Priceline Hotel: 3* San Diego (Point Loma-Shelter Island-Old Town) Mission Plaza

steenbean
By steenbean,
in

After much research on this site, I have to say I'm VERY disappointed with our "win". Here's how it progressed:

Downtown,Port Loma, Coastal bid $55

refused, added zone1 bid $65

refused, added zone2 bid $70

Refused, reduced to 3 1/2* bid $50

refused, add zone1 bid $55

refused, add zone2 bid $60

refused, add zone3 bid $65

refused, add zone4 bid $70

refused, reduced to 3* bid $50

Accepted bid and booked the Mission Valley Hotel and Suites

After reading online reviews, I can't believe they have this hotel listed at "3*" It looks terrible. This is for our 1 year anniversary...sad. Might not try Priceline again after this...

First, Happy Early Anniversary! :)

Second, I'm very sorry to hear that you are disappointed by the result. I looked at the reviews on tripadvisor and they are pretty bad (2.5/5 and below on tripadvisor is pretty dismal), with a number of Priceline users disappointed even at discounted rates. What I would suggest is to write a letter to Priceline (or call) noting your dismay at the result (and that this is a 3*), primarily focusing on the reviews. They may not let you change, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Hopefully this will turn out well and you'll be able to enjoy your anniversary.

Thank you for sharing your result with the board and using the site's PRICELINE link.

Enjoy your stay.

I tried this and they said they would "investigate and email within 48 hours". I'm not really expecting much in the way of results with them. Only disappointed because it's our anniversary, but....at $178 for the whole 4-day weekend I'm happy to spend that extra money doing FUN things - like a fishing trip and the zoo!

Thanks for the advice Aaron, will let you know what PRICELINE says.

Here's the reply I received:

hank you for your patience while we researched your issue with the

Mission Plaza Hotel And Suites.

We apologize that you are unhappy with your upcoming hotel

accommodations. We do evaluate each participating hotel on many

different criteria, including cleanliness, guest satisfaction, d

There isn't much time for this to play out, but you should also keep an eye on the ratings at the companies above, and if there is a star rating drop there between now and your stay, you may be able to re-visit this with PRICELINE. With the other companies rating this property 3* i don't think there is too much you can argue.

You can try HOTWIRE in the future but their star ratings are often even more 'generous' then PRICELINE's, but a better suggestion, regardless of which you service you use in the future, would be to do your homework and/or ask for help here first... we can't always keep users out of 'trouble', but this hotel was previously reported to the board at this star level, so you would have at least known that this was a possibility in the area and bid accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe your comments to Priceline paid off after all, steenbean, because another poster, soccermacmom, reports today that the Mission Plaza is now downgraded from 3* to 2.5*.

Unfortunately your stay is already over so you're probably not entitled to a refund (since the hotel was apparently still rated 3* while you were there). But if you call Priceline and complain again they might give you some bonus bucks or make some other adjustment.

I saw that!!! How ROTTEN!!!! Our stay actually went really well. They upgraded us to a Jr. Suite at no extra charge (for $50/night a suite of any kind is decent), and our room was very clean. I see what the reviews say about it needing an upgrade, but maybe our room was nicer than most?? Anyway, I almost want to pursue the credit idea just off of principle but the hotel exceeded my expectations based on others' reviews. No Hyatt for sure, but it served us well!

Not just a suite but a clean suite! That should have been a welcome surprise on your anniversary.

This was the Holiday Inn Mission Bay until recently. It used to be a 3* in Coastal zone, then Priceline shifted it into Point Loma zone a couple years ago. In both zones the hotel got complaints that it wasn't as good as other 3* in zone.

This is a motel style property with exterior corridors and parking in front of rooms. Some people think motel style properties should never be rated 3*. Maybe the hotel will be better recieved now as a 2.5*.

Thanks for the report back.

steenbean, I'm glad you had a good stay. I was hoping you would!

I think I remember seeing posts about this when it was the Holiday Inn Mission Bay. We've spent many nights in hotels in that area as we've had two daughters at PLNU, and also did the summer soccer tournaments in SD for many years.

I hope they are able to improve the hotel, and make it a nice solid 2-1/2*.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]