Priceline Hotel: 3* San Francisco - 29/01 (8 nights)

KreGg
By KreGg,
in

Hi, I'm travelling to San Francisco on the 29th of january and will stay there for 8 days.

I'm looking for a place to stay in the 50-80 dollars range. So I'm thinking maybe a 3 hotel would do it.

Also, I don't particularly have a preferred area. I would just try to avoid the center of the tenderloin area. The other time I stayed in SF through Priceline, I got a boutique hotel that bordered the tenderloin area, and it was quite good. So anywhere around it is fine, just not right on it, as I will be with my father also.

So, maybe you guys can help me again. Thanks.

If you go to PRICELINE (please use this link) and look at the zone boundaries for this region, which zones would you be willing to accept a hotel anywhere within the shaded boundaries of the zone?

Also, rates are not that high for these dates... if you could get a 3.5* within your budget would you want to try for that OR is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I will be with my father also.

Does being with your father mean you need two beds? PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, which could be a room with one bed. Bidding 3* near Union Square there's a pretty good chance that one bed's what you'll get.

HOTWIRE might be a better option. If you search on "3 adults/0 children"--even though there are only two of you--you're guaranteed two beds, or in rare circumstances one bed plus a rollaway or pullout couch.

I've stayed at SF once, using priceline, and got a boutique hotel. They gave us 1 king size bed, but when we asked for two beds, they put us on another room. No problems.

Anyway, it isn't a problem sharing the bed. I have found priceline to have the best deals over hotwire.

I would go for the least expensive 3* hotel. The areas I'm looking at initially are Union Square West, Union Square East and SOMA.

I would be willing to add the Financial District. And if I still can't get anything, I would be willing to add both the Fisherman's Wharf and Marina - Lobard Street.

Let's put my initial max rate at 80 dollars and the highest stars i could get at it. I think a 4* hotel will be out of range, for 80 dollars, isn't it? But that's ok, I'm willing to go 3* etc.

I would appreciate if you guys can help me plan a bidding strategy.

I've stayed at SF once, using priceline, and got a boutique hotel. They gave us 1 king size bed, but when we asked for two beds, they put us on another room. No problems. Anyway, it isn't a problem sharing the bed. I have found priceline to have the best deals over hotwire.

I've stayed at several 3* hotels around Union Square and I'd say your experience of getting upgraded to two beds for free is NOT typical for this part of town, and that you were lucky. MANY hotels near Union Square assign Priceline guests a small room with one full or queen bed (NOT a King) and charge an upgrade fee on the order of $20-35/day for a room with a king bed or two beds. This is especially likely to happen bidding the 3* level as many of the 3* hotels are older properties built in the days when hotel rooms were smaller. But it can happen at 4* level too. The smallest bed I've ever had in SF was at the 4* Westin St Francis.

For an eight night stay, especially, I think you're taking a real gamble on Priceline. If you win the wrong hotel and have to pay $25 or $30 extra per night for a king or two beds it may that reserving two beds on Hotwire would have been cheaper after all---even if the Hotwire base rate was $10 more than Priceline's. Also there are hotels that only participate in Hotwire and not in Priceline. I think it's worth looking at HOTWIRE anyhow and seeing if they offer anything in your price range with two beds guaranteed.

Another possibility: The King George Hotel, just a block from Union Square, is running a special thru January 31 at $69, for one queen or two twins. King George is one of the better budget hotels downtown. If that appeals to you the hotel might be willing to extend the $69 rate for the length of your stay, including the February dates. If not could book your three January nights at $69 and make another arrangement for the February nights.

If you want to take a chance on PRICELINE though it's totally up to you. Let us know and someone will provide a strategy.

Hmm this King George Hotel might be worth a look then, i will check it out.

But also, 1 queen bed is quite ok. Neither me nor my father are big, so we can definitely fit on 1 queen sized bed.

And having no real restrictions, i think priceline will be the best solution, as i'll probably get the best hotels for the lowest prices there.

So i'll be using the Union Square East and West at 4* first. Then, if I cant get a good deal, I would be willing to extend to the Financial District, and if I still cant get something, which I doubt then, I could also use Fishermans Wharf and Marina-Lobard Street.

Thanks guys

At the 4* level in San Francisco you have FIVE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* USE...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* USW...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* USE and USW...

Bid $68, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Gallus50,

Thanks!

KreGg,

Any interest in trying to $80 for a 3.5* in USE or USW? You've got three rebid zones for 3.5* if you want to try.

If you'd rather raise your limit for a 4* what's your new limit?

Have you already tried bidding to $80/4* in Financial/Embarcadero?

KreGg,

You could also make a decision to raise your budget OR add the Financial District... you won't need to do both at the same time.

