Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* London (Airport Heathrow LHR) Holiday Inn M4-Jct4

oceanannie
By oceanannie,
in

I am new to this site..... and am kinda nervous about getting a hotel in an area of London that would not be conducive for two little seniors... going post crusie to London 5/21-5/24 and have been studying hotels and prices on your site. trying to become a little familiar with how things work...... interested in getting 4 star hotel... simular to Grand in Mayfair area for the price I have seen posted a couple times of around $80.00 or so US or even something simular in an nice area good for getting out to the tourist spots.. I was wondering also, if it might be a bit early

thanks for any help you can offer.. oceanannie

Welcome to BetterBidding!

As far as when to bid, see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

I would start by doing a little research (if you haven't already) in regards to what you'd like to do while you're in London, from there see the location and nearby train and bus lines, and determine which zone(s) would work best for your needs. Once you have your acceptable zone(s) we'll be able to look at rates and suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

WE DESPARATELY NEED YOUR EXPERTISE IN GETTING A GOOD DEAL IN A 4 STAR HOTEL .. SUCH AS THE GRAND HOTEL IN MAYFAIR AREA.. OR EQUAL... FOR AROUND $80.00 OR SO AS SEEN ON YOUR SITE.. WE ARE 2 SENIOR LADIES... 1ST TIMERS TO LONDON.......NEW TO BIDDING ON WEB SITES. ETC.... WE ARE STAYING 3 DAYS POST CRUISE 5/21-5/24 VERY LEARY ABOUT ENDING UP IN UNDESIRABLE AREA AND BEING "LOST".. MUST BE CAREFUL... YOU ARE SO HELPFUL TO OTHERS... WE KNOW WE CAN DEPEND ON YOU... WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR OFFER OF HELP WITH BIDDING STRATEGEY.. WE ARE NOT FAMILIAR WITH SURROUNDINGS OR AREAS OF LONDON... .. BUT WANT TO SEE THE SIGHTS... GET TO HEATHROW AIRPORT IN TIME TO CATCH OUR PLANES HOME, AND, OF COURSE, ALSO, "BE SAFE THANK YOU....OCEANANNIE

OceanAnnie,

Please do some research before bidding. According to their website, the Grand at Traflagar Square only has queen sized beds (1 bed) in their standard rooms. As you seem to be travelling with a friend, this may not be what you are looking for. Just a heads up. You may want to avoid this zone when bidding if one queen is not acceptable. Most other hotels will have more variety in their bedding types.

A fellow cruiser, Dexem

I'm also a senior grandmother, and have visited London a number of times, usually bidding via Priceline. The big 4* hotels in the more central areas seem to all be pretty much situated within a reasonable walk to a Metro station, and from there one can get anywhere in London, including making connections back to the airport.

I don't usually walk out after dark by myself though, in any metropolitan area. Taxis would be a better option then. Using reasonable precautions and common sense appropriate for cities, I've always felt safe in London.

I've usually started low on my bidding and used most of the areas. Often ended up with the Copthorne in Kensington, as it seems to be the lowball. It is about 2 blocks from a Metro. Check out the reviews on this site. It has worked well for me, but some people take issue with it. If you are inclined to agree with them, rule out that area.

One time I got a Thistle in another area. Also worked well for me.

You might take a look at more of the reviews and see if you want to definitely include or exclude other areas.

While you are in Priceline, do click on the "detail maps" for the individual areas. There is a nice description under each one, outlining its particular sights. And notice you can zoom into those maps, spotting the little red symbols for Metro stations and lots of other detailed information.

Look into one of those "Oyster" cards or an all-you-can-ride on the Metro. Lots easier than fumbling with unfamiliar coins and buying tickets regularly.

If your departing flight is very early, you might consider bidding for your last night at an airport hotel. There likely will still be a shuttle ride involved, but there is a certain peace of mind in knowing you are that much closer and therefore there is less chance of something going wrong.

I look forward to following your bidding challenge.

