Hotwire Hotel: New to priceline need help

michael1978
By michael1978,
in

I am looking to book a 2.5-3 star for $150/n from 10/1-10-3 for my 5th anniversary. I have tried so far but my bids for both at that rate were not taken. Does anyone have any ideas or techniques that I'm not trying? Is $150 a reasonable bid for downtown historic district 2.5-3 star for that time frame?

Any help would be much appreciated from this rookie!

MP

Rates are still fairly high, and i think it was mentioned in another thread that this area (iirc) is seeing an increase in demand as it may be used as an alternative destination to avoid the Gulf and the oil spill issues they're having down there.

With this noted, $150 would at the very least be worth a shot... did you want to try for a 3* up to your budget first and then, if rejected, try the 2.5* level... OR is your goal the least expensive 2.5* or better for this stay?

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks again for the help. I guess my preference would be go for the 2.5 star to keep the cost down a bit. I really don't have a problem with any of the hotels in the priceline historic Charleston area with the exception of the days inn. So do you think 10/1-10/3 is out of the question for a $150 bid on 2.5 star? I'm assuming from your reply you would go with the next weekend (10/8) instead? Do you know what hotels priceline has that are in the 2.5 star range in the historic district charleston area?

We stayed at the Hampton last time and really enjoyed that. Not sure what the rating is on priceline of that hotel?

I think my concern is that this is for an anniversary stay, and I would like to see you get more hotel for the money: in terms of picking Charleston as a destination, are you picking because it is close by? I'm just wondering if there are other possible destinations where you could get more for your money in terms of hotel instead of spending $125-150+ (and that's discounted rates) for a 2.5*.

The list of PRICELINE properties in Charleston that have been reported to the board are available in the Priceline Hotel List.

Please use the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I think my concern is that this is for an anniversary stay, and I would like to see you get more hotel for the money: in terms of picking Charleston as a destination, are you picking because it is close by? I'm just wondering if there are other possible destinations where you could get more for your money in terms of hotel instead of spending $125-150+ (and that's discounted rates) for a 2.5*.

I agree... are you sold/committed to the Charleston location? Are you local to this area or where you are you traveling from?

If it has to be Charleston then by all means we'll move forward with this area, but given the high cost of even budget rated hotels, i wonder if there is anything else an alternate location which might still suit your needs for this trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We live in Atlanta. Looking to drive somewhere close that we like. I went to the College of Charleston so my heart is kind of there. But I understand what you are saying. The only other place I would like to go would be Austin, TX but I think that would cost me more because of the flights. I guess I will just need to up my budget here to get a decent 2.5-3 star hotel in downtown..I guess I could also stay outside of downtown to get a better price but that isn't ideal for us. If I can spend $175-180/n do you think I need to bid on a 2.5 or 3 star? Do you think I could get one for the weekend of 10/1-10/3 for that price? If you know of other southeastern locations near Atlanta that are good travel spots please suggest. Thanks!!

If I can spend $175-180/n do you think I need to bid on a 2.5 or 3 star?

You might have a chance at the 3* for that bid amount... do you want to first try that for a 3*? Any other zone(s) acceptable besides Downtown?

I would be open to the courtyard riverview/downtown which is a 3 star...the problem is that is the only one in that category that I would be happy with. I really don't want to stay at the holiday inn which is the only other one in that category. I guess I'll start with a 175 bid for downtown 3 star and go from there. If you have any strategies to get the courtyard riverview in my price range please let me know. I will be using your links to priceline. I really appreciate the time you've spent to help me.

I'll note that Savannah and Hilton Head look quite a bit cheaper for these dates than Charleston. Not only would the rates be lower, but you'd get a higher star rating. You could get a 4* on HOTWIRE in Hilton Head for $89 for these dates, and around $124 for a 4* in the Historic District of Savannah. The prices you see may vary slightly.

Just thought I'd throw out these two options.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I would be open to the courtyard riverview/downtown which is a 3 star...the problem is that is the only one in that category that I would be happy with. I really don't want to stay at the holiday inn which is the only other one in that category

Unfortunately there is no way to target, or avoid, a specific hotel when using PRICELINE. However, since there is a hotel you don't want to stay at in the zone, i would caution if moving forward with PRICELINE. While $175 is a lot of money for a hotel room, it's even more costly if you get a hotel you don't want :) You could book the Courtyard for $219/nite (10/1-10/3) which while more than $175, would probably be a better value then if you bid on PRICELINE and landed a hotel you didn't want.

I also just found Travelocity has the Wild Dunes for $199/nite if that is of any interest and would work well for your plans... not much more than the $175 you're looking for a 3* and would be higher rated.

Then again, maybe Hilton Head or Savannah seem appealing to you for the price?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Travelocity link if you go that route)

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

I am so new to Hotwire and Priceline, that I'm not one to give advice, but I did want to share that I got the Wild Dunes last year at this same time (end of September/first of October) for $90 per night, I think, using the PRICELINE links on this forum. The place was beautiful and it took close to 30 minutes to get downtown from there. I also got the Mills House downtown, using Hotwire that time (I think), at a steal of a price, but it was for a Thursday night stay and we were given two double beds (not ideal for an anniversary trip!).

If I remember correctly, I also booked closer to our travel dates. Hope this helps!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]