Something Odd - Priceline Jumped Me Down Stars

edli
By edli,
in

I know the board is not for complaints, and this isn't one -- I'm talking to Priceline separately, but I was just curious about whether this had happened to anyone else, and wanted to share my experience for whatever it may be worth (which may be nothing - lol).

I've been using Pricline for four years now, probably 20 nights per year, and this is a first. I know what I'm doing with it, so I don't usually mess up.

I did use the PRICELINE links here on the first res.

This is about two reservations made out of 13 over March and April, in which I got jumped down levels to levels for which I did not bid.

Anyway,

With the first reservation, March 28 and 29, I started with Tucson's Ventana Canyon for $40 at 4 stars and 3.5, just for kicks since I knew how unlikely it was, but was planning all along to settle for Tucson Central at 3. When I moved to 3 stars and Tucson Central, I got the Riverpark Inn at $40. I was surprised, since it didn't look like a 3, and when I got there, it was not, and not what I would assume, from experience, I would get for $40 at 3 stars in Tucson. So the next time I stayed in Tucson, two weeks later, I called Priceline first to verify what zone I had bid because I did not want the RIverpark Inn again, and was thinking I'd change zones. The phone guy told me I had bid 3, 2.5, and 2, and that the RIverpark was a 2. I said, I did?!?!? I knew I wouldn't have bid $40 for a 2 star in Tucson, but I let it go, thinking maybe I was temporarily nuts and really did go through bidding down to 2 stars while not changing the amount.

On April 26, I bid in Santa Fe, where I stay probably 10-12 nights per year with Priceline, so I know the zones and stars pretty well (I have not always made those rezzys through these links, but I will). I went through my usual process of bidding $45 for 4.5, 4 and 3 in the Plaza zone, as I have actually gotten lucky there before, but then moved on to rebid at 3 stars in Cerillos Road zone, guessing I might get the Marriott Courtyard, as I usually do (thugh I usually pay $32 for the Marriott, I read that it had gone up in cost and stars). However, I got the Holiday Inn, which is a 2.5 star. So the same thing happened -- I got jumped down a level (at least only 1/2 star this time).

The Priceline people swear I bid 2.5. I know I did not. I have been very careful with all bids since the Riverpark Inn fiasco.

So I am talking with the Priceline folks, asking if this is a browser/platform issue or what. I am about to bid for Washington DC where we start talking real money and substantial difference from 2-3 stars (I can live with overpaying for the Holiday Inn at at a half star difference in Santa Fe, for instance; I feel differently about DC), and terrified this wil happen again. I'll keep y'all posted if anyone wants to know... and I was also curious as to whether this has happened to anyone else and if you were able to figure out what had gone wrong.

So that's a long story!

edli

I've been using Pricline for four years now, probably 20 nights per year, and this is a first.
You do 20 Priceline reservations a year, never post a single one, and now that you have an issue you want opinions and advice?

:)

Please post your two referenced wins in the Arizona and New Mexico boards. Then bump this thread up and someone will address your questions.

Please use these HOTWIRE and PRICELINE links for your purchases.

My travel partner posts; I suppose if I had mentioned that, you might have reacted differently. This is far from my first issue with Priceline, so that assumption's also inaccurate -- mostly, I have a story I wanted to share; my curiosity about whether anyone else has inexperienced it is actually not a big part of my motive in posting here. I'm not deleting it in case it does interest anyone who comes across a similar difficulty, but I'll just walk away now.

...but I'll just walk away now.
Right... without sharing your wins :)

See our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]