Romelle

OceanAnnie,

You have a long time before your trip, so there's no reason to panic. Since you obviously know how to use the computer, you should have plenty of time to figure out what you will want to see and where things are. Go to the library and pick up a London travel guide. Winthin your time frame, you should be able to figure out nearly everything you want to see in your three days.

With the Metro, you're never far from anything. Look at the sights you've picked out and try the zones that you'll most likely spend the bulk of your time.

Getting a London book is really your best start. This is your trip, so don't count on others' experiences to match your own. Relax and enjoy the planning; it's one of the favorite parts of my trips.

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to let you know that I stayed in London on business for the first time last April; I was 25 and alone (I'm a girl). I used maps.google.co.uk in street view to learn my way around before I ever set foot in the UK!

I joined this site because I want to go back and my company isn't paying this time - so I want to be a savvy buyer this time!

• 2 months later...

Hello

can you give me some pointers for getting best price for 4 * Heathrow area hotel 5/22 5/23 we are staying Westminister area 5/21 I am new to this and appreciate any bidding advice you can offer. Hotwire has 3 1/2 star listed for $40.00 5/22 /5/23 and $33.00 for 5/22 in Heathrow area... thanks, Oceanannie..

oceanannie,

I checked your dates and some other adjacent ones in the Calendar of Wins (center of page above) but there weren't any Heathrow reportings just then. However, if you enter "london heathrow" in the Quick Search box straight above here, you can see lots of bidding result reportings for other dates. It will give you a general idea of what might work and what you might get. Rates are of course date specific, but the airports are not quite as vulnerable to that. Maybe the plane capacity limits the number of people seeking hotel rooms? It seems to get smoothed out a little.

Anyway, you've got lots of time, so you can start low and work up.

Romelle

oceanannie,

I checked your dates and some other adjacent ones in the Calendar of Wins (center of page above) but there weren't any Heathrow reportings just then. However, if you enter "london heathrow" in the Quick Search box straight above here, you can see lots of bidding result reportings for other dates. It will give you a general idea of what might work and what you might get. Rates are of course date specific, but the airports are not quite as vulnerable to that. Maybe the plane capacity limits the number of people seeking hotel rooms? It seems to get smoothed out a little.

Anyway, you've got lots of time, so you can start low and work up.

Romelle

I have been getting the Hilton Heathrow airport recently for $50. 4 star.Twice for a weekend.Still trying for a weeknight in October and up to $58 so will try again tomorrow.

Please provide a follow-up for your prior London thread (post in that thread what you decided for that stay), then reply to this thread and we'll be happy to look into the above.

Allways follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing, even if you chose to book direct, cancell your trip, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

Thereuare, I wanted to say that we have not made any arrangements as yet, I have been following others as they successfully get a good hotel rate thru priceline .. sometimes with the help of the supporters. Orginally, we thought we would like to stay in Central London, but thru research and now having early departure time, we have decided to try for a hotel at the Heatrow airport for the dates of May 22,23 flying out on the early am of the 24th. We are interested in 4 * hotel at rate of around $40.00- 45.00 do you feel like this is a doable option? . Can you offer me some advice as to how to get started. I have been following along with Hotwire prices and saw a 3 1/2 * on their site last week for $40.00.. I tried to pinpoint the hotel with all the helps available, but was unable to come up with a "Suspect" thank you Oceanannie

Thereuare, I wanted to say that we have not made any arrangements as yet, I have been following others as they successfully get a good hotel rate thru priceline .. sometimes with the help of the supporters. Orginally, we thought we would like to stay in Central London, but thru research and now having early departure time, we have decided to try for a hotel at the Heatrow airport for the dates of May 22,23 flying out on the early am of the 24th. We are interested in 4 * hotel at rate of around $40.00- 45.00 do you feel like this is a doable option? . Can you offer me some advice as to how to get started. I have been following along with Hotwire prices and saw a 3 1/2 * on their site last week for $40.00.. I tried to pinpoint the hotel with all the helps available, but was unable to come up with a "Suspect" thank you Oceanannie

If you enter "london heathrow" in the Quick Search box straight above here, you will see a whole bunch of other bidder's reportings (one of them was mine for last fall). Rates are date-specific, but there are a few down near the $40-$45 you mention. The US dollar has gotten weaker against the British pound though, so that will hurt things a little. If you are sure of what you want to do, the easy way to answer your question is to just jump onto Priceline and bid. (Remembering there are almost NO refunds with Priceline.) Try the $40. It most likely won't work, but then you will know for sure. After 24 hours come back with a little higher bid. You can increment even $1 at a time until you get a hit.

