Priceline Hotel: 3.5* Somerset-Brunswick (Clark-Westfield) Crowne Plaza

kevin347
By kevin347,
in

I am planning a trip to NY.

Travel Dates and needs : I need 1 Room check in 9/4 - checkout 9/6.

I need to travel to NY city for those 2 days. I am thinking about staying in Meadowlands - Rutherford or Secaucus - North Bergen area so that way I am not too far away from NY city and can pay less :). I am hoping these area hotels don't charge extra for parking.

My budget is max 55$ per night. Is it possible to get 3 or 3.5 star hotel in that budget in those areas? I saw few bids got accepted in Rutherford area at 55$ but not sure if it's pretty rare or what.

Looking at the map in Priceline mostly all surrounding areas of my interest have 3 & 3.5 star hotel, what bidding strategy is advised to get a dummy zone for free rebid?

If it's not possible to get the hotels in this budget I am willing to go to southern jersey (edison/brunswick area), is it possible to get hotel in that area in this budget?

TIA

You can try, but i don't think that $55 will be enough for a 3* or better hotel for these dates. Before suggesting a strategy to follow a few questions:

1) Are you willing to pay more for a 3.5* vs. a 3* or is your goal the least expensive 3* or better for this stay?

2) If you fail in the Meadowlands area, why edison/brunswick? There would likely be closer to places to commute from then central jersey. How do you intend to commute to NYC... via mass transit? If so, would you be willing/able to drive to a Park N Ride and commute from there? (or will you be drinking while in the city and don't want to drive your car upon the return?)

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

1) Yes my goal is least expensive. Although I noticed that there is a bonus offer from priceline which adds 10$ on top of my bid so technically I have 10$ buffer.

2) Yes you are correct, I am ok with any other areas in central jersey. I just said edision/brunswick area because I saw some low bids got accepted for 3 to 3.5 star hotels there. We are 4 people travelling and right now I am inclined towards driving into NYC in my own car. It would be ideal if the location is close to public transportation just incase I opt for public transportation.

Thanks for your help.

We are 4 people travelling...

This raises one more aspect... PRICELINE only guarnatees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel. You could receive a room with only one bed and the hotel may be unable, or unwilling, to accommodate your request for a room with two beds (or there could be an additional charge involved). Is this a risk you're willing to accept?

Lastly, are you fine with both the Meadowlands-Rutherford zone as well as the Secaucus-North Bergen zone? With no re-bid zones at the 3* level you could then use the combined zones in order to gain an additional bid.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would try as follows:

Select 3* Secaucus-North Bergen...

Bid $50, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Meadowlands-Ruterford...

Bid $50, if rejected add Secaucus-North Bergen...

Bid $55

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I see your point. Although I am driving up to NY on saturday early morning and directly going to NY city. I will go to the hotel at night. I am not sure how messed up the traffic could be on the way back at night. Next day (sunday) planning to get to the city early in the morning around 9. How high do you think I will have to go to get hotel in Rutherford area?

For a 3*... i'd guess about $80-$90.

While i don't typically suggest the Airport EWR zone as a 'pseudo NYC' stay, if you have a car and intend to drive into the city, it can be done. However, you may also want to bid the Elizabeth zone as it would add maybe 5 minutes to your commute but the hotels are a bit newer and often better reviewed.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly..

I was not getting anything in my price range for those areas in 3* hotels. I went ahead and tried the Clark - Westfield area for 3.5*. Started the bidding at 37$(47$ after priceline's 10$ bonus cash). It was accepted for 41$(51$ after bonus cash) and got the Crowne Plaza Clark. With taxes it came to $105.7 for 2 nights.

a very nice deal indeed. You should not have a problem getting a room with two doubles or queens.

for an inexpensive lunch or dinner, take the Garden State Parkway north to Rt. 22 east, and about a quarter mile on the opposite side of the highway you will see a sign for "Rt. 22 BBQ" in a tiny strip of stores. Tto get there, you'll have to drive east on 22 and make a u-turn about a mile down the road. This is a Portuguese BBQ that makes a grilled chicken sandwich and fries for about $8, enough for two. Its a whole chicken breast that is grilled over hardwood coals that instantly turns the dripping fat into smoke that gives the chicken a great flavor. Its served on a crusty Portuguese roll with lettuce and tomato, ask them to skip the cheese as its unnecessary. They make other grilled items, but I can't get past this sandie. By the way, this Rt. 22 is the way to get to Manhattan, you can pick up Rts. 1&9 north and it will take you to the Holland Tunnel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]