Priceline Hotel: Help with NYC - 4 Dec 2010 4 nights

Bern
By Bern,
in

Hi Looking to stay in the New Yorker on December 4 - I've checked Hotwire for the dates and nothing is showing up - however I see someone on another thread has seen 189.00 USD for 14-16 November. Could anyone tell me - would Hotwire dates for the New Yorker show up nearer the time? I am happy to have a go at Priceline - but would really love the New Yorker so may just Hotwire it if were to be available. (Just asking for a general rule, I know you can't definitively know the answer...)

Rates differ for different dates; 12/4-8 are unfortunately a significantly busy set of dates, as this is the prime period for holiday shopping and holiday festivities. Additionally, there is no way to guarantee a particular property: there's no way to ensure a particular property when bidding, and in terms of HOTWIRE, this property comes up with the same amenity set as another.

What would be your desired budget per night? Additionally, which zones are you interested in staying within?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 weeks later...

Well - I started bidding last night with no success so far. However, I didn't have a strategy as such!

I started with a bid of $176 for 4* deluxe in Downtown - SoHo (it was top deal or similar) - no luck.

Added CPS (saw the deal for the Loews Regency last week!) - no luck

further added MSG - and went up to $179- no luck.

I appreciate I'm going to have to raise my bids.

I'm happy to stay in either downtown - SoHo -financial, or MSG - or CPS and have added Chelsea as it looks nice! I think that's my order of preference. Would prefer a 4* if poss. What sort of rates should I be looking to pay (I'm thinking it's going to be around 220$?)

I'm guessing you're looking at $200-$240 for a 4* which would most likely land you in the Downtown zone.

You don't appear to be using your re-bid zones, are you familiar with re-bidding? (see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, but if you're new to the concept it's highly recommended you confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding)

How high are you willing to bid at this time?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm guessing you're looking at $200-$240 for a 4* which would most likely land you in the Downtown zone.

You don't appear to be using your re-bid zones, are you familiar with re-bidding? (see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, but if you're new to the concept it's highly recommended you confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding)

How high are you willing to bid at this time?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I'm not too worried about getting somewhere at the moment - quite happy to wait for another week or so.... as would prefer (obviously) to be closer to 200$ than 250$. Was thinking a plan would be to go around 180$ - 200$ for SoHo area (there's a best deal in that area) for a 4* - and then (I think) I could rebid on long island (as there are no 4* there...) ...is that correct? Would also then add CPS ....

• 2 weeks later...

bbolton01,

Please follow-up your previous Priceline NYC thread with whatever you ended up doing for that stay and use the requested PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your future bidding and travel purchases.

Bern,

The bidding strategy you're using isn't sound as in your last bidding attempt you risk overbidding in the CPS since you and that 'live' zone at the end of your bidding cycle. However, rates appear to have increased since my last post and, at the moment, i'm less optimistic about your success in the low $200's... even at the 3.5* level.

Back to your bidding, is there a reason you're not trying all the zones within Manhattan which are acceptable to you?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for reply. I think I'd prefer Downtown or MGS (the CPS was just on the back of someone getting a good deal at Loews for same dates!). I saw someone had hotwired Embassy Suites for 212$ for these dates as well, been tracking hotwire and can't see prices anything like that (and couldn't at the time!).

Will make a concerted effort in next week to get something booked. My criteria - at least 3.5* Downtown or MSG and as near to 200 as poss - up to 240$ tops!

bbolton - will check your thread - thanks!

I think I'd prefer Downtown or MGS...

Have you been to NYC before, as these zones aren't really that close in proximity to each other and Downtown is not typically the first choice of a visitor to the city (usually acceptable based upon price/value relative to midtown offerings).

Seasonally, this is usually one of the most expensive date ranges in the city, so if you're looking for the best deal possible i'd recommend including other zones which may be acceptable.

thanks - I have been before and stayed in MSG - am going this time with my husband who has never been and isn't really (if I'm honest!) looking forward to it. Our daughter staying in SoHo and thought that would suit her dad better than the bright lights of, say Times Square! So, yes, the areas are a bit random, but for the reasons outlined earlier (good successful bids by others).

If you're not adverse to staying in two different hotels, you might try splitting the weekend and weekday portions of your trip. I'm staying in NY from Nov27 - Dec 4 and wasn't getting anywhere on PL with one bid for the entire stay. Once I split up the trip into a weekend and a weekday bid, I had a much easier time getting the bids accepted. Good luck.

If you're not adverse to staying in two different hotels, you might try splitting the weekend and weekday portions of your trip. I'm staying in NY from Nov27 - Dec 4 and wasn't getting anywhere on PL with one bid for the entire stay. Once I split up the trip into a weekend and a weekday bid, I had a much easier time getting the bids accepted. Good luck.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

It would be greatly appreciated if you could share your win/s with the board. Thanks.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

thanks for that - sounds like a plan! I suppose I could start with downtown and break him in gently to the noise and lights!!

Will try that later today - any strategy help gratefully received!

ruthieee,

If you'd like help with your own stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Bern,

My criteria - at least 3.5* Downtown or MSG and as near to 200 as poss - up to 240$ tops!
To confirm, these are the only two zones you want to include in your current bidding strategy? I read your reply about staying out of Times Square, but what about ESB, MTE, Chelsea, etc?

Have you only bid the 4* level thus far? Was $215 your maximum bid? Did you want to try for a 4* up to you $240 for your complete stay first OR would you hope for a lower price and SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID? If 4* for your complete stay is turned down do you prefer to split your stay at a 4* or try for a the complete stay at a 3.5*?

Thanks for response. I've only bid 4* so far. max was indeed 215. Husband would prefer not to split - "too much faffing" ... :)

So - I'd like Downtown Soho, Chelsea, or MSG or ESB (think MTE is too close to Times Square)!

Would go down to 3.5* - one stay, no splitting - up to 240$

thanks in advance.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]