AZ Phoenix Scottsdale Plaza Resort

dahammer
By dahammer,
in

I recently spent 4 days at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort attending a company meeting. This is an older resort property that is set on 40 acres, and the grounds are well maintained. This property features 5 swimming pools, tennis courts and several restaurants. Most of the rooms have been refurbished and my room was spacious and featured two double beds with a bench at the end of the bed, a wet bar, and two sinks in the bathroom area. Some of the others in my group had smaller rooms with one king sized bed and still a few others had suites with a seperate sitting area. Make sure that you request a room that has been newly remodeled. I did not visit any of the restaurants because each evening we had a company dinner in one of the banquet rooms, but these were all very good and I would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a meeting. The staff was very professional and handled any request promptly. My only gripe is that they tack on a resort fee of $10 per day per room and the state even taxes this fee! This is to cover things like local phone calls. We were also charged a $2.00 per day gratuity for maid service and a one time charge of $8.00 per person for baggage handling; the property is so large, they have small golf carts to take you to the rooms. The gratuities may have been added because we had a group room rate of $150. If you can get this property on Priceline for $100 or less and get a refurbished room, this would be a good deal.

• 2 months later...

Was in Scottsdale for a weekend (April 29 - May 1, 2005) and was able to get this hotel on priceline for $100/night. My wife and I were really impressed with hotel staff, the hotel grounds and the room. It was a nice and relaxing trip and this hotel helped make this trip wonderful. The only draw back we had was there were plenty of banquets and meetings taking place that weekend on the grounds. The main pool was closed all day, but they did give us drink coupons for the inconvience. There is a $12/day resort fee tacked on. But it includes the local calls and parking, which valet is included, just need to do the tipping. The rooms were very spacious and contained two beds and a bathroom with two sinks. The hotel must of been busy with all the things going on in the hotel, however from our room we never heard anyone, except the birds outside the windows that live in the moss. It reminded us of Hawaii. Great place outside Phoenix and close to downtown Scottsdale and other activities. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• 3 months later...

i made a booking for two rooms X eight nights through priceline at $70 a room per night (july 22nd to 30th)

the hotel was clearly not full but we were unable to have adjoining rooms but had rooms on the same corridor - the downside of this is that the corridors are external - we were on the first floor - this does not make me feel particularly secure

the rooms were the standard rooms (priceline) two double beds but they would upgrade to a king room if we paid extra $$

they also have one bed villas which we could have upgraded to for $240 a night - a ridiculous suggestion as we had already paid $140 - we looked at the rooms anyway and decided that they REALLY weren't worth any additional expense

the rooms were a good size but the airconditioning is inadequate for the rooms - never cools down the far end of the room, it is also a VERY noisy method of cooling the rooms - very loud, and extremely obtrusive when you are trying to sleep

we asked for a fridge for my son's medication but was told to empty the minibar instead

the room would have been okay had the air con not been so noisy but the resort itself left a great deal to be desired

the pool area is small with a few brollies and some sunbeds - the hotel was not nearly full when we were there but on one of the three times we went to the pool we were unable to get beds for the four of us

the hotel just seemed a little 'tired' - it was generally clean but not very inspiring, i checked out five days early and booked back in to the marriott desert springs (at additional cost) so that i could at least sleep at night

it has made me cautious of bidding for a resort in scottsdale with priceline incase i should get this place again

by the way, they made HEAVY WEATHER of saying that my booking was with priceline, and if i wanted to change my two rooms for a bigger one to ask priceline! (now we all know where that would get me)

of all the priceline hotels i stayed with this summer - and there were six - this was the only one that mentioned pl when giving me a poor room - i was not eligible for a remodelled room as i had only paid for a standard (remember - the hotel was almost empty)

the other hotels i stayed at gave us what we requested - adjoining rooms (if available), a fridge, an upgrade in one - no priceline prejudice there

they also charge $12 a day - per room - resort fee - so they wanted to charge me an additional $24 a day - not to get any sleep (i got them to take the fee off my kids room) - for this fee you get parking, newspaper and a safe (mine was broken)

i could not in all honesty recommend this hotel - just not up to scratch :)

• 5 years later...

I just spent 7 days at Scottsdale Plaza and found it to be a very pleasant experience. The staff were polite, friendly and accomodating - and didn't make any notice of it being a Hotwire booking. I was given a nice room in an area of the hotel I requested. The lounges at both the main building, and the Remington's building were great.

The prior review really sounds like a different place - and as it was more than 6 years ago, I guess that could explain things. The main pool area is great, nice BIG hot tub (not TOO hot, really, but more like a nice extra-heated pool), and a two level pool with a waterfall in the middle. I suspect that the previous reviewer visited one of the two OTHER smaller pools on the resort property.

The room itself was a little dated in decor, but well maintained - if they hold out a little longer, it'll be retro-chic...and the grounds are meticoulously maintained. If you stay there, try to get a room facing in towards the pool/courtyard area if you're in the main part of the hotel - they seem nicer than the rooms facing the parking lots.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]