Hotwire Hotel: 3* Los Angeles (Glendale-Burbank-Universal City) Holiday Inn Burbank

wallbounce
By wallbounce,
in

I will be driving to LA for the 7/2/2010-7/4/2010 weekend and need to visit both Somis/Camarillo (for a wedding) and San Gabriel. While looking at different areas, I thought that Burbank/Glendale, Westwood, or West Hollywood might be a good compromise since each is about an hour drive to Somis and half an hour drive to San Gabriel. I noticed that on PRICELINE, Burbank/Glendale is grouped under LA San Fernando Valley whereas Westwood and West Hollywood are grouped under LA Central so should I focus on one bid at a time? Are there any other areas that I should look at?

Also, since I would like complimentary parking during my stay, should I go for 3* hotels (via HOTWIRE instead) since those tend to offer complimentary parking as opposed to 4* hotels?

Thanks in advance!

What direction are you driving in from? That's a factor in deciding where would be most convenient.

Also, since I would like complimentary parking during my stay, should I go for 3* hotels (via HOTWIRE instead) since those tend to offer complimentary parking as opposed to 4* hotels?
If you stay in any of the zones your mentioned--Burbank/Universal, Westwood, or West Hollywood--you'll almost certainly pay to park, unless you stay at a 1* or 2* motel. Most 3* hotels in those zones charge for parking too (though the charges tend to be less than at a 4*).

You're more likely to find free or inexpensive parking if you stay nearer to your destinations in Camarillo or San Gabriel.

Somis to San Gabriel is about 65 miles each way, heavy traffic. Any interest in splitting your bid, i.e. spend first night near Somis and second near San Gabriel?

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchases.

I would like complimentary parking during my stay, should I go for 3* hotels (via Hotwire instead) since those tend to offer complimentary parking as opposed to 4* hotels?

Thanks in advance!

From the reviews of the hotel I just won in Burbank-Glendale, the 3* Holiday Inn Burbank-Media Center has free covered parking and free Internet.

That's true, cheap7, parking is free at HI Burbank, and congratulations, btw. But the other 3* and 4* hotels in the zone charge, and there's no way to guarantee someone will win the HI Burbank on PRICELINE.

And to the OP: If you'll settle for cheap parking instead of free parking, out of the zones you mentioned Burbank/Universal is cheapest---like $10-20, or free if you're lucky like cheap7. In the other two zones it's more like $20-40.

Thank you both for the quick responses. I keep getting new responses as I'm typing this!

I'm traveling with 2 other people. Only I will be attending the wedding in Somis so they thought that they could drop me off in Somis and spend their day in San Gabriel. By having a more centrally located hotel, it would be easier for me to catch a ride back from Somis. I know...complicated. Here's the information I've compiled so far.

Budget: The hotel will be split between 3 people so budget would be around $120/night before tax.

Burbank/Glendale Hotels:

4* Hilton Glendale (TripAdvisor #3 of 14 Glendale hotels, 70% rating) - $18/day parking, $99/night via Hotels

3* Marriott Burbank Airport & Convention Center (TripAdvisor #9 of 17 Burbank hotels, 68% rating) - $14/day parking; $89/night via Marriott

3* Holiday Inn Burbank-Media Center (TripAdvisor #10 of 17 Burbank hotels, 60% rating) - free parking, spotted on Hotwire for $83/night

Not in Priceline or Hotwire list:

Courtyard by Marriott LA Burbank Airport (TripAdvisor #3 of 17 Burbank hotels, 90% rating) - free parking, $119/night via Hotels

Out of the above choices, should I start by bidding on Hilton Glendale, and what would be a reasonable starting bid? Burbank is the only zone in LA - San Fernando Valley with 4*. The other 5 zones do not have 4*.

Thanks!

It sounds like you'll be busy with activities (and driving), wallbounce, so I woudn't get a hotel in Westwood or West Hollywood. They cost more, they have high parking, and you won't have time to enjoy them. You'll really be adding to your traffic woes too.

Not that traffic in Burbank is good, but I agree that Burbank/Universal area is a good choice in your situation...it's central with freeway access to both destinations...and usually decent prices.

What are your thoughts, if Burbank-Universal's what you want to try for, or something else. Maybe someone else will have a different suggestion.

If your budget is $120 and there are three people you might win TWO 3* rooms in Burbank Universal on PRICELINE for $60 or less each. Or do you want three in one room? In so then search on HOTWIRE, for "3 adults/0 children", which guarantees two beds.

