Priceline Hotel: 4* Montreal (Convention Center - Old Montreal - Latin Quarter) Le Westin Montreal

lynn24
By lynn24,
in

Hi everyone! This is the first time I've ever been to the forum and I stumbled upon this forum because I was looking to book a hotel in downtown Montreal between Sept 2 to Sept 6 and I noticed Hotwire's 4* price was CHEAPER than the 3* (thats apparently more like a 2*).

However, I'm concerned about the location because my visit to Montreal is limited by public transit and I needed a hotel that is accesible on a daily basis. I also want to complete a reliable booking. I've checked out the list of hotels but I'm having difficulty deciphering the hotel since a lot of the amenities are similar. This is the booking information:

Star rating: 4-star

Check-in date: Thu, Sep 2

Check-out date: Mon, Sep 6

Amenities: Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Centre, High-speed Internet Access

Price summary

Hotel rate per night: $116.00

Nights: 4

Rooms: 1

Subtotal: $464.00

Tax recovery charges

& fees: $96.99

Total price: $560.99

Prices are in U.S. dollars.

If someone could get back to me ASAP I'd appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The Hilton, Hyatt, Omni and Intercontinental have all been reported with this amenity set, so any of those four could be a possibility. With no tripadvisor rating showing on the detail page, it's difficult to begin to narrow down which this could be.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I posted on the Hotwire forum yesterday and closed the thread (I found their prices were still a little too steep for my budget). It's actually kind of funny because I noticed someone a couple posts below me looking for very similar dates! First of all, my booking dates are Sept 2/10 - Sept 6/10 and I'm looking to book in Downtown Montreal.

Last night in the evening, I had my first attempt at bidding. I tried bidding $85 for 4*, rejected. Then I added 3.5* and bidded $90, rejected.

The listed median price dropped a few $$ today so I was thinking of trying to bid $86 or $91 tonight when I'm allowed to re-bid... Any thoughts? I looked at some past bids and I want to ideally spend less than $100 per night and prefer to spend around $90 if it is possible for that weekend.

I was wondering if anyone had additional suggestions for a bidding strategy... thanks!

Please keep all posts in the same thread since posts are for the same dates. We will edit and move your thread in the end.

You're bidding backwards. You shouldn't bid higher for a 3.5* than a 4* when you start bidding. Please read this link: If you lower your star rating then lower your price

The median price is nothing you should look at. It's very far from from the reality most of the times.

You need to wait 24 hours if you have used all your free zones. Do you know how to use your free zones?

I was wondering if anyone had additional suggestions for a bidding strategy... thanks!

Please post your max budget/night before tax/fee for a 4* vs 3.5*

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Yellowdog.

Can I get the Hotwire portion deleted? I'm no longer purchasing from Hotwire...

I only bidded slightly more for a 3.5* hotel because based on the information I found, there was only one 3.5* rated hotel in the downtown montreal area and it was a very nice hotel retail going for the same if not more than the 4* hotels and I figured it would give me a chance to re-bid for the 4* hotels at a slightly higher price. Also, I'm from Ontario and it's the long-weekend that week and I reasoned prices might be slightly higher due to the influx of people taking a last-minute vacation prior to the end of the summer... Also, the winning bids I saw from looking through a few pages of priceline threads were higher than my initial bid.

Is there a significant difference between 3.5* and 4*? From what I've kind-of seen through a few days of reseaching prices/looking at reviews on tripadvisor, some 3.5* seem more expensive, nicer and have better reviews than 4*!

Ultimately my goal is to spend less than $100/night on a hotel room in Downtown Montreal, but I was really hoping to spend more in the neighbourhood of $90.

I only just changed the star rating because I wasn't sure how to use the free zones and was too scared that I'd get stuck with an unlisted hotel in an unfeasible location...

ALSO, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the line of logic I used for upping the bid. If an $85 bid for a 4* got rejected, if I add 3.5* and keep the price same or lower, am I not completely nullifying and chance of getting a 4* hotel because the 4* already rejected the initial bid that will be higher than the second bid? That was also the rationale for bidding slightly higher for me, since I could only find one 3.5* hotel in the area and it was already nicer than some of the 4*, I thought a SLIGHTLY increased bid put me in better shape with all the listed hotels? I tried to read some of that thread but I got a little lost...

EDIT: I just went back on Hotwire and I noticed an identical 4* listing to that I was looking for yesterday for $99... Is it worth it or can I still get something cheaper on Priceline? I'd very ideally want the hotel to be a nice hotel and have it conveniently near the subway line...

