Priceline Hotel: 4* San Francisco (USE) Grand Hyatt

awk316
By awk316,
in

Hi,

I'm currently bidding on a 4* in San Francisco's Union Square East on Priceline. I thought I'd post my attempts to help others.

Dates are 6/18/10 to 6/20/10, which is the weekend of the US Open at Pebble Beach (golf).

We are expecting to get the Grand Hyatt, which we are aware charges $50/day to park (OUCH!!!)

I started at $65. My wife and I each bid 6 times per night, incrementing by one dollar.

Night 1: $65 - $76 ... not accepted

Night 2: $75 - $86 ... not accepted

Night 3: $80 - $91 ... not accepted (I noticed the suggested price dropped from $260 to $249, so I started back at $80)

Note: At $86, it said if we raised it $17, we could rebid. We just kept going by $1.

Due to the $50/day parking, we're going to rethink our area choices and/or star rating.

Hyatt.com is $176, so I was expecting to get it for $88 (50%). Kind of disappointed.

Hi,

We decided to try USW-Nob Hill as it looks like those hotels are a little cheaper (Hilton.com is $125).

Since we used up all our 4* bids tonight on USE, we only got 1 bid each tonight.

Do to the lower prices online for USW, we are starting again at $65.

Night 1: $65 and $66 ... not accepted.

I will update this tomorrow. We'll try $67-$80.

We are of course using the PRICELINE HOTELS link.

Andy

We are expecting to get the Grand Hyatt...
You could also get Westin St Francis. Grand Hyatt is $160 in PRICELINE retail now and WSF is $161.
...which we are aware charges $50/day to park (OUCH!!!)
If you're willing to walk a block or two you can park for $20's.

Priceline almost always accepts less than their counteroffer. Given that $17 counteroffer to your $86 it's likely you can win a 4* in USE for $90-100 now.

I will update this tomorrow. We'll try $67-$80.
If you're rejected to $80 in USW I'd probably wait a week and try that again. Hilton SF is only $124 for your dates, so an $80 win in USW seems very possible if you're patient.

Good luck and thanks for using the board's PRICELINE links.

Since we used up all our 4* bids tonight on USE, we only got 1 bid...

Actually you can continue to bid...

If you bid just the USW zone, you could then add USE and increase your bid, then continue to add the other re-bid zones and continue to increase your bids... since these zones have never been used with the USW zone in your previous bidding cycle.

If the above isn't clear, or you would like a more detailed bidding strategy, just post back and we can explain in more detail.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

We prefer USE as it seems to be a nicer area based on Tripadvisor reviews. We're just trying to balance how much more USE is worth to us over USW. Based on the provided info that the Grand Hyatt is now $160, we decided to start over on USE at $80:

4* USE: $80 - $91 bidding by $1 increments ... not accepted.

Note: At $87 said we could rebid if we added $17. We just kept going at $1.

As I expect to get USW for around $75, we decided to move onto trying USW at lower rates.

4* USW: $67 - $80 bidding by $1 increments ... not accepted.

Note: Frustrating since Hilton is $124. Should be able to get for around $62 (50% off). We've used this site with Priceline numerous times, and almost alsways get about 1/2 off the going rate on the hotel's website. As Colfax stated, I may just need to wait for the dates to get closer.

USW seems to be not much less than USE, so I think we're going to stick with USE and try to get it for under $104. As Colfax commented, I am confident we will get it for under $104 since Priceline offered use a rebid of $17 more (or $104).

We will attempt USE tomorrow from $92-$103.

- Areas besides USE and USW that DON'T have 4*, so you can use them to rebid:

Civic Center

Fisherman's Wharf

Marina

SFO North

South San Fran

- Therefore, for USE we start w/ USE. Then add Civic Center and rebid. Then add Fish Wharf and rebid. Continue getting 6 bids per person (12 total per night).

- As thereuare pointed out, I could do this same thing with, so we did. Started with USW (at lower price as these hotels go for less than USE). Then add USE (since I'm ok if I got USE as it has a 4*) and rebid. Then add Civic Center and rebid. Continue with all areas getting 7 bids each (14 total per night).

Would you consider 3.5* in USE? Reported 3.5* in USE are San Francis Drake and Marriott Union Square.

We considered it early on, and decided to go with the 4*. Now that we are not getting a 4* for the price we wanted, I agree it's worth reconsidering. I'll look at reviews on TripAdvisor and see if we want to go that route. It looks like the last two winning bids got the Sir Francis Drake for $65 and $77, repectively. I'll also have to consider the parking costs, although based on your previous comments, I think we can get a general public lot for in the $20s. The issue will be if it is 24 hour or not, as we need to leave early on Sunday to get to Pebble Beach for the US Open Final Round.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Andy

Alright, after much consideration and TripAdvisor reviewing, we've decided on continuing with bidding on a 4* at USW-Nob Hill.

Specifically, I compared the Grand Hyatt (USE 4*), the Parc 55 (USW 4*), and the Sir Francis Drake (USE 3.5*) in detail as I believe these are the most likely to be won based on recent postings. Of course, I understand that many more are possible and I'll live with it should that happen. In the end, I was most impressed with the reviews and pictures of Parc 55 when comparing the 3 hotels. Parc 55 ranks #50 and the Grand Hyatt ranks #100 on TripAdvisor. The Sir Francis Drake, I'm afraid, will be too old for my taste, although I know it is a very popular hotel based on name.

Therefore, we continued bidding for a 4* USW-Nob Hill:

$67-$80 ... not accepted. We tried the same price range since we are following Colfax's suggest of waiting a week or so and being patient.

