Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USE) Westin St Francis

BarSue4
By BarSue4,
in

I am new to BetterBidding but have found your forum extremely informative and would appreciate any assistance possible in securing 2 rooms - 9/7/10-9/8/10 (2 nts) - that would first of all be in a safe area, clean, close to transportation, and be under $100/rm/nt. I have been on Priceline's site previously, but will now use Priceline above. Is under $100 a night unrealistic during this time? Am I a little early in the bidding process? I noticed there are not many calendar wins during September.

Since a means of transportation would be important, would the preferable area be USE or USW? 4* or 3 1/2* is preferred in USE, FD, SOMA, FW in that order. I've read that USW hotels could be in an undesirable area. We want to spend no more than $100 (before taxes/fees). If we need to drop to 3*, we will of course; just not sure where.

We have a lot of users on the board who are local to or know this area very well and i'd wait for one of them to confirm, but i believe what you heard about the USW is that it contains the "tenderloin" although i don't think it is an issue for any of the known 4* which have been reported to the board (ie- the 4* hotels in the USW are all in an acceptable area, but again, hopefully somebody can confirm)

With the above noted i don't think you're budget is going to be an issue and you should be able to get something in the USE for ~$100 or less for the nite above.

Let us know if you want to start bidding in the USE zone with a $100 maximum bid OR if you prefer to wait for a reply regarding the USW zone and/or include other zone(s) in your bidding.

Also, what is more important... price or zone? In other words, did you want to bid up to your limit for your first zone choice (USE) and then if rejected lower to 3.5 or add other zones... OR is your goal the least expensive 4* or better in any of the zones you've indicated above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since a means of transportation would be important, would the preferable area be USE or USW?

USE and USW and across the street from each other. You'll have good access to public transportation in either zone. Are you taking BART from the airport? If so we could look on Hotwire and other sites for a downtown hotel that's near a BART station. (Any hotel will be close to public transport, i.e. MUNI buses/trains and or cable cars, but not every hotel is near a BART station.)

USW is nearer the Tenderloin than USE. There are several long threads and discussions here about USE vs USW, and on TripAdvisor, that can help you decide if you want to bid in USW yourself. Since you have several other acceptable zones besides USW I don't think you need to include it this far ahead if you don't want.

Of your zones, FW is fairly nice, but a little more difficult in terms of transport. The cable cars go right there, but are often so crowded you have to wait quite a while to get on. The F Market runs along the Embarcadero up to FW. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) If you stay there, that may be a quicker, easier way to get around. Also - get a MUNI pass. You can jump on and off cable cars, MUNI cars, buses and trolleys with impunity. (Just not BART)

Wow! I'm impressed with all the information. Thanks everyone.

Thereuare...

If all hotels with a 4* rating are in nice areas, it won't matter where we stay as long as we can get around without the use of a car. We certainly don't mind spending less than our budgeted $100.

The only concern would be if we move to a 3 1/2* or 3*. There are a few hotels in these categories we would prefer not to stay. But we also understand that when we bid, there is no preference.

Colfax...

We didn't know BART is an option for transport from the airport. Do others do that carrying their suitcases to their hotel? Or perhaps use a shuttle or taxi? We've never been to San Francisco so we're not savvy public transportation people yet.

Gallus50...

Thanks for the tips on local transport. Are MUNI and BART the same system? And is the MUNI pass purchased on a daily basis?

We didn't know BART is an option for transport from the airport. Do others do that carrying their suitcases to their hotel? Or perhaps use a shuttle or taxi? We've never been to San Francisco so we're not savvy public transportation people yet.

Yes, a lot of people take BART from the airport BART station to downtown with their luggage. $8.10 one-way per person. It's easy--one train, no transfer. At the other end there are several hotels within a block or less of downtown BART stations.

Or take a shared shuttle for around $15-$18. Not much more than BART fare and easier than BART if you're carrying much luggage, or staying at a hotel that's not by a station.

Or take a cab for about $45-50.

As far as your hotel....best price for a 4* is usually on Priceline. I don't know if BART factors into your plans or not. If you BART from airport we could look for a hotel near a BART station on Hotwire, although HW usually costs a little more than Priceline. If you're taking a shuttle or cab then being near BART doesn't matter and you could use Priceline to try and get the lowest price in your acceptable zones.

