Seeking London Air Advice (May 20)

KaphaBear
By KaphaBear,
in

Can you drive the 5 hours to Chicago O'Hare? You might (but not necessarily) could save hundreds of dollars. For individual travel, the drive may be less "worthwhile" than if you were going as a group.

European airfares are very strange beasts these days. Off season, they're relatively cheap (at least before the nasty taxes!). In season, you practically need to mortgage your house to buy one. May is a shoulder season, so it could go either way based on demand. You need to watch prices like a hawk -- I'd check every morning. You should probably make a decision in the next few weeks -- after mid-april, it's unlikely the deals will get better.

I found a very cheap August airfare to Europe by watching the Mileage Run forum at Flyertalk.com. I've found some reasonable to very good ones on my own in the past, but sometimes some near-miraculous ones are reported at Flyertalk.

Failing that, I'd set up a search in ITASoftware.com like this:

Choose the Specific Dates tab.

From: CID or any airport within 300 miles (I'm just guessing you want CID, but with this broad search it won't matter).

To: LON or any airport within 300 miles (on the off-chance there's a really cheap airfare to a destination other than London)

Set the dates up to cover what you stated.

Not that you want to travel 300 miles either way, but if you see something exceptional you will at least know about it.

Then you can get an idea if any dates or combinations are particularly favorable.

If you have more flexibility, set up a Month-long search.

Enter the airports like this:

for the departure airport

CID; DBQ; DSM; ORD; MSP

for the arrival airport

LON; CDG; BRU; GLA; MAN

If you find something great on ITASoftware.com try to duplicate it on other sites. Orbitz, Mobissimo, Kayak, Travelocity, and Expedia are good places to start. It's not always possible, but I think this may have gotten better.

Consider a Priceline air/hotel package if it fits into your plans. Some, but not all, are reasonably good value.

Look at Site59.com .

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]