Hotwire Hotel: Good location for Zoo and Wild Animal Park

michiganmom
By michiganmom,
in

We will be taking a short 2 night, 2 1/2 day trip to San Diego to visit both the Zoo and the Wild Animal Park with a 10 year old.

Is this possible to do at a reasonabily sane pace?

Dates are 3/31-4/2

I thought visit Zoo 4/1 and Wild Animal Park 4/2 and then leave for Vegas. Where would be a good hotwire location to stay?

With a 10 year old, yes, you'll be able to do it. Both attractions require alot of walking, but they both have trams/trains to help get you around. A 10 year old should have no problem keeping up.

The Wild Animal Park has a on-line promo right now: buy adult tickets for the child's price. "Offer applies to on-line/print-at-home Wild Animal Park tickets only. Valid through May 22, 2005." Saves $11 per adult ticket. Check it out on SanDiegoZoo.com.

The Zoo is close to Old Town and Mission Valley. The Wild Animal Park is close to Escondido and Rancho Bernardo. If you're going to Vegas by car, you might want to think about one night (4/1) in San Diego close to the Zoo, then the next night (4/2) closer to the Wild Animal Park. You can hit the 15 Freeway North the next morning and head straight up to Vegas from there.

Good luck and have fun!

I see it when you put in 2 adults only (3 1/2* $89 Best Value, right?), but when you put in 2 adults/1 child, it disappears and the 3 1/2* shown is a Suite for $93 (this has the same icons, per the HOTWIRE list, as the Radisson Suites- maybe it's been upgraded to a 3 1/2*?).

Is this what you're looking at?

When Hotwire changed their search feature to include the number of children, I called them to verify that this would mean that the hotel would provide bedding accordingly. I had been looking at the Holiday Inn on the Bay, which came up with "two adults", but disappeared when a child was added. I was told that it was for hotels that wanted adults only. I would guess that these hotels must give Hotwire inventory that will only accomodate two.

It's also a case of hotels likley having to have to 'opt-in' to the more than double occupancy... and some just have not "gotten around to it".

The Resort property is most likely the Rancho Bernardo Inn.

No positive id on the 3.5* suite property, but i'd agree with aldo that the best guess is that the Radisson has been upgraded to a 3.5* (as the amenties listed are not all that common in that combination... but anything is possible).

Even if it isn't the Radisson, you'd be assured of enough bedding to accomodate the three of you and also have the slightly extra room that an all suite hotel room provides.

Let us know what you decide to do. If you go with either please use this HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Aldo gave you great advice. It's a long way back to San Diego from the Wild Animal Park just to turn around and drive right back up the same freeway the next day.

For whatever my opinion is worth, we prefer the Radisson Suites to the Rancho Bernardo Inn. We felt the Inn was a little bit stuffy, lots of older patrons and an old world country club feel. The Suites are a small property but the hotel encircles a pool with beautiful flowers and it's a very relaxed feel. We have also stayed at the 3 star with food, pool, weights that may come up in north county. That is the 4 points by Sheraton, also a nice relaxed property with a big pool. It's a very nice 3 star.

There are very few hotels that come up in Old Town, close to the zoo, but Mission Valley is only a 5 minute drive, as is downtown.

Good luck!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]