Priceline Hotel: Maui Resort Hotel Christmas Week

Counselor4444
By Counselor4444,
in

Hi all,

I've had a lot of success on this board and now my sister is interested in using PRICELINE to bid on a hotel in Maui. She and her husband got married a few months ago but due to employment issues they could not take a honeymoon. They are now trying to go during the only week they can take off from work- 12/25-1/1. This is not ideal as it is very expensive to go then. They have enlisted my help in trying to figure out what a Resort level hotel on Ka'anapali beach may be on PRICELINE during this week. Any thoughts here? We're trying to come up with a realistic expectation with what it may cost. The Sheraton and Hyatt in Ka'anapali are listed through conventional means as over $400/nt. Thanks.

Frankly, I would have no idea, as the dates have not been reported and they are unlike any other dates during the year, But if it were me, I would simply start my bidding at something like $160-175, which are the rates that the Hyatt and Sheraton normally come up at, and work my way up. You've got plenty of time, you might as well use it - you can bid again for the same zones and dates after waiting at least one day after a failed bid. Assuming that you only want Kaanapaali, not Wailea, and only want to consider a resort property, I would start at $160, add the free rebid zone of Kahului and up the bid $5. Then add the free rebid zone of Kihei and up the bid $5 more. After that fails, wait a day, and start at $175 and do the same thing again. If that fails, wait a day, start at $190 and do the same thing again. Keep trying this until you reach the maximum you would be willing to spend (I assume it's probably somewhere in the $250-300 range, which, BTW I think there's a good chance you'll win in that range). But it might be a good idea not to go above $250 or so for the next month or two because there's a good chance that those resorts won't put ANY Priceline inventory out there for those dates until 2-3 months before hand, because they would obviously prefer to sell the rooms for $400+, and that's possibly the only week of the year that they actually have a chance to sell out at those rates. However, if they are not close to selling out those dates by October, they will probably release more Priceline cut-price rooms.

Also, if that's beyond their budgets, there are also some good 3-3.5* resort properties on Kaanapaali as well, but the bidding strategy is different because Kihei is no longer a free-rebid zone if 3 and 3.5* properties are being considered.

Thanks. I think they are primarily interested in Ka'anapali and they are still considering which hotels they are interested in. It does not look like hotwire has any four star inventory for Ka'anapali right now so I guess you are right that they need to wait until at least September or October to work on priceline. I'm also going to suggest that they book a cancelable room in case priceline does not work out.

As you're finding this is a very expensive time in Hawaii... not only is it peak season, but families with school aged children getting away on their winter holiday, as well as New Year's Eve. I wouldn't panic just yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is no opaque inventory for these dates, or any discount is not very much, as many hotels will likely feel that they can sell rooms on their own.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

They may have their hearts set on Ka'anapali, but if budget is a concern I have had very good luck and very reasonable rates bidding in the Wailea zone for resorts. I have only received the Wailea Marriott (3 times!), though some receive the Makena Golf Resort (formerly the Maui Prince).

WM is a great family resort, with a much loved Maluhia (SERENITY!) pool for the adults. I've paid $95-125 for the property in off-peak times. I would suspect it could potentially be grabbed for between $175-250 for Christmas.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]