Priceline Hotel: Help with Resort on Kauai

jpl
By jpl,
in

Hello,

I'm fairly new to priceline (and this forum!), having used them for airfare a couple of times a few years back but never for a hotel.

My wife and I are taking a belated honeymoon and we really want to stay someplace special on Kauai. As you may know prices there are crazy (and this is supposed to be the off-season!)

So I've been trying to figure out how to get a top hotel like the Hyatt via Priceline. The lowest rate even on Hotwire appears to be $364.00 which is way out of our price range -

anyway - enough exposition!

I'm really not clear on what Priceline considers a "Resort" property and that is making me nervous about bidding. The only "Resort" property they list when I look at "shop and compare" is the Hyatt (also true of their packages page). BUT as I start to bid they say the median price for a resort hotel on Kauai for the dates listed (May 21 to May24) is $259 which means they must have other hotels they consider "Resorts", right?

Any light you can shed on this - or strategies you can give me for bidding this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

jpl

Welcome to BetterBidding!

This post seems to be after your MAUI HOTWIRE post... so this in addition to your other stay?

Please add the dates of your stay to your other post and then we'll take a look at this Kauai stay.

Always ignore the 'suggested/median retail price' from priceline.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Yes these dates are in addition to the Maui dates - we'll actually be on Kauai from 5/21 to 5/27, but are planning to stay somewhere cheaper (condo?) on the North Shore for the last three nights.

jpl

Unless they've "fibbing" (possible these days) the packages features shows there to be little promise in getting a Kauai resort for a good price for your days. Inventory can change, of course.

I always recommend the Waimea Plantation Cottages on Kauai (1/2 price through Aston with an Entertainment Card), but it does seem that relatively few of the folks going to Hawaii are looking for laid back "old Hawaii" accomodations. If you want a "resort," WPC is not it.

• 3 weeks later...

Lonestar Said: "I always recommend the Waimea Plantation Cottages on Kauai (1/2 price through Aston with an Entertainment Card), but it does seem that relatively few of the folks going to Hawaii are looking for laid back "old Hawaii" accomodations. If you want a "resort," WPC is not it"

Ohhh Sounds lovely!

How do you get such a deal, and how much does it end up costing? My husband and I want to stay on the West Side of Kauai (he said it is more secluded *ahem*)

Do you recommend this area for seclusion and the ability to just be able to drop off out of sight?

Which side of Kauai is this?

Thank you so much!!!! We are looking at going for our anniversary Nov 7-14, 2005.

WPC is in Waimea, which is in the southwestern part of the island. Kauai's not too big, so maybe 45 minutes from the Lihue airport.

Yes, it is an extremely laid back destination. I love it, most people do. But some people don't want to pretend its 1930s Hawaii (with TV, telephone and wi-fi access) and prefer modern resorts.

Call aston hotels, or the property direct (sometimes they have different rates!) and tell them you have an Entertainment Card. It should be about $100/night for a cottage if they honor the deal. You then need to get an Entertainment Card (good idea anyway) which go for about 15 bucks. They also have rooms in a big restored mansion for a little less, but I'd go for a cottage. It might be worth 5 bucks extra for a better view.

Let me know how it goes.

http://www.waimea-plantation.com/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews...uai_Hawaii.html

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]