If you want some help identifying that Hotwire hotel, you need to supply the date(s) plus the amenities like "Fitness center, Restaurant, Business Center, High-Speed Internet" or whatever is listed for a specific hotel. Click into the specific hotel on "See Details", and then again on "See All" right beside the word Amenities to get the complete list in English. The list I gave seems to be used by Heathrow's Holiday Inn and Sheraton, as described in the Hotwire list of hotel in the first "Other Countries - Hotwire" post.

If you do stay at the airport 2 days, I'd assume you will be headed into town the first day? Train fare looks to be about 5 British pounds each way.

Romelle

oceanannie

Start with posting your Westminister area 5/21 win in this thread so we can close this.

Then continue your HOTWIRE Heathrow question in the thread you allready have started. Link to Heathrow thread

Yellowdog.

PS. I'm not giving you hard time but we need to have some structure in the threads and dates. So please keep all posts in the same thread that is releated to a specific date(s).

oceanannie

Start with posting your Westminister area 5/21 win in this thread so we can close this.

Then continue your HOTWIRE Heathrow question in the thread you allready have started. Link to Heathrow thread

Yellowdog.

PS. I'm not giving you hard time but we need to have some structure in the threads and dates. So please keep all posts in the same thread that is releated to a specific date(s).

Please provide a follow-up for your prior London thread (post in that thread what you decided for that stay), then reply to this thread and we'll be happy to look into the above.

Allways follow-up your threads with whatever you end up doing, even if you chose to book direct, cancell your trip, etc.

Yellowdog.

Yellowdog, We would like to find 4* hotel at Heathrow airport for 5/22/2011 - 5/24/2011 for around $40.00 or so.. our flight home leaves at 10:00 am 5/24/11.. had previously planned to stay in central London, but concerned about getting to airport in time to catch flight. Is there any bidding strategy or advice you can offer to get me started.. what information would I put in to be sure I get airport hotel when bidding on Priceline? Thank you, Oceanannie

In terms of being near Heathrow airport, you would bid within the Heathrow zone on PRICELINE. Do view the map of this area on PRICELINE and be sure that you would be comfortable anywhere within that zone. You can start at $40, but I think that is going to fall short and you may have to work up to $50-60. If $40 is rejected, next bid could be $43, if $43 is rejected $46, etc - up by $3's.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hello

can you give me some pointers for getting best price for 4 * Heathrow area hotel 5/22 5/23 we are staying Westminister area 5/21 I am new to this and appreciate any bidding advice you can offer. Hotwire has 3 1/2 star listed for $40.00 5/22 /5/23 and $33.00 for 5/22 in Heathrow area... thanks, Oceanannie..

Hi Oceanannie, I stay in the hotels around Heathrow fairly often and a lot depends on the dates and the days of the week as weekends are cheaper. I don't think that you would get anything for $40 and checking Hotwire now for your dates they are more expensive than what you found back in March.

You also need to remember that you have to pay taxes on top of the prices you bid which come to approx $17 /night extra. Also once you have bid and do not want that particular hotel you are stuck with it as there are no refunds.

I have been getting the Heathrow Hilton recently, bid $50 but then bid was denied when I tried again for another date. When I went up to $62 I got the Marriott Heathrow/Windsor. The best thing about the Hilton is that it is actually in the airport, terminal 4, so you don't need to use the hoppa bus to get to it. The hoppa bus is $7 return. The Marriott has a carvery opposite for really good food so that is good too.

If you do decide to bid you have one free rebid as Luton airport does not have a 4 star hotel. Do NOT add Gatwick though.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Yellowdog.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]