Priceline Hotel: 2* Newark (Meadowlands-Rutherford) Holiday Inn Express

Bob Loblaw
By Bob Loblaw,
in

I have been trying for the last few days to try to secure one of the 4* hotels in Jersey City and the last few days this will happen- I make my bid for the 4* Jersey city in the 90+$ range and it is not accepted. I then add one of my free re-bid zones and bid a higher amount and it also doesn't get accepted BUT instead of re-directing me to the re-bid page where I can add another zone, it takes me to the hotel list and says "Thank You for Naming Your Own Price

...instead of re-directing me to the re-bid page where I can add another zone, it takes me to the hotel list and says "Thank You for Naming Your Own Price – Unfortunately, we can't accept your offer.During our search, however, we did find special priceline rates available for your travel dates at the hotels shown below."
Not everyone knows about re-bidding and many probably simply leave the PRICELINE website if their first bid is rejected. Since PRICELINE knows you need a hotel room, they will sometimes redirect you to their "retail" offerings in an attempt to get you to buy a hotel the traditional way (ie- knowing the price and name of the hotel)... it's simply cross-marketing between channels.

When PRICELINE redirects you to the "retail' page of offerings, you can still bid again by closing the browser and re-accessing PRICELINE thru our links. They're directing you there simply on a crossmarketing basis... they know you need a hotel, and since your bid was unsuccessful, they'll try to sell you a room thru their 'retail' channel.

...Soho Financial District as an alternative (will start a new thread if I go that route) and it seems that one can be had for the 120$ range. Is this a reasonable alternative to Jersey City?
Rates are very high for this nite and $120 for a Downtown NYC hotel would be great... are you seeing a hotel offered in this zone for $120/nite or what basis are you using to believe you can receive a hotel in this zone for $120/nite on the nite above?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yeah, I was just basing the 120$ on past wins but it appears to be a busy period in these areas.

I have gone as high as 140$ in Jersey city for the 4 stars and 150$ in Soho for 3.5 stars.

Also tried for a 4* in Jersey city for Tuesday, May 25 and even midweek I didn't get accepted for 140$.

Thought I might book a suite at the Doubletree for the Saturday just through their website as a back-up plan.....sold out.

Courtyard Jersey city through their website.....sold out.

Marriott Finacial district........sold out.

So....getting a little nervous now. Still needing two rooms (or one suite) for Saturday, May 22 with easy NY access.

Budget max...300$ taxes in.

Also, needing one room in Jersey city for Tuesday, May 25.......JFK area would work well too (fly out from there Wednesday)

Travelling with 9 month old twins so need something with decent reviews. I have stayed at the 4* hotels in Jersey city and ideally they would be perfect but this time last year I paid 74$ for the Hyatt. Either it is VERY busy, the economy has made a major rebound or the secret is out that Jersey city is a cheap alternative to NY.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Plans may have changed since then. Fly into JFK Saturday A.M (May 22) and need a room for that evening (2 rooms) and then we are heading to Philadelphia Sunday A.M-Tuesday A.M (booked the downtown Marriott for those dates) and then we are heading back to NY for Tuesday and need a room that evening (May 25th) before flying out of JFK on Wednesday, May 26th.

Still also looking into a car rental for May 22-26 from JFK as well.

Would Newark work? (Hilton Penn Station maybe)-easy access to NY and forget the car rental and take the train to Philly?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't recommend making the trip from JFK-->Newark as traffic is unpredictable and that has the potential to be a hike and a half... then first head into the city; not a good way to start a vacation. However, these are still very tough dates so not sure what your budget/options are.

Not sure of your demographic, but another option from NYC-->Philadelphia is Bolt Bus and Mega Bus... both are somewhat new to the area so their buses are new and come wifi equipped :) Rates start at just $1, but this close to your trip probably more in the $10-$15ow price... you'll need the savings for your hotel room :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have decided to try to secure a NYC hotel for May 22nd after failing to get one in Jersey City. I think we are going to take your advice and take a bus from NY to Philly the following morning. Looking at the website you provided, it leaves from NY Penn Station so somewhere close to there would be ideal. Would like to keep it under 200$ taxes in. Possible? Time is not on our side either.....we arrive Saturday AM. Plan of attack?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in to close out my intinerary.

For Saturday May 22nd.....my sister in law went ahead and booked @ the Holiday Inn Express in Carlstadt through PRICELINE for 160$. Somehow I think she ended up getting it for above their lowest rate on that date so I have to look into that (told her to check with me first-in laws for ya').

For Tuesday May 25th, I booked through PRICELINE and went with the Fairfield Inn JFK for 159.00$ (+tax). I did not use "name your own price" because we didn't like the other options that could have come up.

Both hotels were fine.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]