Note that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy... you'll be three people. Are you willing to accept the risk that you receive a room with only one bed? If not, HOTWIRE would be a better option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy. (or try PRICELINE for two rooms)

Also, note that you can't bid on a specific hotel... you'll need to be willing to accept any hotel in the zone at the star rating (or higher) that you select.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Regarding a room with only one bed, the most I can do is call the hotel ahead of time to note a preference for two beds. I'll find out how well that preference sticks when I check into my Priceline-booked rooms next weekend!

If Hotwire shows a 3* in Glendale - Burbank for $83, what are my chances of getting two 3* rooms via Priceline for less than $60 each?

I know that I can't bid on a specific hotel. The Priceline lists have been pretty accurate, and the Los Angeles - Priceline list shows only one 4* in the following category:

Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley (Burbank - Universal City - Glendale)

4* Hilton Glendale and Executive Meeting Center (previously 3*)

Would there possibly be other 4* hotels in that area? I wouldn't mind winning this or a different 4* hotel for less than $100, haha.

I need to book one room for three people. If I don't name my own price, I can book the following through Priceline for $99/night:

Hilton Glendale

Double Room - Non Refundable

This Room Is Furnished With 2 Double Beds.

Maximum Occupancy Is 4 Guests

When booking by listed price, is there a preference (more affiliate earnings) between using Priceline, Expedia, or Hilton? Also, for my Enterprise rental car, is there a preference between reserving through Hotwire or Enterprise? Since there is no payment due, I made reservations through both sites for the same price.

I need to book one room for three people.
Checking Hotwire for "3/0", which guarantees two beds, I find a 3* in Glendale-Burbank-Universal that appears to be Holiday Inn Burbank, for $79. (And HI Burbank is the hotel with free parking.)

Shuttle, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Laundry, Highspeed

There's also a 3* in Northridge-Van Nuys zone with two beds for $69. Northridge-Van Nuys would also a central location in between your two destinations (actually closer to being halfway point than G-B-U zone is). This hotel hasn't been ID'ed, but the TripAdvisor rating is 4/5, so it ought to be decent whatever it is.

Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, Highspeed

If Hotwire shows a 3* in Glendale - Burbank for $83, what are my chances of getting two 3* rooms via Priceline for less than $60 each?
Noone can quote you chances but I don't think $60 is a ridiculous lowball bid for 3*. It doesn't cost anything to try, so if you prefer two beds you could try $60 for 3* on PRICELINE; then if rejected buy one of the HOTWIRE options, or book two beds for $99 at Hilton conventionally.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into the hotel in Van Nuys (possibly Airtel Plaza Hotel based on amenities and TripAdvisor rating) and decided to stick with Burbank.

I used this site's HOTWIRE link to book the following hotel:

7/2/10-7/4/10

1 Room; 2 nights; 3 Adults

3* Los Angeles (Glendale-Burbank-Universal City) for $79 per night

Amenities: Shuttle, Fitness, Pool, Restaurant, Laundry, High-speed Internet

Recommended in 90% of customer reviews

TripAdvisor rating 3.5 out of 5

Holiday Inn Burbank-Media Center

Hotel rate per night - Hotwire hot Rate: $79.00

Nights: 2

Rooms: 1

Subtotal: $158.00

Tax recovery charges and fees: $22.73

Total price: $180.73

Note to Admin: Please update the title of this thread to 3* Los Angeles (Glendale-Burbank-Universal City) Holiday Inn Burbank-Media Center, $79 ... 7/2/10-7/4/10 for the calendar and move to the LOS ANGELES - Hotwire section.

Thanks!

An extra person is joining my trip so I used the exact same process and booked a second room at this hotel for the same price via this site's HOTWIRE link. A room for 2 people would've been $82/night, whereas a room for 3 people was $79/night.

Admin: Do I need to start a new thread to have this second win posted on the Los Angeles - Hotwire calendar? Thanks again!

Since the same exact dates and the same hotel was received for just about the same price, no need to start a NEW TOPIC... this one is representative of availability for these dates.

Thank you for sharing your results and using the HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your purchase.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

For your dates Holiday Inn Burbank charges the same rate for one king or two doubles--$127.95.

Hotwire randomizes hotel prices within a narrow range. For example, three people searching the same city and zone at the same time, but on three different computers, might see three different rates for the same hotel: like $79, $80, and $82. The range usually isn't large---a few dollars.

Even using the same computer at diferent times of day you might find different Hotwire rates on the same hotel--a few dollars higher or lower.

That $3 difference you found between $82 (2 adults-1bed) and $79 (3 adults-2 beds) is probably is a result of Hotwire's price randominzing function; not that HI charges $3 more for one king than two doubles.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]