Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USW-Nob Hill) Parc 55 Wyndham

*aNn*
By *aNn*,
in

This will be my first time bidding on Priceline (and I will be using the PRICELINE link from the forum).

To San Francisco on days: July 21-24, 4 days 3 nights, my boyfriend and I would like to stay as close to Union Square East (?) as possible. Basically close to the Macy's, so we can just trolley anywhere else. We will be driving up there from Orange County and would love any suggestions for bars, nightclubs, and nightclubs. Also, should we opt out of having our cars in the hotel overnight for somewhere else? To keep our sanity, should we take the taxi to get around, rather than attempt to drive and park in areas we're unfamiliar with?

I've been to San Francisco before, but it's been several years.

We'd like to stay in a 3.5*-4* hotel for hopefully less than $100/night; since it'll be weekdays we'll be staying there (wed, thurs, fri).

Looking forward to the advice.

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3.5* OR is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay? (as your budget may likely be enough for a 4* hotel)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

To keep our sanity, should we take the taxi to get around, rather than attempt to drive and park in areas we're unfamiliar with?

Unless you're leaving the city, like on a day trip to Napa or Monterey or Muir Woods, you're probably best off parking your car and using cabs and public transportation. You can usually find cheaper parking than what the hotels charge within a couple blocks.

Hi Thereuare - thank you for the welcome. As for my star hotel selection, I am looking for the least expensive 3.5* or a 4*. We would be very open to staying at a 4* as long as each night stay totals less than $100. We're stressed out graduate students that just need to get away :) So any more money we can put towards a nice restaurant or nightclub, we would definitely lean towards that, rather than high-end concierge service.

Hi Colfax - I was reading in other posts and I guess it is better to take the taxi rather than attempt to park/drive through the hilly areas of SF. Hopefully we can avoid parking in the hotel structure. Thanks.

At the 3.5* level you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* USE...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* USE and re-bid zone4...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $95

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

*aNn*,

Your best bet for getting around is a 3 day Muni Pass, which allows for unlimited rides on cable cars, F-line trolly, busses, and Muni subway. Haven't had a car in the city for a long time. A three day pass is $21 and considering a one way trip on a cable car is $5, we have ours paid for easily the first day. A single day pass is $13 if you need it for the fourth day. On another note, San Francisco is an easy city to walk.

Good luck.

I read over the re-bidding post. I understand that the re-bid needs to have a "change" and that change should include an area that does not have the star-rating that I am searching for.

I believe my problem I'm running into is researching on PRICELINE about which areas do not have the * hotel I am looking into.

I went into priceline and did a trial 4* search and theres about 25 hotels surrounding general Union Square, a couple in Nob and Fin District. I would love to get a decent price for a 4*, but then there are limited hotels for a 3.5* which I believe would be right in our budget (no more than $100/night).

I'm just scared about getting a good price for a 3.5* hotel in a not favorable area.

Thanks Slruud - we will definitely consider the Muni Pass. That's quite perfect.

Assuming what I've done is correct... so far I've been rejected for dates 7/21-7/24:

USE - 3.5* $70, 3.5*&4*$75

USE & USW - 3.5*&4* $80

If this is too difficult for me to understand, would I have better off testing my luck through Hotwire ?

I believe my problem I'm running into is researching on PRICELINE about which areas do not have the * hotel I am looking into.

You don't want to use the "retail" version of PRICELINE to determine your re-bid zones.

Use the search box on the top right corner of the board and enter the city and dates of your stay, this will take you directly to the 'name your own price' page where you want to be.

1) Select the first zone, scroll down the page to the star ratings, and see the highest star rating available (some will be 'selectable' while others are 'greyed out')... make a note of the higher star rating available.

2) UNcheck the first zone, select the second zone, and repeat the process of seeing the highest star rating available in the area.

3) repeat for each zone in the area, making sure that when you look at which star ratings are offered, that only ONE zone is selected

Ask questions regarding the above and/or let us know your findings by listing each of the zones here and the highest star rating available in each.

We'd like to stay in a 3.5*-4* hotel for hopefully less than $100/night

You've bid to $80. You may have success between $80 and $100. If you meant $100 including tax and fees you still have room to bid a little higher, like to $85.

If you want to keep it under $80 I'd try for 3* in USE and USW. Some pretty good hotels at 3* level too.

HOTWIRE has a 4* in USE for $104. But HOTWIRE's USE zone includes PRICELINE's USE and SOMA-Moscone zones so this could be a hotel in SOMA, and you're wanting something near Union Square.

I just wanted to say that following your threads has given better insight to trying Priceline for the first time for San Fransico too.

This could be a newbie question, but I'm curious... if you're willing to pay $85 for your hotel, is the re-bidding process (which you tend you start at say $70) just to help you get it for less than $85?

Basically what I'm thinking is that, if *I* didn't want to continue to re-bid (mainly because I don't get it), could I just bid for the same area USE & USW every day for $85 until it gets accepted? (If it ever gets accepted)

Sorry if this interferes with your thread, anyone is more than welcome to move this into mine :)

But thanks for your helpful thread anyhow!

Thanks Thereuare - I'm going to try the Priceline box/link up there too. But to be honest, I'm so scared to get a hotel in a place too far from USE that I may not select many other zones for my rebidding; since I'm still trying to figure it out.

Colfax - as I mentioned in another SF thread, I will definitely start bidding up to $85. I'd like to keep my hotel expenses at less than $100/night; so I'll continue with hopefully some luck for a 3.5*-4* hotel.

Again my travel dates are for Wed July 21 to 24 - I have a decent amount of time to bid till then right? Cause I'm considering taking the "easy" way and just bid once everyday for USE/USW for $85. Unless I'm missing a big concept of using Priceline :) Its mainly getting a hotel for less than the advertised price?

ACCEPTED - $82 Parc 55 Wyndam (USW) July 21-24

This was all by fluke. After reading all these useful threads, I got excited and won on my 2nd bid adding USW. (1st bid 3.5* USE $80.)

Thank you for all your help everyone.

Now to do research for where to eat and what to do :)

ACCEPTED - $82 Parc 55 Wyndam (USW) July 21-24

This was all by fluke. After reading all these useful threads, I got excited and won on my 2nd bid adding USW. (1st bid 3.5* USE $80.) And I used the PRICELINE link/box up top.

Thank you for all your help everyone.

Now to do research for where to eat and what to do :)

ANn - Congratulations on your winning bid. Sounds like a good deal for SF in the summer.

In the future, you need to learn about re-bid zones. SF has plenty, and you can get a lot more bids and wiggle room by using them. Check out the FAQ's for more info.

Nonetheless, you did well, so have a great trip.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you received a nice deal on this property and that you're happy with the results.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

If you want to learn more about re-bidding so that you're prepared the next time you bid, feel free to ask questions by continuing this thread.

Have a great trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]