If you prefer USE or USW and are willing to pay a little more for one of these zones then i would follow the strategy above once again but with higher bid amounts... if you decide budget is more important then zone preference i would first use a strategy of bidding for a 4* in the Financial District... then if rejected try bidding all three zones (USE, USW, Financial) with a higher maximum bid.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and/or how we'll advise accordingly.

Hmm I tried today with the Financial District, starting at 65 U$, going up to 81, couldnt get anything.

So I tried USE going as high as 91 dollars, and couldn't get it also.

So what I know is that 81 dollars can't get me a 4* at USE, USW and Financial District and 91 dollars can't get me a 4* at USE.

I will check tomorrow where my budget will let me go, and maybe I take a step back at the star levels.

Hey guys, so I ve tried the past few days some things.

And I couldnt get anything at 4* on USW or USE as high as 101 dollars per night.

So I am now looking for 3* at USE.

Can someone point me a bidding strategy knowing i couldnt get a 4* at those zones... cause right now i dont quite know at what price range should i start at. And since i'm looking just at USE for now, i wont have as many re-bid zones.

Do you want to try for for a 3.5* in USE first before dropping down to 3*? There are four rebid zones for 3.5* but only one rebid zone for 3*. You could bid for a 3.5* first and if that doesn't work then try for 3*.

What's your bidding limit for a 3.5*? For a 3*? My offhand guess is a 3* will take something in the $50-75 range.

If you want to try 3* first I suggest $50 for 3*, then add your only rebid (Marina-Lombard) at $60.

I just checked and 3.5* is still offered in USE.

Close all bidding windows you have open. Reaccess PRICELINE and start over.

Select USE only and you should see a 3.5* option. Francis Drake and Marriott Union Square are the known 3.5*.

I suggest $65 for 3.5* in USE. Add your four rebids at $75, $80, $85, and $90.

Good luck! Let us know if you're still having trouble finding the 3.5* option.

Hey, tried for 3.5*. Started at 65 dollars, and tried till 91 on USE. No good still.

I checked at Hotwire and saw a 4* hotel at the Fishermans Wharf, which seems to be Sheraton.

My ideal place would be a lil more central, like USE... but now seeing this deal at hotwire, i think maybe i can get a good deal at priceline on the wharf also.

Also, I checked and there will be two large conventions in SF. One ending in the day i arrive, on the 29th, with 35,000 people expected. And another big one, with 16,000 people expected, beginning at 02.05. So maybe this is hyping up the prices.

So may someone point me at which price range should i start at a 4* at Fishermans Wharf, knowing the hotwire deal, and give me a better strategy. I would go up to 95, cause if i cant get for that, i can just go to hotwire and get it there.

Thanks guys

Hey guys, I still haven't had much luck with a hotel in SF...

I tried going as high as 110 dollars, on SOMA, USE and USW for 4 stars... no luck.

And to make things worse, I saw today a 3* hotel at Hotwire. I decided to book it. Everything was doing fine. I added my credit card details and it said it was going to book it...

Then it took me back to the search results page, the hotel had disappeared from the list of availables, but it didn't send me any confirmation email nor did it show me any confirmation page.

Now I don't know if I got a room or not, and I'm afraid to pay double... oh well

KreGg,

You're trying awfully hard and hopefully will have success, possibly raising your max a bit at whatever star level you're looking for. If it were me, I would book the 3* Holiday Inn Golden Gateway on Lastminutetravel.com for $75/nite, noting it is cancelable for a $25 fee up to 7 days before checkin. There is also choice for number of beds. The hotel is located at one of the California Street cable car terminus (sp), and near a Whole Foods Market, Ruth's Chris, House of Prime Rib, Tommy's Joynt, Swan Oyster Depot and many others. Good luck.

KreGg,

You're trying awfully hard and hopefully will have success, possibly raising your max a bit at whatever star level you're looking for. If it were me, I would book the 3* Holiday Inn Golden Gateway on Lastminutetravel.com for $75/nite, noting it is cancelable for a $25 fee up to 7 days before checkin. There is also choice for number of beds. The hotel is located at one of the California Street cable car terminus (sp), and near a Whole Foods Market, Ruth's Chris, House of Prime Rib, Tommy's Joynt, Swan Oyster Depot and many others. Good luck.

Hey slruud, thanks buddy.

Lastminutetravel.com is like priceline and hotwire? Or is there an option for an open hotel search? Cause i saw a 75 dollars hotel in there, but since it doesnt show me the name, i may be looking at the wrong one.

I will try going as high as 115 dollars for a 3.5* hotel in USE. I have another internet (different modem, different ip) here on my house. I'll cross my fingers

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]