Priceline Hotel: Santa Monica MDR aug 10 4 Nights 3+* Help Please

neilmcall
By neilmcall,
in

Hi

Newbie seeking assitance from UK to secure best price for Santa Monica/MDR staying August 10 for 4 nights. I'm traveling with wife and daughter (14).

I've registered with priceline and just had an ambitious $103 rejected but will possibly go a little higher but have a car so will have to take parking into account. We are setting off on friday so wanted to book something before leaving.

Also can i rebid using a different area without any 3+* hotels as we really want SM/MDR

Cheers

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Newbie seeking assitance from UK to secure best price for Santa Monica/MDR staying August 10 for 4 nights. I'm traveling with wife and daughter (14).
PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, which means you could receive a room within only one bed, and the hotel may be unable, or unwilling, to change it and provide you a room with two beds... is this an acceptable risk?
Also can i rebid using a different area without any 3+* hotels as we really want SM/MDR
Were you bidding for a 3* hotel in the SM-MDR zone? If so you can add a re-bid zone (a zone which only containes hotels rated less than the star rating your bidding... you have ONE such re-bid zones when bidding 3* in this region, feel free to confirm it with the board or ask questions before bidding (see this thread for more information regarding Priceline Re-Bidding Explained)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

A rebid zone is one that ONLY has hotels of lower quality than you're seeking. When you go to Priceline's LA homepage and click each zone, one at a time, there's only ONE zone that only goes as high as 2*. That's Lawndale.

Did you bid $103 for a 3.5* or a 3*? Or both?

We only used a 3.5* as we want to make sure we have a pool.

A pool isn't guaranteed on Priceline at ANY bidding level.

That said virtually 100% of 3* bids recently accepted in SM-MDR zone have been at the Courtyard Marina Del Rey, and they DO have a pool. (Looks like a nice pool too in their website photo.)

Courtyard MDR is $169 for your dates so I think there's some chance you could win it for less than the amounts you've already bid for 3.5*.

Any interest in trying for a 3* then? Courtyard isn't guaranteed, but it's the most likely outcome, if anything. If you want to try I suggest $70 for a 3* in SM-MDR. Then add your one rebid zone (Lawndale) and bid $80.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link.

We looked at the Courtyard but thought it was too far out as we would like to walk to the beach.

We have a backup booked for now.

We will try for a 3.5* again tommorrow in Sm/MDR.

1. Any idea what we might need to go to to secure one?

2. What areas can we use if our first bid is unsuccessful?

Cheers

We looked at the Courtyard but thought it was too far out as we would like to walk to the beach.

Bidding 3.5* level you could win the Marriott Marina Del Rey. The 3.5* in Santa Monica aren't necessarily beachfront hotels either. Sheraton Delfina's about six blocks inland. Are you willing to accept ANY 3.5* hotel in PRICELINE's SM-MDR zone?

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel in the area? If your bid is rejected where would you stay and for how much?

Based upon the above, what would be your maximum bid for a 3.5* hotel in this zone?

Let us know the above and well suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Rates at the moment seem high and I don't think you're going to beat your back-up rate. I don't know what your $125 all-in with taxes and parking equates to in bid amounts, so i'll go up to $100 and you can adjust the numbers up/down accordingly.

At the 3.5* level you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3.5* MDR...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]