FL Orlando Wyndam Palace Resort WDW

luveurope
By luveurope,
in

Check in-

When checking in I tried the "$20.00 shown prominently" with the ID suggestion as I asked for an upgrade. (Thanks to this board I am getting over my shyness in this respect. The lady checking me in was in training. ( Uh Oh) First she told me that an upgrade would be an additional $80.00 per night!, then I clarified that I was hoping for a "complimentary upgrade". She looked again at the $20 and whispered that she would see what she could do. She stated that the "suites" in the tower were very dark (which I took to mean the worst rooms for low bidders and not renovated lately) so she put us in the non tower building across the bridge in the recreation island. This is a 6? story building. Stayed on 2nd floor.

Room-

The suite was just a room, but very nice-

1- 2 queen size beds, comfortable, good pillows, with updated beige/cream spa like colors. had a table, regular and one office type work chair for desk. Very clean. Had a balcony/deck overlooking a pond and grass with table and chairs.

2- Even though the building was adjacent to the street and directly across from downtown Disney was perfectly quiet. The lobby was serene and upscale for this building. Hardly saw other people.

3- Bath was small and not very updated, however had additional sink outside tub/shower/toilet area. Think it had Golden door spa soapm shampoo, etc which was very nice.

4- Pool- etc. Well this pool needs to be updated,its small and plain, not an awesome resort pool like the Hyatt. The landscaping around the property seems plain as well. I wouldnt stay here for the "resort aspect", but perfectly fine and very close to everything.

Overall I think this was a screaming deal :) at $85.00 per night, although they do add $10.00 resort fee/night for stuff I didnt use.

i was due to stay here for six nights last summer 30th july - 4th august with my two sons

the check in was chaotic and it became apparent that they had overbooked so i volunteered to spend a night at the grosvenor or hyatt - i chose the hyatt in a flash

the deal was that i would have two complimentary nights stay at wyndham within the next year - i said i would use them in boston in april 2005 - they paid for my town car to the hyatt and for the return the next day

when we finally checked in at they wyndham palace the room was okay but so noisy - too close to the lift and it was difficult to sleep

they offered me a move to an occupied room! finally moving us into the annex - it was very poor more like a 2* than a 4* - i spoke to the duty manager and a better room was found

it is an okay hotel - not too much to commend it really - the pool area is quite basic and a bit tatty - just not what i would expect for a hotel of this rating - it does not compare with the wyndham in boston

i don't think i would stay here again - even for a good price (we only paid $89 through wyndham marketing and it was barely worth it)

by the way - they were over booked on more than two occasions during our stay

• 1 month later...

Spent 3/31 and 4/1/2005 at this property. The room was okay but the rest of the "resort" is tired. Hotwire is stretching it to call this 4*. I give it a 4 on a 10 point scale. There is a very long walk from the self parking lot to the front desk then another long walk if your room is on Pleasure Island. Food and drink VERY OVERPRICED.

• 2 weeks later...

As I promised, here's my review of the Wyndham Palace...

Much like the pictures showed, the exterior was very nice. The woman at the desk was nice and I was able to talk her into moving my room from the 5th to the 18th floor, since I thought it would be a better view.

The rooms were just like most of the reviews said. They are in desperate need of attention. The carpet was lifted and wrinkled, which I actually tripped over. The ceilings had water and rust stains on them. They also has spots where they were patched but the "popcorn" was never replaced. There were several holes and chunks missing on the walls, some patched, but not painted. The beds, though stated as a "queen size" were smaller than a normal queen. The comforters were stained, one with what appeared to be blood and the other with a crusty white substance. The sheets were tattered and torn. The bathrooms, however, were fine, with the exception of a VERY slow drain. I noticed some of the black mold on the ceilings that so many people complained about, but nothing to be too concerned about.

The hotel also hosted two high school proms on Saturday night. There were dozens of drunk high schoolers roaming the hotel and parking lots. Someone kicked a hole in the wall, in the hallway, outside their room. There's nothing I can do about that, but it was somewhat of a annoyance.

Overall, the Wyndham Palace is a far cry from the "resort" level, but was fine for the price I paid. I would never pay their asking price, and would possibly stay there again, but it would probably be my last choice out of the resorts listed through Priceline.com.

*Since seeing is believing, I took pictures of some of the things I wrote about in my review. I dont know how to post pictures on here, but can e-mail them, if anyone would like to see the problems that I spoke of.

• 2 months later...

We stayed in this hotel almost 3 years ago, and we had a really good time. The grounds were nice, and the pool was well-kept. Our room had a funny odor like they had just cleaned the carpets and the carpet was wet (that mildewy smell). We contacted the front desk, and they promptly moved us to a nicer room on a high floor without any hesitation. We could see the fireworks at night from our window. We thought that getting to and from the parks was easy. You can take the hotel shuttle that stops at several hotels in the Downtown Disney area. The plus side is that the Wyndham is one of the first hotels on the route, so it rarely gets full before getting to the hotel (sometimes they skip the hotels at the end of the route because the bus is full). The downside is that you have a pretty good wait on the bus once you leave the hotel. But that's not too different from even the Disney hotel buses. An alternative is to walk over to Downtown Disney and take one of the Disney hotel buses. You can easily ride to one of the hotels on the monorail and take the monorail to the Magic Kingdom or ride to one of the hotels that has a boat to Epcot or MGM. You can also ride to some of the parks directly from there, especially the water parks. It's nice to be that close to Downtown Disney, too, since there is a McDonald's and other non-Disney restaurants plus the shopping options. The walk is only about 10-15 minutes after leaving your room, much less from the pool area. It's probably the closest hotel to Downtown. The hotel is a little old, but not in any worse shape than most of the other hotels in the area, and the staff was friendly. We were there in September, and all of the Spa packages were half price. I'm about to priceline the end of July, too, so thanks for the heads-up! Enjoy your stay.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the deal: the Wyndham is undoubtedly a RESORT..........the sheer size of the property, the amenities, yes despite all the negative rumors you've heard it's a RESORT.....