If all hotels with a 4* rating are in nice areas, it won't matter where we stay...
USE and USW and across the street from each other. You'll have good access to public transportation in either zone. USW is nearer the Tenderloin than USE. There are several long threads and discussions here about USE vs USW, and on TripAdvisor, that can help you decide if you want to bid in USW yourself. Since you have several other acceptable zones besides USW I don't think you need to include it this far ahead if you don't want.

What some find a "nice area" others may find "not so nice" so you'll need to do a little research to determine your own comfort level to determine which zones you want to add and when.

...USE, FD, SOMA, FW in that order
As well, note that you commented, "in that order", so there is likely a preference for USE over FD, the question is if you're willing to pay a little more to say in your first choice of zone OR if you're looking for the least expensive in any of the zones you mentioned (if the latter we'll also need to know if we should include USW in this mix as well)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you all for the tips. We would be happy anywhere with a 4* hotel, so I believe this is where I'll start. When moving to 3 1/2* or 3*, it becomes a little more difficult because some of the hotels within the categories do not tend to have very positive consumer ratings. Would not mind staying at any of 3 1/2* within USE...maybe even FW. I do not recall any 3 1/2* within USW or SOMA.

As far as transportation, we will make that decision once the hotel is secure. I'm fairly certain we will take the shuttle or BART system to the hotel. Very happy to be informed however.

So, I think I will begin the bidding process on Priceline...on BetterBidding, of course. Can you offer your strategy?

Rates can go up or down. Nobody knows. Right now rates look pretty average for 9/7-9/9. If you can't win a 4* for $100 or less now I expect that you will closer to your dates. If your plans are firm (PL reservations are nonrefundable) it's not too early to bid now.

I understand you don't want to bid for a 3* in USW but it's not clear to me if a 4* in USW is allright. Did you want to include USW in your 4* strategy, or just USE, SOMA, and FD?

When bidding for a 4* in SF you've got FIVE rebid zones. If you need help ID'ing your rebid zones let us know and someone will post a link on how to do. Feel free to post the five zone names here for confirmation before you bid.

I suggest select USE, USW, SOMA, and FD and bid $70 for 4*.

Add rebid zone 1 (any of the five, it doesn't matter which)...bid $75

Add rebid zone 2...bid $80

Add rebid zone 3...bid $85

Add rebid zone 4...bid $90

If rejected close browser, reaccess PRICELINE, select USE, USW, SOMA, FD, plus the fifth rebid zone (whichever one you didn't use in the first round of bidding)...and bid $92.

Add rebid zone 1...bid $95

Add rebid zone 2...bid $98

Add rebid zone 3...bid $100

Please start each new round of bidding with the PRICELINE link. Good luck!

Try each acceptable zone separately, adding successive rebid zones. You can make a lot of bids this way. You can even combine two acceptable zones, then add rebid zones, but keep close account on your bidding and zones so you don't make a mistake. (Though we all have, at one point or another....)

Yes, you have your re-bid zones correct (always doublecheck them just before starting a bidding cycle to make sure that nothing has changed)

You can follow the strategy Colfax outlined above or ask any questions if you're unsure.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Hotwire has a 4* in USE for $109. PRICELINE usually beats HOTWIRE on rate so I think you might have success somewhere between $88 and $100 now.

Since rates aren't high (Hilton SF's rack rate is only $126) I think you might win something for a little less than $88 closer to your dates. No guarantee though.

You could also try for a 3.5* in USE now, since you've indicated the 3.5* in USE are acceptable. (If you try for 3.5* only two rebid zones, not five.)

Whether you want to bid higher than $88 now or keeping trying up to $88 for a few more weeks is up to you, based on your preference for settling this now vs holding out for maximum potential savings.

Thanks for doing the research, Colfax.

I tried the $88 bid again for USE and was countered with $103, but continued bidding to $91 and stopped.

To bid 3 1/2* in USE, it was my understanding there were 4 rebid zones: Civic, Marina, SSF & SFO N. Please advise.

Thanks again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]