Another reason I believe we will get the Parc 55 and not the Hilton is because we have not been accepted yet. The Parc 55 goes for $160 on their site, making me think I should get accepted around $80.

Thanks,

Andy

While PRICELINE advertises "up to 50% off on hotels" we some deals with more of a discount, some less, i wouldn't focus too much on that number, and concentrate more if you're getting a good deal or not.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, thereuare.

I'm aware that 50% does not mean you'll always get 50% off. I have seen discounts as much as 70% off.

In my experience, however, 50% has been a good rule-of-thumb to go by for bidding, combined with what others are getting for similar dates. That's why I mention it. For a weekend with a major event though, I will probably not get his big of a discount.

In my experience, however, 50% has been a good rule-of-thumb to go by for bidding, combined with what others are getting for similar dates.

Lately with the recession some 4* in SF have been willing to deeply discount their rack rates on slow nights. It's not unusual to find one or another of them advertising $99 or $109 now, on select nights.

You'd think when that happens the hotels would drop their Priceline rates too, like $50's or $60's . But so far that hasn't been happening. We've seen occasions lately where people had to bid to $80 or $85 on Priceline to win a 4* whose rack rate was about $100.

It's only a 15-20% discount---and less than that after Priceline fee.

Still $80 was still the best price available. It just feels better when it's $80 for a $200 hotel than $80 for a $100.

If it's only $10 or $20 savings you get from using Priceline sometimes it's better to book conventionally so you can choose the hotel, and one bed or two, which you can't do on Priceline.

You've bid to $90 for 4* in USE and $80 for 4* in USW. I think you're probably within $10 of a win in at least one of those zones.

Are you trying to lock something now? Or wait and try the lower bids again in a week or so? Maybe they'll take closer to your dates.

Colfax...great info and insight. Thanks. I see someone got Parc 55 for $83, so I think what we'll do is go from $72-$85 tomorrow, and keep doing this each day until it gets closer (maybe until June 1st?). I bid around is about 9am PST.

If we don't get it by June, I think we'll raise it up. I agree, it shouldn't take too much more to get one of these hotels.

Do you (or other admins/advanced users) know if Priceline tracks how often you are bidding and use that information against you? For example, if I keep bidding, do they know and then not drop? Am I better not bidding for a week then retrying? Kind of seems like conspiracy theory stuff, I know, but I'm sure companies use any information they can to profit (ie, grocery club cards).

I'm not sure how Priceline's interactions with hotels work (likely patented and not accessible information) to gauge how ridiculous this theory may or may not be. If a black suit knocks on my door and you never hear from me again, you'll know.

Thanks!

Andy

awk316,

PRICELINE does not track your bids and adjust the amount needed for future bids. While it may sometimes feel like "you vs. them", remember that PRICELINE wants you to be successful in your bidding... without a sale, they don't collect any booking fee.

grabthedeal,

Please start a NEW TOPIC for your own stay and bidding history.

Thanks.

Rebid $74-$85 ... not accepted.

No offers to rebid if we added $X.

We'll stick with this ($74-$85) for the rest of May (unless I get impatient).

Again, our strategy:

2 people with our own PRICELINE accounts.

Each on us bids on:

USW-Nob Hill

adds USE (Note: Also has 4*, but we are ok if we get USE instead of USW-Nob Hill)

adds Civic Center

adds Fisherman's Wharf

adds Marina

adds SFO North

adds South San Fran

Andy

We'll stick with this ($74-$85) for the rest of May (unless I get impatient).

I expect you'll have success at $85 or less if you're patient. Good luck and keep us posted!

If you don't get something in the next week or so think about booking a cancellable backup somewhere, as inusrance.

If you don't get something in the next week or so think about booking a cancellable backup somewhere, as inusrance.

Thanks, Colfax.

We have done exactly that and we currently have reservations at a hotel that we can get out of.

I've read serveral other posts and people have stated that you (Colfax) are quite familiar with the SF area. What is your opinion on USE vs USW vs Financial? Based on what I've ready I have them in the following order of preference for niceness of neighborhood along with proximity to shops/cable cars:

1. USE

2. USW

3. Financial

Just curious how you would rank them if you were bidding.

I'll rebid in about 20 min.

Thanks,

Andy

1. USE

2. USW

3. Financial

Just curious how you would rank them if you were bidding.

Your stay is a weekend and the Financial District area is pretty quiet on weekends, especially at night. If you enjoy a lot of activity nearby--restaurants, shopping, etc--I'd go with USE and USW. If you prefer a more sedate setting I'd bump Financial District to the top.

Those three zones are very near each other in a fairly compact area. Whichever one you stay in you'll be visiting the others, so I wouldn't sweat too much over which one is best. Each has its advocates and you'll have a swell time staying in any of them (or at a 4* in SOMA for that matter, imo).

Rates aren't especially high and unless that changes I'd keep trying to $85 every few days for a couple more weeks.

Just curious...which hotel did you book as a backup?

PRICELINE

Your wife made a good choice. Harbor Court's got a solid reputation and it's in a safer area, right across from the Embarcadero, very convenient, with easy access to BART and MUNI for getting around town.

I'd consider keeping the Harbor Court at $89 and forgetting about Priceline for this one. Priceline isn't always the best option.

An $85 Priceline win, after transaction fee, will cost more than $89. Bottom line: you won't be saving money through bidding. And you could win a 4* hotel that's not as well liked as Harbor Court, even though Priceline rates the Harbor Court 3*.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]