now here's the problem: it doesn't have the level of service that a RESORT should have........the truth is that the property is so taxed and abused my the constant influx of DISNEY tourists and being that the property is older it simply has major problems

property is enormous, there's valet parking and there's free parking....from the free parking lot (which is huge) to the hotel entrance is an uphill hike in itself....the whole time I was there at all hours of the day and night the check-in line was very long and very slow, they didn't have enough people working behind the desk and the ones who did moved very slowly.....very pretty lobby, art, decorations, very classy, very huge, bellman, valet, security, hotel staff, all the things you would expect at a 4* or RESORT property, pools, hot tubs, tennis, volleyball, 7 restaurants, 24 hr. room service, 1 pool is 24 hrs., convention center, spa center, the list goes on and on

the room....king size bed very comfortable bed and pillows, half a headboard, lights didn't work so well, ceiling fan, nice entertainment center with tv, coffee and tea, mini-bar (but wasn't stocked?), bathroom nice and clean and shower/tub had a sliding door, when I first came into the room I noticed behind the curtains is a sliding glass door leading to an outside enclosure, which had a jacuzzi!!!! :) (btw this wasn't a suite, this was a regular room but not all the rooms have jacuzzis)

so was very impressed.....but now to the problems....a large cockroach came into the room from the outside room.........the hotel had a major problem and the A/C wasn't really working, and everybody in the hotel was complaining about it and it wasn't fixed from the time of check-in to check-out, also there was a musty smell most likely because the air didn't work, 2nd night I notice the water dripping sounds from the A/C and realize after a while the carpet is beginning to get soaked, I try calling the front desk for several minutes and no answer

so I march downstairs, and ask to be moved to a new room........I've learned that screaming and yelling doesn't help I used to do that with hotels and it just makes more trouble, so I just acted calm but made the front desk person realize I was mad, there were several people complaining about their rooms and the A/C and waiting for towels for 8 hours and one man told me his trip had been a nightmare and a snowball of problems from the very beggining, they bumped me to a new room with no jacuzzi but a small balcony, but I also requested they refund my Resort Fee for the 2 nights! :) (they better hold to their word!)

I got it for $87 a night thru priceline, which is a little more then most people get this hotel for..........

would I stay there again.....yes

would I go out of my way to stay there again.....no

right across the street from Downtown Disney, 1 exit on I-4 from Sea World, a couple exits from DISNEY and Universal

for the priceline savings I can't complain, but I will admit the RESORT has some major problems but people are wrong to say it's not a RESORT level property, if you're patient and you save money on your stay you'll see it's actually pretty nice

it's a mixed bag, so the amenities are there but maybe the value is lacking for the service you receive..........but then again this is what happens at DISNEY resorts which are just flooded with people every day of the year

• 3 weeks later...
The comforters were stained, one with what appeared to be blood and the other with a crusty white substance. The sheets were tattered and torn.

That is just gross. I'm sure the hotel would have given you new bedding had you asked. I've had that happen to me at a hotel before and within 30 minutes, they sent up housekeeping w/ brand new bedding and credited my account for one-half my stay (This was at a Holiday Inn in Hickory, NC)

We stayed here August 12-14, 2005, and I was shocked at how much had changed since my last stay. Long before discovering Priceline, I used Travelweb's weekly specials to stay at this hotel. I used to be able to consistently get a rate of less than $129. (Ouch! Glad I discovered Priceline!) Anyway, it's been several years since I stayed at the hotel.

Our room (#970) was in the lower tower. It looks as though it needs to be updated. The ceiling has bubbles, discolorations, and peeling paint. The bathroom door shows past water damage and the wood is splitting at the bottom. However, my biggest disappointment was with cleanliness. There was food on the floor in the bathroom, crumbs on the nightstand, and debris on the floor. (Not surprisingly, we had lots of ants. One bed had many crawling on the comforter. I hate ants! Needless to say, we slept in the other bed after removing the comforter.) We only had one coffee mug for the two of us. I asked housekeeping for another and she told me she didn't have any more. I asked again the 2nd day and the housekeeper told me again that she didn't have one, so I asked if she could get me one or if I should call guest services. She returned within 5 minutes with a mug. The safe had been locked by a prior guest and not left open, so I could not use it. I could have called maintenance, but I decided I would just live without it.

It' still a convenient hotel and the restaurant has a great breakfast buffet.

I would never choose to stay here again, but since I'm now a Priceline girl, the chances of me getting it again are good. I would never pay full price!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]