Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* Boston (Back Bay-Copley Square) Hilton

musicphan
By musicphan,
in

Dates: 10/21 - 10/26 (can also travel 10/14 - 10/19 and have bid on this, too)

I've been bidding on a 3.5* & 4* in Boston for a couple weeks now. Copley or Quincy are the target areas and I've been strategic about about adding the zones which don't have my desired star level when increasing my bid.

NO LUCK up to $130.

I'm hoping you can confirm something I think I'm noticing after looking at proximity of bid to the actual dates of stay. In general, do most people have the most success bidding about 3+/- weeks before their stay? Other than my NYE win, that is the luck I've had with my other bid in Seattle via the link found here and a Hotwire bid before I knew about this board were in the 3-4 week window. My suspicion is that this is generally true (not always) b/c most people book their flights about a month before so as to get the best fare, so the hotels have a general idea of their occupancy 3-4 weeks out, any will release un-reserved rooms to PL and/or Hotwire at better rates to fill up the hotels?

Is my logic at all logical?

If there is something going on during your stay (event, convention, marathon, etc.) then prices could continue to go up towards your stay. They may come down, too, but there's no way to know if they will and if so, how much.

The Fall in Boston and NYC are often particularly expensive, as well. With HOTWIRE rates showing at $189-289 for 3.5/4* properties in the main areas of Boston, unfortunately, $130 is not going to be enough for these dates at current prices. 10/21-26 looks pricey across-the-board when looking at regular rates, as well; there's not 2-3 particularly bad dates causing the problem. 10/14-19 looks a touch better, but unfortunately not by a wide margin.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the replies. I knew the (damn) regatta was going on. Then another one of my friends also pointed out some schools have Parents' Weekend around that time - and BOOM - BU is having theirs that same weekend.

I guess I'll move the trip to 10/14 - 10/19 if I can't get the success I want come a month out. I am obsesses with this trip as I'm taking my 11 yr old niece as her b-day gift, and my other niece will be going to look at colleges. I'm like a kid on Christmas morning with this.

Will post results as soon as I have them.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the info Aaron. It's a relief to know that I'm not going to have to spend $175/night for a decent hotel.

Yes, we're a party of 3. And I know 2 beds aren't guaranteed. Since I am traveling with my nieces (17 & 11), we could make a king work if we had to. But so far I haven't had any trouble getting a double room via PL or Hotwire reservations. When I went to Seattle over Memorial Day weekend I actually had 2 bed for just me when I opted for the room with the better view. And if need be, we can ask for a cot. It will all work out...

Glad to hear you will be able to "make it work" if it comes down to only getting one bed.

PRICELINE is - with some exceptions - less than HOTWIRE, although the level of discount can vary (sometimes it's fairly minor, sometimes it's significant, often in-between) Best of luck with your next round of bidding, and hopefully you'll be successful shortly at the 3.5* or 4* level, and with the 3.5* at $159, I would guess that a 3.5* win isn't too far off.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 1 month later...

I've seen the recent winning bids for 3.5* properties in the Copley area for $107-ish. I have bid up to $130 without success for the above dates. Any thoughts on why I'm not getting a win at the $130 price point? The only thing I can think is that it is the length of the stay? I would have no issue breaking up the stay into 2 bids (even different locations) if I were likely to get a similarly good deal like the others have.

Any in put?

Thanks!

Different dates - even dates right near one another - can result in different (and sometimes considerably so) rates. I'm seeing pretty high rates when searching for these dates all together on HOTWIRE. I thought that this may be a case of a half/half - that part of these dates are busy/expensive and part are not, but when splitting this stay on HOTWIRE, all of the dates appear expensive, with 4*'s around $225-250+.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

From 10/10/2010-10/16/2010 (which includes the first 2 nites of your stay) there is a 20K person convention, which is quite large by Boston standards... not sure what else might be driving up rates for the other nites of your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

This trip seems cursed! I've bid on:

3.5* up to $150 denied

4* up to $180 denied

I can break the trip up as follows:

10-14 to 10-16 and would ideally be Fan Hall/Quincy area for this part of the trip

10-16 to 10-19 Copley OR 10-17 to 10-19 (with the night of the 17th in Portland, ME.

HELP?

I'm starting to get irritated at seeing people get 3.5* for ~$110.

Thanks for any help!!!

This trip seems cursed! I've bid on:

3.5* up to $150 denied

4* up to $180 denied

I assume this was for the complete stay?
I'm starting to get irritated at seeing people get 3.5* for ~$110.
Supply vs. Demand... different rates for different dates :)

Could you head to Portland for the first TWO nites of this stay and then Boston for the balance?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm def. breaking up the stay now. Unfortunately, 2 nights in Portland aren't an option as we have a lot to do in Boston - including college tours. I've accepted that there isn't much supply, so it's going to demand a lot more of my wallet!

Going to consider 3* now, too.

In my ideal world, I'd spend 10/14 & 10/15 in Quincy Market area, 10/16 in Portland, 10/17 & 10/18 in Copley. I think this is going to work out...eventually.

Thanks for all the advice.

Have you looked at some of the outer areas (listed on the PRICELINE screen just under the map)? Some of them aren't really that far out, and are connected to the greater Boston public transport system. Braintree is an example.

And if you will be having a car, sometimes the airport hotels can be a really good value.

Romelle

If you do start bidding some of these optional areas, do recheck the probably rates so you don't overbid.

Finally gave up and booked a hotel through HOTWIRE which I'll post soon.

Please post the details of the win as a reply to this thread and we'll take care of editing the topic title and move the entire thread to the HOTWIRE section of the board.

Glad you found something that works for your needs.

In this instance, changing hotels really is inconsequential b/c we're spending Saturday night in Portland, ME. So ultimately, I'd be checking out of one hotel anyway.

Amenities for the Hilton are:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-speed Internet Access

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]