton. You can gain a lot of insight by doing research, but PRICELINE just isn't as predictable as you're making it out to be, imo.

Rates may ultimately come down for your dates, and you may ultimately get a 4* hotel in Times Square for $150 or less, and it may even be the Hilton... but at the moment i don't think $150 is the right price (and i wouldn't pin your results down to just the hilton).

Whether you choose to continue to just bid the TS and MTE zone(s) and hope for lower prices in the near future OR decide to add other zones where i think you have a better chance at landing a 4* hotel within your current budget, is one of personal preference... how much you enjoy the bidding process, how much you prefer to get this done and taken care of, if you have a back-up reservation at an acceptable price, etc, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am a bit of a conservative and prefer to limit the chance of an unexpected result. That is why I went exclusively for TS, it seemed to only result in Hilton.
you seem to be hunting for only one type of game, i.e., a known outcome.....yet the result of your bid could be any property that appears on the list (and possibly you could uncover a new property not previously reported to Betterbidding).
However, I was inspired by the guy who got The Kitano pretty randomly (posted here recently). But taking risk is against my nature :)
Part of the reward of obtaining a room at a deep discount is the inherent risk involved with bidding.

@Mr Hammer,

I understand the rules of the game and am aware it is a little against my nature. I am a little risk averse.

However, in my defense, I am booking an 8 night stay which will cost me more than 1200 USD. So if I end up with a dud it will have a significant impact on my holiday.

If it were only a 1 or 2 night stay I would definitely be less conservative.

@Mr Reuare,

before discovering Priceline and this site I was thinking of going for Hotel Metro for about 170 USD (incl. tax).

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Quick update, today I tried:

4* NYC ESB, TS, CPS, MTW, MTE for 155 USD with no luck.

I then also added Hell's Kitchen and reduced price 131 USD as I don't know anything about HK.

All were rejected.

Tomorrow I'll try again and see if anything has been updated.

PS: I did click through to PRICELINE from this board.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE links for your bidding :)

HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the ESB zone for $153/nite with Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business and a respectable 4.0/5.0 Tripadvisor rating... best guess for this one would be St Giles The Court. Would this work for your needs?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks! Indeed it sounds pretty good.

Also, which hotel on hotwire do you think the 4* 179 USD a night with Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business in Midtown Central is?

Thanks again for your time, I will click through your site when I book. I do think I will be a little more patient with priceline until the weekend.

QUICK EDIT: I just checked the site of St Giles The Court and in fact I can book there direct for 161.85 USD/night. May be worth considering as my safety if priceline falls through.

If that rate at the St. Giles is cancellable i'd certainly book that as a refundable back-up (to protect yourself from the price going up and/or the HOTWIRE offer disappearing while you continue to try PRICELINE)

The amenities of the 4* in MTC are very common for the area and match multiple properties (at least six) which you can see in the Hotwire Hotel List... but with the ESB property and a direct purchase of the St Giles costing less than this one, and you're still going to try PRICELINE thru the weekend, we won't pursue this one at this time. If it comes to you considering this once you're ready to make a purchase we'll try to ID what is currently offered at that time.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Good luck and keep us updated on your bidding.

Wow, thanks very much for your time and effort.

I am now actually considering splitting my bid, seeing as priceline doesn't average a bid.

So:

- Block1: Friday 11 March to Monday 14 March

- Block2: Monday 14 March to Saturday 19 March

I would then like to bid in different zones for each block so we can experience different parts of the city.

Do you think this is an improved strategy?

Do you think Block2 would have a lower rate, eventhough it includes the Friday night?

I will keep you updated on my bidding progress!

Thanks again for your time.

PRICELINE does average rates across a stay in most cases (but not all) so i'm not sure that SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID will help you with a lower price. As well, rates look fairly consistent throughout your stay, except a few hotels which are showing an increase for the last 3 nites, so a betters split might be 3/11-3/16 and 3/16-3/19... although i would suggest trying to get as many nites done on your first purchase as possible and bid the following date combinations:

3/11-3/19

3/11-3/18

3/12-3/19

3/11-3/17

3/13-3/19

3/11-3/16

3/14-3/19

3/11-3/15

3/15-3/19

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Oh right, I though priceline did not average rates as a rule. Guess I misunderstood the faq!

Thanks for your insights, I will probably resort to splitting my bid next week.

Until then, I will stick to the following strategy for a 4* hotel:

- ESB, TS and CPS until 160 USD

- Add HK, MTE and MTW but reduce max to 140 USD.

I am actually curious if HK would be a good hotel. No idea what to expect there.

I must say, this is pretty addictive - trying to explore all the dimensions and trying to get a deal. I am curious what the page looks like when you do finally get a win.

Yes, the counter offer is progress. It implies there really is something out there somewhere between your last bid and that counter. There are reported incidents of just one additional $ winning the bid, although it tends to be somewhere 1/2 way up.

You did right to decline.

And of course sometimes one wins a bid, having never seen a counter offer, so not seeing one is not necessarily a bad thing.

Romelle

It seems to be improving for me! Although still no win :)

I went in 4* TS, CPS, ESB at 131 USD and got counter offer for 35 USD more. I declined.

Then for 145 USD with no success.

Then added HK for 131 USD and didn't get that either.

Then added MTW and MTE for 138 USD with no luck.

More luck tomorrow!

PS: Went through the PRICELINE link on the board!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]