Any experience with discounted RVs?

LoneStar
By LoneStar,
in

Planning a trip to Washington State this summer and I'm pretty appalled at the price of lodging in the local National Parks. Heck, with priceline, you kind of think you can get a decent place to stay for less than 60 bucks! It's more than twice that for accomodations within the National Parks.

So I'm wondering whether I should "try something different" and rent an RV. Anybody have experience with this, and a strategy to rent one at a discount? Thanks.

I have rented from Cruise America in the past, this is a franchise or similar to Uhaul. We go up to State College, PA to tailgate and see Joe Paterno's Nitnany Lions. :) The milage charges are usually pretty high, $ .60 per mile or more. I have heard of some folks flying into a location, like the Grand Canyon area and picking up the RV to save time and keep the milage costs down.

thanks for the input. I went to CruiseAmerica to do a price check and it does seem expensive. Basically, I need the per day charge (including something like 100 miles) to be $120 or less or I'm still better off paying the "over-priced" rates in the Nat'l Park lodges. Initially, it doesn't look like I can get the rate that low, but I'll do some more investigation.

Sure is making me think of grabbing a tent and sleeping bags and do the camping thing. It's just hard to pay $150 or $175 to stay in a modest lodge or cabin, when you're used to paying a fraction of that for nicer priceline accomodations.

BTW, not all Nat'l Park lodges are overpriced. I recall paying something around 80 bucks a night in Yosemite last year for a very decent cabin. no complaints at the Bright Angel Lodge at the Grand Canyon, either. It just depends on where you're going.

you might forget a hotel room but won't forget an RV vacation near a national park :) Plus, you can change your scenery every few days by picking up and moving to a new campground. I guess the only downside of going to a campground or an RV park is you might get stuck next to the campers from h***. A colleague has a "Pop UP" trailer and it is perfect for his family of 4; he bought it used for $2500 and will probably sell it for $2000 in 4 years after his kids get tired of it.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]