I only just changed the star rating because I wasn't sure how to use the free zones and was too scared that I'd get stuck with an unlisted hotel in an unfeasible location...
Before bidding again why not learn how to determine your re-bid zones and confirm them just before bidding :)

At the 4* level you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

If the link above is still confusing try this:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter Montreal and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest tar rating offered n the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

ALSO, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the line of logic I used for upping the bid. If an $85 bid for a 4* got rejected, if I add 3.5* and keep the price same or lower, am I not completely nullifying and chance of getting a 4* hotel because the 4* already rejected the initial bid that will be higher than the second bid?
If you make the bid back-to-back your chances of receiving a 4* would be almost nil... there is always a chance that a 4* hotel added low(er) priced inventory into the system just after your 4* bid was rejected.
We'll see how tomorrow goes.. any suggestions for tomorrow's bidding?
Let's see if you can get the re-bidding zones and if you're comfortable using them... then we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi, maybe I'm just a little insecure with selecting a random area, but if I select Laval, Longueuil or Pointe Claire I am guarenteed NOT to get a hotel in either location since none of them offer 4* or 3.5*... correct?

If this is correct (so basically it's like 3 free rebids), how shall I proceed now? What kind of strategy should I be using? Thanks so far!

Yes, you have your re-bid zones correct... just double check them before each bidding cycle to make sure that nothing has changed.

I believe your current parameters are for a 4* Downtown hotel with a $100 bidding limit. If so:

Using your THREE re-bid zones you can try as follows...

Select 4* Montreal Downtown...

Bid $85 add re-bid zone...

Bid $90 add re-bid zone...

Bid $95 add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I reached a bid of $100 on priceline, no luck...

for the hotwire hotel, its updated with 75% (3.5/5) hotwire recommended reviews (500+) and a 3/5 on TA... if someone could help me identify this hotel that'd be great! I personally narrowed it down to Holiday Inn Montreal Midtown.

What do you guys think? is it really a 3.5* hotel? Is it worth it?

My guess would also be the HI Midtown. This appears to be an older HI and reviews are mixed - whether or not it will work depends on price, location and what you are looking for - it may be okay as just a place to sleep if you're going to be out most of the day. What have you tried bidding up to on PRICELINE?

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi Lynn,

Please keep us updated on your luck with your bids. I am in Montreal the follwoing week and I too am looking at a 4 star downtown. So far have only bid up to 87 us dollars, and all zones were rejected. I think we both have some time yet to get a downtown room for under 100 dollars, so keep trying and again keep us updated.

Last, not sure if you say this post by Jerry: "Monday 9/6 ~ Tuesday 9/7

Bid up to $85 for 4* and rejected. $85 for 3.5* - rejected

$90 for 4* rejected. $95 acceptted.

He got the Hyatt for 95 and that is a very nice place/deal. Mall is attached and very much to do within walking. Parking is expensive and I suspect they charge for wi-fi?

Tetz

I think it's just that particular weekend that the prices are higher, but I think today I bidded

$85 rejected, added rebid zone

$88 rejected, added rebid zone

$92 rejected, added rebid zone

$98 rejected... and I know I was told not to do this but I added 3.5* and tried $100 (sorry guys, I just couldn't resist) and... rejected.

I saw a hotwire 4* last week going for $99 before someone snapped it up and I got a chance to buy it, I think it was the omni =(

I really don't want to break $100... do prices ever change? that 75% recommended, 3/5 TA I think is the HI midtown as well.. it does have very mixed rating and the price is now $59! I have a feeling that at that rate they'll give me a smoking room and I absolutely do NOT want a smoking room... I'm looking for something with a good price with a clean, secure room in a not-so-obscure area! (anyone have any personal thoughts on that hotel?)

Thanks so far guys... what do you guys think I should do? I don't travel to Montreal too often so I don't mind paying a little more to get a decent hotel room, but I'm not sure exactly how high I'm going to have to go...

(if I end up buying the $59 3.5* that is likely HI midtown, what is the likelihood of getting a non-smoking room? I ABSOLUTELY cannot be in a smoking room because I do have some mild respiratory difficulties)

What are the amenities associated with the HOTWIRE property?

There is no way to assure a non-smoking room unless the Smoke Free icon is shown to be associated with the hotel you're being offered.

I think I mispoke. I think you were right with the hotel ID. Another member got that hotel for 55 per night which looks like a great deal. It is currently listed at 89 bucks per night for my time period, so I am going to watch it and see if it drops for me as the dates get closer.

GL

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]