Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark (Jersey City) Courtyard by Marriott

q_tilly
By q_tilly,
in

I've been bidding these dates for the last few weeks and have been rejected up to $130. I had been hoping to get the Hilton New York and thought I might be getting close to the date window when availability shows up there. Others have won for $110 when rates have been $279 (king). Unfortunately, rates for the dates of my stay have just been bumped up from $279 to $299, so a win there might not be possible. We live just outside of the city and don't have to stay, but it would be a nice weekend. I might add 4* SOHO to the mix (probably just extra rebids at the prices there) and raise the overall bidding limit to $140.

I doubt these are possible at current rates, but I might try them closer to May. 2* MTS with the hope of winning the Murray Hill East, but I'd only go to $90 and rates are already at $219. 3* UMT-CPS at up to $100-125 to perhaps get the Park Central, but 5/13 is currently $199 and 5/14 is $269.

Bidding for a bargain stay is nearly as enjoyable as the stay itself. :)

We're going to add Jersey City to the mix. Hyatt.com rates of $199 for 5/13 and $239 for 5/14. What do you recommend for a bid? If I have to split the bid, do you think there's an issue with winning a one night Saturday only stay?

Thanks in advance for your help! :-)

Let's not split the bid just yet....

For your complete stay, select 3* Jersey City

Bid $46, if rejected wait 72 hours...

Bid $48, if rejected wait 72 hours...

Bid $55.

If you're more concerned about 'getting this done' you could also:

Bid $46, if rejected lower to 2.5* and bid $48

(this open the possibility of the Courtyard by Marriott, which also has good PATH access.... the chances of the Marriott accepting are extremely low as we haven't seen them accept at a price this low before, but you never know who will be the first to report a new low bid acceptance for a hotel... same applies for the 3* Doubletree)

If the $48 is rejected wait 72 hours and bid $55.

Any questions on the above feel free to ask.

Please keep us updated as to your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried again this morning for Jersey City. 3* - $48, rejected. Added 2.5*, $55, rejected. That Saturday night seems to be the issue, as it's priced higher than Friday. I'll just wait and use the same strategy again after the lockout is over. I'd rather not bail out and head over to Hotwire until much closer to my dates.

this is flaky, but using Hotwire for the two days, (5/13-5/15) the rate was $77 for a 3.5* (Best Value, pool, restaurant, business center) in Hoboken which has been previously ID'ed as the Hyatt......for just saturday nite alone, the rate is $194 :) Friday night alone is $75. :)

I'd rather not bail out and head over to Hotwire until much closer to my dates

I'm not 100% certain i agree with this. Yes, it's true that HOTWIRE will cost you a bit more, but given the rate differences (and the 'anomoly' dahammer pointed out above... which we've seen before with Hotwire) there is a chance that the HOTWIRE offering is no longer available when you decide you'd like to go that route... and we're not exactly talking about a zone where there are many other similarly priced options within the immediate area should the 3.5* inventory be pulled. If you end up with hotwire please use the links within this post.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Amazing. I decide to pull the trigger and go with Hotwire. $76/night. I get all the way through to the end, then get a message that my itinerary is no longer available. When I go back to Hotwire, it's $240/night. Go figure...

Just checked 5/13-5/16 and it's in the $70's. 5/14 alone is still $194, 5/13 alone is in the $70's. This is strange.

The 'old/low' price may have been stuck in your cache from an earlier search (when it was available) and the low-cost room was either purchased or pulled from inventory since then. Given the info that dahammer provided i suspected that the this rate could potentially disappear as i had mentioned above.

Are your plans flexible enough that you could add a day to your trip?

We have seen this before with HOTWIRE (at this hotel and others)... often it's indicative of demand beginning to firm and the hotel deciding that they can be 'choosey' enough to only want accomodations from guests staying more than one nite.

Still trying with no luck. Tried 4* bids in NYC up to $130. The NY Hilton is up over $300 for these nights, so it's unlikely that any bid up to $150 would be accepted, imo. Also tried 2* in MTS, MTE and UMT-CPS unsuccessfully at up to $120. Bid 3* Jersey City at $65, which also failed. The Doubletree Jersey City has a rate of $139 ($144 w/breakfast), so I'm going to book that as a backup and keep trying PL in case something becomes available. I'll probably try 3* @ $70 next bid.

• 2 weeks later...

The Doubletree raised their rates for my dates. The Hyatt hasn't dropped their opaque rates yet. I figured it's time to get this done. Failed 3* at $60. Accepted 2.5* at $70. I've noticed consistent winning bids at this Courtyard at 50% of the rate at Marriott.com ($139 weekend), so I expected to win this. Right next to the PATH station for easy access to NY.

Courtyard By Marriott Jersey City Newport

540 Washington Blvd

Jersey City, New Jersey 07310

Your Offer Price: $70.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $140.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$28.44

Total Charges: $168.44

Thanks to Thereuare for running a great site!

Courtyard at Newport Jersey City is right next to PATH station that I passed by every morning, another side you will find this wonderful restaurants including this Confucious Chinese Restaurant that you will sure enjoy. Across street is Newport Center Mall with food court, Cienema...etc that has Light Weight Rail in between and Farry behind. To certain extend, the location is much better. You can walk over to brand new Target to buy some supply if you stay long term ...

As to Hyatt, I have bid all the way to the end of the year... crazy? What it really crazy to me is that I have got NONE so far for this hotel when I got a lot last year ...

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]